webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Screen Share Capability with Windows 8.1
Screen Share Capability with Windows 8.1
Like Tree2Likes

Old 05/19/2014, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Has anyone been successful getting their Windows 8.1 computer to screen share with their LG WebOS TV? I have tried multiple times, and I get a notice on my computer that the LG TV is "Not Windows Certified". I chatted with customer service, and they blamed WebOS as being the reason that it is not capable of screen sharing. I challeged them on that, but they basically ignored me... Below is my chat log with LG customer service in case anyone is interested.

5:18 PM Orlando: Hello Gary Phillips. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
5:19 PM Gary Phillips: I am trying to share my PC screen with my new LG TV, however, my computer is stating this LG TV is not windows certified. I am running WIndows 8.1
5:22 PM Orlando: good afternoon may i ask what option are you using the shear the screen from the computer does your computer have widi ?
5:22 PM Gary Phillips: Yes, this computer (as well as my other computer) have widi capability. They are running the Intel chip that has Widi built in...
5:22 PM Gary Phillips: I am using the Device Connector "app"
5:23 PM Gary Phillips: Choosing "PC"
5:23 PM Gary Phillips: Clicking on "Screen Share"
5:23 PM Gary Phillips: Then selecting "INtel WiDI"
5:24 PM Gary Phillips: My computer recognizes the TV. It downloads some software, but then it says it is not windows certified.
5:25 PM Gary Phillips: From a little bit of research I did on the net, this is common since windows updated to 8.1.
5:25 PM Gary Phillips: When is LG going to update their firmware, or am I just doing something wrong?
5:26 PM Orlando: allow me one moment to check some thing
5:26 PM Gary Phillips: ok
5:36 PM Orlando: thanks and sorry for the delay after checking the unit we have here the same does allow the screen shear sorry
5:37 PM Gary Phillips: Is your computer running windows 8.1?
5:38 PM Orlando: yes it is but the issue is not the computer but the web os running in the unit
5:39 PM Gary Phillips: Ok, maybe i did not understand your previous sentence...
5:39 PM Gary Phillips: It sounded like you said that you were successful in getting the screen share on the unit you have.
5:43 PM Orlando: sorry that was a miss type on my part the unit does not allow the screen shear
5:44 PM Gary Phillips: Ok, thank you. Is this something that LG is trying to remedy, or is this going to be a permanent barrier since the TV is running the WebOS operating system?
5:45 PM Orlando: thanks and due to web os that option is not available
5:47 PM Gary Phillips: Ok,but I do not think that is very good answer. One of the reasons I bought this TV was so that I could screen share. If LG does not plan to remedy the situation, this option should not be available on the TV. That becomes false advertisement.
5:48 PM Gary Phillips: How can I elevate this complaint.
5:48 PM Orlando: thanks and please be informed that web os and windows operating system is not the same and the msg you got indicated that
5:48 PM Gary Phillips: ?
5:49 PM Gary Phillips: Even worse answer.
5:49 PM Gary Phillips: I used to own a Palm Pre
5:49 PM Gary Phillips: I currently own an HP Tochpad.
5:49 PM Gary Phillips: I am familiar with WebOS.
5:49 PM Gary Phillips: It should be compatible...
5:49 PM Gary Phillips: I can understand there may be barriers.
5:49 PM Gary Phillips: Either LG needs to figure out a way to overcome those barriers...
5:50 PM Gary Phillips: Or the firmware should be updated on the TV so that it does not even give you the option to "screen share" with a PC running Windows 8.
5:50 PM Gary Phillips: Oddly, though, the TV scree shares my Android phone just fine.
------

5:59 PM Gary Phillips: Basically, I think this is an issue that LG should be actively pursuing to correct. People expect smart televisions to be able to perform screen sharing.
6:00 PM Gary Phillips: Can I please elevate this issue. For LGs sake, you need to be working on a solution. There is a software solution. It just may not be created, yet.
6:00 PM Orlando: sorry but that is not possible with this unit from a computer you may make a physical connection
6:01 PM Gary Phillips: Can I please speak to your manager?
6:01 PM Orlando: thanks i will be very happy to do that
6:02 PM Gary Phillips: Thank you.
Tampaguy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gizmo21
Old 05/20/2014, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

i know it doesnt help 1 bit but every1 i know who bought windows8, uninstalled it eventually and put on win7 instead.

have you tried a guide to disable windows8 driver signature enforcement?
Old 05/20/2014, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

... that -may- be a Microsoft problem more than a LG problem, although I recognize that you don't really care who's fault it is, you just want it to work :-) Unfortunately, I don't have anything WiDi capable to give it a look with.

If you Android phone is WiDi connecting, then it sounds more like Windows refusing to talk to it ..

Have you updated the WiDi software on the computer ? That seems to be a common recommendation...

http://supportkb.intel.com/wireless/...6/article/5780

On the other hand, it looks like it's also pretty common that 8.1 doesn't work with a lot of devices that did work with 8.0
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

Last edited by eblade; 05/20/2014 at 08:10 PM.
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2014, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hello I have a WebOS TV and I just tested the WiDi connection to my laptop HP Split 13 x2, which has windows 8.1 and even when over "Play devices" say that the tv is not windows certified I am able to connect to the tv without any problem.

the TV is detected as play device, here is where it is show as not windows certified, and as projector. The tv gets connected fine. would post a picture but i dont think I am still able to post pictures.

So I dont think the problem is WebOs nor the TV but probably the drivers you are using in your windows computer.
eoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2014, 06:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoga View Post
Hello I have a WebOS TV and I just tested the WiDi connection to my laptop HP Split 13 x2, which has windows 8.1 and even when over "Play devices" say that the tv is not windows certified I am able to connect to the tv without any problem.

the TV is detected as play device, here is where it is show as not windows certified, and as projector. The tv gets connected fine. would post a picture but i dont think I am still able to post pictures.

So I dont think the problem is WebOs nor the TV but probably the drivers you are using in your windows computer.
Thank you very much for your reply. I am happy to hear that someone has gotten it to work. I actually have two laptops with WiDi capability, and both of them present the same barrier. It may be possible that they will work after an update (even though I have them set for automatic software updates).

In order to get the two connected, which WebOS TV "app" did you use? Smart Share? Screen Share? or Device Connector (which ends up sending you to Screen Share)?
Old 05/21/2014, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaguy75 View Post
Thank you very much for your reply. I am happy to hear that someone has gotten it to work. I actually have two laptops with WiDi capability, and both of them present the same barrier. It may be possible that they will work after an update (even though I have them set for automatic software updates).

In order to get the two connected, which WebOS TV "app" did you use? Smart Share? Screen Share? or Device Connector (which ends up sending you to Screen Share)?
both laptops windows8?
Old 05/21/2014, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I am using Screen Share and everything works perfect. I can share my kindle, my cell and laptop screen with the TV.

Are you doing it in the right way choosing the right options on the TV and the windows laptop?
eoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2014, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Tampaguy, make sure you've got the latest Intel driver updates, also, if you're using the Intel chipset
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 05/21/2014, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Tampaguy, make sure you've got the latest Intel driver updates, also, if you're using the Intel chipset
I'm using a Core I3-3217U Intel chip. According to Intel's website, the chip is WiDi capable. I am unable to update the driver, though. When I try to install the Intel WiDi Update tool, I get the following error message:

"Your system has an Intel Wi-Fi adapter that is not supported by this update tool".

Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Old 07/19/2014, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm using a Core I3-3217U Intel chip. According to Intel's website, the chip is WiDi capable. I am unable to update the driver, though. When I try to install the Intel WiDi Update tool, I get the following error message:

"Your system has an Intel Wi-Fi adapter that is not supported by this update tool".

Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Just registered to hopefully give you a useful reply, one of the reasons i bought web os lg tv was for Intel widi, the other devices tiu have work fine as they are using miracast, not Intel widi, you've answered your own question, its the wireless card in your laptop that's the problem, i had the same issue with a hp split that had a realtek card, i bought a cheap card for Ģ9.99 on amazon that's listed as comparable on the Intel site, and it works perfect now, i too was pretty annoyed as thought widi should work based on the cpu and chipset

It may be your card is unable to work with the newer Intel specifications the latest version greatly reduces the delay.

Not sure if windows 8.1 has a miracast option to project? Replying to this on my phone, ill try and remember to update the post with the WiFi card that worked for me, so far my main issues with web os is the time it takes to initialise, miss the response on my old non smart tv
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2014, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

This may be the solution to your problem:
How to Use Non Certified Play To Devices in Windows 8.1 | Barbs Connected World
RutgerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2014, 02:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

I am very disappointed with Microsoft. I purchased a Dell WIDI laptop only to find that my brand new LG Smart TV is "not Windows Certified". I've read the many forums vocalising the disappointment given that this is the subject of a marketing pitch of Microsoft. This is a rip off.
Tcstevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2015, 03:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill22 View Post
It worked fine for me and I don't think there is any certification for wireless displays. You were probably looking at play devices instead.
Windows doesn't like to talk to WiDi devices unless the Windows machine knows the device it is connected to is certified. Yay DRM!
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 01/08/2015, 04:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have been having the same issues and after trawling lots of forums just like you, updating registrys and Widi updates, I have fixed my issue.

Just went into Devices and updated driver for my Graphics Card. Am now displaying to my LG TV! I hope this helps
Juliet Revill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by eblade and Preemptive like this.
Thanked By: eblade
Old 01/16/2015, 01:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

I am still having problems with Windows not certified message with my lg lb650v
Rui Farinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2015, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

I bought an LG 47LB679V and I think the TV is realy good. But I keep having issues, concerning the casting option using my Sony Vaio Tap 11 Win 8.1 computer/tablet. I can connect with the LG-TV, using it as a "play device" but not as a "projection device". Therefore I canīt use the "projection" option (I do can use the "play on other device" option). When I connect with the TV as a "play device" everything works fine. If I try to connect as a "projection device", I get the error saying "sorry, connection not established...blabla" on the upper right corner of the TV. On the Win 8.1 tablet I dont get any error - the tablet is showing non stop "establishing connection", even if the TV already showed the "connection failed" error. I tryed with miracast and also with WIDI. Non worked. What can I do now? Any hints? Please help!!!
Serek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2015, 10:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Did you checked for fw updates for your TV? mine 650V works better with the latest.

Sent from my Lumia 720 via Tapatalk
Macco26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2015, 02:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Regarding my miracast-problem using my Vaio Tap 11 Win 8.1 tablet:
I updated my TV firmware and I installed new drivers (Intel Wireless Update 17.13.1) for my tablet and I cant still connect to my TV as a "projectiopn device". But now I get an error displayed on my tablet also (it is not waiting forever). I do can connect to my TV using my Nokia Lumia 930 and the screen sharing ability. Everything works fine with my mobile device. It connects and the casting is working perfekt. But I am not able to establish a projection with my tablet. I am deperate - has anybody managed to project his display from a win 8.1 device to the webOS-TV?

Last edited by Serek2; 07/13/2015 at 07:43 AM.
Serek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/14/2015, 03:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcstevo View Post
I am very disappointed with Microsoft. I purchased a Dell WIDI laptop only to find that my brand new LG Smart TV is "not Windows Certified". I've read the many forums vocalising the disappointment given that this is the subject of a marketing pitch of Microsoft. This is a rip off.
No no Dont worry It works for sure with Windows 8. U just need to try 2-3 times until you get ur laptop recognize ur tv as a ti device And not as a play or sth else...this is the trick.
innadel is offline   Reply With Quote