webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > UK: The Telegraph LG WebOSTV hands on.
UK: The Telegraph LG WebOSTV hands on.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By akitayo

Old 05/07/2014, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

I took some quotes of the Telegraph hands-on review, right below, but you can read the full article here: LG webOS smart TV platform: hands on - Telegraph

On 13 May, LG will also launch its own dedicated app store in the UK, which organises all content available on the webOS platform into category tabs and offers recommendations based on popularity.

The thing that I really like about the webOS platform is that it feels like an operating system that was built for smart TVs from the ground up. LG has taken all the disparate elements of modern TV interaction and made them feel like an integrated whole.

The failure of webOS in the hands of both its previous owners Palm and HP was a result of below-par hardware that was unable to keep up with the competition. The success of webOS as a smart TV platform will therefore depend on LG's ability to create top-class televisions that are worthy of this top-class operating system.

LG webOS smart TV platform: hands on - Telegraph
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman, barryb20 and geekpeter like this.
Old 05/08/2014, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

The thing that I really like about the webOS platform is that it feels like an operating system that was built for smart TVs from the ground up. LG has taken all the disparate elements of modern TV interaction and made them feel like an integrated whole.

well said... This is exactly what webOS made us feel about our smartphone and tablet. Android still operates like a DOS menu to launch one of a list of disparate apps that can mostly only operate one at a time. Going back to a previous app still often makes it have to start over, which defeats the concept of using more that one app. Granted, its improved, but still far from the fluidity of webOS.

If only we'd had the hardware worthy of the OS...
Maybe there still hope for the future if LG gets TV right, and the world, and LG sees the potential in our mobile world.

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre

Last edited by hulickr; 05/08/2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo...
hulickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2014, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

generous review from The Telegraph, hope plenty more feel the same way and this all gets traction...... esp for the *fingers crossed* hope that webOS will spawn on devices more familiar to us lot here in the future.
Old 05/08/2014, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulickr View Post
well said... This is exactly what webOS made us feel about our smartphone and tablet. Android still operates like a DOS menu to launch one of a list of disparate apps that can mostly only operate one at a time. Going back to a previous app still often makes it have to start over, which defeats the concept of using more that one app. Granted, its improved, but still far from the fluidity of webOS.

If only we'd had the hardware worthy of the OS...
Maybe there still hope for the future if LG gets TV right, and the world, and LG sees the potential in our mobile world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
generous review from The Telegraph, hope plenty more feel the same way and this all gets traction...... esp for the *fingers crossed* hope that webOS will spawn on devices more familiar to us lot here in the future.
CES 2015 8 months to go
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by hulickr likes this.