webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG's WebOS Smart TV: Is 'simple' enough?
LG's WebOS Smart TV: Is 'simple' enough?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By eblade

Old 04/26/2014, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

CNET also made a hands on review of the LG webOS TV. Was between the tech sites invited by LGSVL to a conference about it with Digital Trends and others.

Full article:

Hands-on with LG's WebOS Smart TV: Is 'simple' enough?
LG's much-hyped Smart TV platform is hitting store shelves now, but does its simpler approach beat the myriad other smart devices vying for space in your living room?

Smart TVs have always had a big problem: smarter, more capable external devices.

Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and now Amazon Fire TV are directly competitive with TVs' built-in Smart platforms, and often provide a better experience: more apps, slicker interfaces, and more updates. Video game consoles are smarter than ever, incorporating the same apps and, in the the case of the Xbox One, essentially the same TV-centric functionality as an advanced Smart TV. And of course external cable or satellite boxes are necessary, in the US at least, to provide TVs with most television programming and all-important DVR time-shifting.

The latest new Smart TV platform, and the one creating the most positive buzz after LG acquired it last year and again at CES in January, is LG's WebOS. The name invokes one of the most beloved and dearly departed smartphone platforms, and it promises the same revolutionary simplicity that caused us to name the WebOS-powered Palm Pre one of the best products of its time, circa 2009.

But is its simplicity-focused design enough to best other Smart TV platforms, let alone face the challenges posed by external devices?

Smart TVs with WebOS have just started shipping, and LG invited myself and a few other journalists to its Silicon Valley lab, the primary hub of WebOS development -- it's a joint effort with the mothership in Korea - -for some hands-on time. I expect to get a review sample shortly to put the system through its paces more thoroughly in our own Manhattan lab, but in the meantime here are some early impressions.

Simple is good, and WebOS is simple....

See link for full article:
Hands-on with LG's WebOS Smart TV: Is 'simple' enough? - CNET

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/26/2014 at 10:33 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 04/26/2014, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

It sounds like a winner for people who get confused over switching to HDMI 1, 2 etc, which is the majority of people. If that step can be avoided and it looks like a tv with netflix etc as another channel, then will help people a lot. People are now familiar with cards because of their IOS, Android devices so that also would work well.

Unsure about the HBO Go thing-would you even need HBO Go on your tv if you subscribe to HBO channel service--wouldn't you get that content via the cable tv?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2014, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the article
It would also make things easier if LG allowed you to rename the inputs (ie: rename HDMI to "Roku", etc..).

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2014, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Thanks for the article
It would also make things easier if LG allowed you to rename the inputs (ie: rename HDMI to "Roku", etc..).
Wow can't believe they don't let you do that.. I've been doing that on my TV's for 10 years.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2014, 01:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Thanks for the article
Open the Input hub, then select All Inputs, and you should be able to change that stuff.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 04/27/2014, 02:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Open the Input hub, then select All Inputs, and you should be able to change that stuff.
Awesome! Thank you! This is why their on-tv help system is not the best. It's good for those who have no idea how to do basic things, but there is no mention of this like a regular owners manual would have. I couldn't find that basic function for the life of me and there is no documentation to turn to. Thanks Eric!

Old 04/27/2014, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Maybe TV owners should start an, 'Instruction Book' thread...?

I also wonder how long it will take for rooting instructions to appear on that thread... ;-)

...TV Preware...
Old 04/28/2014, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Maybe TV owners should start an, 'Instruction Book' thread...?

I also wonder how long it will take for rooting instructions to appear on that thread... ;-)

...TV Preware...
I have the full user manual in 9 languages in pdf but it is 39MB and it is allowed to upload only 20MB at this time
Old 04/28/2014, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Perhaps someone with twitteraccount should point LG or still known webOS Devs to this thread and ask LG to put the PDF manuals on their servers:

@LGDeveloper
or better:
@LGBeanBird (which is for now just posting marketing buzz instead of helping
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2014, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
I have the full user manual in 9 languages in pdf but it is 39MB and it is allowed to upload only 20MB at this time
Already posted here: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3417730

(I re-flattened the pdf to get it under the file size requirements.)

The problem is that it is still not a "full" user manual. Between this and the manual on the TV itself, there is a lot of information that is not explained or pointed out.

Old 04/28/2014, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Already posted here: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3417730

(I re-flattened the pdf to get it under the file size requirements.)

The problem is that it is still not a "full" user manual. Between this and the manual on the TV itself, there is a lot of information that is not explained or pointed out.
Send me an email to <<email removed per rules>> to send you the pdf user manual I have in 9 languages: 38.738KB (+-39MB). It is in:

English
Deutsch
Français
Italiano
Español
Português
Nederlands
Ελληνικά
Slovenščina

Maybe it has more info than the one in just English you already have.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/28/2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04/28/2014, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'll send you a PM with my email address

Old 04/28/2014, 06:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
I'll send you a PM with my email address
Thanks read it and already sent you the email to gmail