webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Interesting article: "How LG Took WebOS from Mobile Phones to TVs in Under a Year "
Interesting article: "How LG Took WebOS from Mobile Phones to TVs in Under a Year "
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By aerosatman
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By Preemptive

Old 04/22/2014, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

The very first sentence of the article rubbed me wrong, but after thinking about it I realized it was a pretty stripped down OS once LG got their hands on it due to code that had to be pulled from it due to licensing. LG had to redo some stuff and then build it up in a new direction. All in all, this is a pretty positive article for LG and webOS.

Article: How LG Took WebOS from Mobile Phones to TVs in Under a Year

What do you think?

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MAMISHO, geekpeter and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by geekpeter, RumoredNow
Old 04/22/2014, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

good read, liked it.
Old 04/22/2014, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I assume the first sentence refers to Open webOS - which lacked drivers, telephony etc. - therefore not much use without development (thanks webOS-Ports!)

Quote:
The core of the operating system is out there on Github, including the luna-service2 and core JSON library, which works together with OS/2 to be a fundamental part of everything that's WebOS,
What? This?

I thought OS/2 was dead! Maybe the zombie status is a good fit for webOS...

I like this bit:
Quote:
After the initial pain of switching, they're reaping the benefits of having a standard build environment used across all of LG's engineering teams.
I like to think there was one 'TV engineering team' and now all their teams will be using it - but I'm kidding myself of course! ;-)

Last edited by Preemptive; 04/22/2014 at 04:51 PM.
Preemptive is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 04/22/2014, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

While on the subject of TV, check this out: https://www.fan.tv/tv

Pebble shape
Universal Search
Touch Swiping
Cards

It all looks a little familiar.

Wireless charging....nope

Enjoy
aerosatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gizmo21 likes this.
Old 04/22/2014, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Pretty sure theres no OS/2 involved and someone misquoted (fruedian slip?)

I think he probably said "LS2" as in "... the core JSON library which together with LS2 (luna-service2) is a fundamental part of webOS"

As far as the rebuilding goes, even with whatever additional things on top of Open webOS LG might have access to, a huge amount of it is practically worthless to the TV system. You don't need all your PIM apps on your TV. Does having email, contacts, calendars, all that on your big screen even make sense? maybe for some people, but probably not for most.

What does make sense is building a whole system out of web technologies, and webOS is a fantastic glue of client javascript to server javascript, as well as implementation of native things where it makes sense, to create a system.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2014, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosatman View Post

Pebble shape
Universal Search
Touch Swiping
Cards

Enjoy
Yup... Time Warner's new system to compete with the Roku and others.

Old 04/22/2014, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Yup... Time Warner's new system to compete with the Roku and others.
For their sake I hope it runs better than their stupid cable boxes.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 04/22/2014, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I assume the first sentence refers to Open webOS - which lacked drivers, telephony etc. - therefore not much use without development (thanks webOS-Ports!)

What? This?

I thought OS/2 was dead! Maybe the zombie status is a good fit for webOS...

I like this bit:

I like to think there was one 'TV engineering team' and now all their teams will be using it - but I'm kidding myself of course! ;-)
So my box of install disks for OS/2 Warp are not going to get used again?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2014, 02:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Pretty sure theres no OS/2 involved and someone misquoted (fruedian slip?)

I think he probably said "LS2" as in "... the core JSON library which together with LS2 (luna-service2) is a fundamental part of webOS"

As far as the rebuilding goes, even with whatever additional things on top of Open webOS LG might have access to, a huge amount of it is practically worthless to the TV system. You don't need all your PIM apps on your TV. Does having email, contacts, calendars, all that on your big screen even make sense? maybe for some people, but probably not for most.

What does make sense is building a whole system out of web technologies, and webOS is a fantastic glue of client javascript to server javascript, as well as implementation of native things where it makes sense, to create a system.
eblade,

I do agree that some of the stuff that was available in the WebOS, PIMs, calender etc might not be useful, but think about it this way. IF the direction of LG is to find a 'glue' to unify their devices - TV, Refrigerator, Oven, and other house hold appliances including the PC / mobile device, then potentially one features that would be useful would be RT-PIM view by just 'close proximity of your mobile phone ' to your TV or your fridge.

E.g family PIM / Calender. One view of all the combined activities of parents,kids using the same OS. Multiple input PIMs, and one consolidated view on the TV?.

Or how about this one - I want to send my Kid a reminder "post it" - call it an E-post it. I send it from my mobile device from the office and it is pushed to my LCD on the fridge / TV and is available for my kid to read? Or even say I want to send a Happy B'day note to my wife - and record a song for her to open-which she can open from the TV / Fridge or her mobile at the right time i.e time locked. Possible through a shared environment.
There are possibilities Family app - but only possible with Webos Synergy - PIMS and the integration layer to allow for various apps to tap on.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2014, 02:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosatman View Post

Pebble shape
Universal Search
Touch Swiping
Cards

Enjoy
Nice interface and nice gesture control, LG should have put that on the magic remote.
Old 04/23/2014, 02:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

daexpression,

Sure, and that's all well and good, but it doesn't serve the primary mission, which you can't really take your eyes off of, when there's a relatively small number of you working your asses off to get all of that TV related stuff working. When you've had to spend all your time porting software from another system (as Steve said for the TV stuff), and at the same time completely rebuilding a large portion of your existing system to use the latest and greatest of the components it uses (Qt 5.x), as well as building the entirely new TV UI on top of all of those new things, there's just not enough time in the year to say "hey, i bet someone somewhere would like to have an email client", let alone actually put one together :-)

Also, as it is webOS, it still runs Enyo apps, Enyo 2.3 along with the TV UI modules is out there, there's absolutely nothing stopping someone from developing exactly that kind of a thing, and having it ready for release along with the LG app store. :-)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2014, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Now I'm just waiting for an article called "How LG took webOS back from TV's to Mobile in less than 6 months).

Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 04/23/2014, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
So my box of install disks for OS/2 Warp are not going to get used again?
Yeah, I am pretty sure it is NOT OS/2. After IBM stopped development on it, some business customers (and others) still wanted to use it, so at least a version of it was licensed to a company called Serenity Systems that marketed it under the name eComStation. As far as I know, it was never licensed to anyone else. Like with webOS, there were a lot of OS/2 fans who wanted IBM to release it as open source, but that was not possible due to too much proprietary content that would have required approval from others not likely to give it.

I seem to gravitate to cool, innovative (in its time), technology that for various reasons does not seem to survive.

OS/2, Saab cars, webOS.....sigh....
NCCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2014, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Now I'm just waiting for an article called "How LG took webOS back from TV's to Mobile in less than 6 months).
I'm writing one called, "How the webOS-Ports group released the greatest mobile operating system ever."

I hope they don't make me a liar, but the whole, "flux-capacitor integration" paragraph sets a pretty high bar! ;-)

@NCCaniac:

Still waiting for Haiku. Imagine running a Haiku powered webOS! It would be like recombining the DNA! ;-)
Old 04/23/2014, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Still waiting for Haiku. Imagine running a Haiku powered webOS! It would be like recombining the DNA! ;-)
because Haiku was inspired BeOS, and Palm owned BeOS (another OS wasted when acquired)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade
You don't need all your PIM apps on your TV. Does having email, contacts, calendars, all that on your big screen even make sense? maybe for some people, but probably not for most.
A calendar actually makes perfect* sense; especially when combined with a TV planner. Taking that concept even a step further: the user adds shows to the planner/calendar, and when the device notices a conflicting appointment it will automatically record the show. This recorded show clould then be accessed again from the calendar/planner. Similar concepts could be created for other PIM functions; especially with connected (mobile) devices...depending on how central a place you believe a TV has in a home (and that's a very valid point of discussion).

But...it is also true that this should not be the focus of LG right now (if at all). For now I at least have the feeling that LG has some sort of a plan for the future...and that is something webOS has been missing for a while now

* and where I say perfect I of course mean 'kinda, sorta, somewhat'.

Last edited by Misj'; 04/24/2014 at 05:20 AM.
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2014, 07:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Makes me want to buy a webos tv..
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2014, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
A calendar actually makes perfect* sense; especially when combined with a TV planner. Taking that concept even a step further: the user adds shows to the planner/calendar, and when the device notices a conflicting appointment it will automatically record the show. This recorded show clould then be accessed again from the calendar/planner. Similar concepts could be created for other PIM functions; especially with connected (mobile) devices...depending on how central a place you believe a TV has in a home (and that's a very valid point of discussion)......
I can see TV's doing something like that in the future. I can also see the benefit of being able to hit a button on the remote or menu and having your daily calendar or agenda displayed. It wouldn't shock me to see Google incorporate that faster than others simply because of who they are. But I would love to see LG take the webOS TV's in that direction.

Old 04/25/2014, 05:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

Man, this is killing me! I'm looking at a 60" LG plasma at Best Buy, but it has LG's old smart system. Costco has a 50" LED with webos for $799. Decisions, decisions...
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote