webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG going a soft launch so they can work out the bugs maybe?
LG going a soft launch so they can work out the bugs maybe?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By rnld
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman

Old 04/22/2014, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

There was all the coverage at CES, then all went quiet mostly. Then random findings that the tv is on amazon, then local stores such as best buy having the tv's. Not really any push from LG yet in the form of commercials, sunday newspaper ads, etc.

Do you think they are launching them quietly to iron out any bugs and get the app stores going full speed before they put a push behind advertising to the masses to avoid negativity?
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2014, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancell View Post
There was all the coverage at CES, then all went quiet mostly. Then random findings that the tv is on amazon, then local stores such as best buy having the tv's. Not really any push from LG yet in the form of commercials, sunday newspaper ads, etc.

Do you think they are launching them quietly to iron out any bugs and get the app stores going full speed before they put a push behind advertising to the masses to avoid negativity?
It's quite possible. I'm also surprised we're not seeing a big media blowout yet, but maybe LG is just waiting for...something. Your guess is as good as any!
Old 04/22/2014, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

In the coming months, someone will be doubling down ... ;-)

just kidding. I suspect that with the app catalog not yet being available, that the product isn't entirely representative of what it will be after a little more time has gone by, and also there is -plenty- of 2013 product still in the retail pipes, and the Connect SDK just came out, I imagine the main SDK will be probably following in the not too far future (in the coming months :-) ). I think LG is perfectly representing that they are in this for a long haul, and not trying to blast to everyone "THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER" when the current release app store simply says "LG App Store Coming Soon".
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2014, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are still a few things that need tweaking and readying before I imagine they will do a huge ad blitz. The TV is fantastic, but as Eric said - there is no app catalog released for it yet. Once that is finally introduced - it will definitely be a huge factor. Also, there is still a lot of integration that needs to be completed. For instance (as I mentioned in another thread), when you set up outside equipment it is still a rather narrow list of devices shown. Roku isn't listed yet along with Chromecast and others. LG is pushing for their devices to be 'full' systems for streaming services, but when you set up a streaming device like Roku on the current software release - you have to simply install it as 'other' instead of a specific device.

They also need to work on the little bit of lag that can show up when the device is first turned on. Allowing it do check and download information while the device is 'off' would relieve a lot of the lag it has when it's trying to update everything when it gets turned on. Little things like that. I'd also like to see them come up with a channel menu like one used for the Windows Media Player (nice and large with a full line-up list) Then one they have now is off to the side and can take a while to scroll through. Perhaps it looks different with a cable connection, but from what I see - it's the same.

I'm sure they are still lining up all of the dominoes before they push the first one over for the big show! <fingers crossed>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2014, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can definitely see why they'd want to work out the bugs.

I've only had the TV a few days (first smart TV) and it has froze on me a few times and the only fix was the turn the TV off and turn it back on. [odd first time my TV froze...]

I wish LG had implemented a bug crash report system.
Brennan Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2014, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan Rowe View Post

I've only had the TV a few days (first smart TV) and it has froze on me a few times and the only fix was the turn the TV off and turn it back on. [odd first time my TV froze...]

Ok..that's really weird. I haven't experience that at all, but I have noticed a bit of momentary lag once in a while (usually at startup when it's loading channel info). I certainly have never had it lock up! Ouch.

Old 04/27/2014, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

If it has anything in common with previous iterations of webOS, crash reports are sent periodically in the background.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 04/27/2014, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
If it has anything in common with previous iterations of webOS, crash reports are sent periodically in the background.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
I've seen ton of commits on Open webOS GitHub regarding logging mechanism, updates etc. So yeah I'm quite sure they receive the reports and will work on solutions :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 04/28/2014, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

ok great!

I was able to recreate the situation... it seems to happen when I'm using Screen Share w/ my Motorola Moto X. if the connection is lost, sometimes the screen will freeze and the only button that works is the power button.
but once I turn the Tv off and back on... its fine.

Other than that little oddness, it works perfectly.
Old 05/01/2014, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is any company doing a big media blitz on their smart TVs?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2014, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

If anyone wants to help out and show some support/excitement for the LG webOS Tv's.... I've started a thread over at Mobile Nations new site "Connectedly" about the release of the TV line up. There are a couple of posts kinda trashing webOS and out of being unfamiliar with it's history - saying it crashed and burned twice. LOL

So.... I'm just looking for people to IGNORE those posts and simply drop in that thread and let people know there are folks out there who are excited for this television line! Again (please no more posts defending webOS) just looking for folks to jump in there and show some excitement for this line.

Here's the link:
New LG webOS TV Impressions (hint: shweeet) - Connectedly Forum

Old 05/01/2014, 04:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm not good at ignoring trolls.. I'd rather keep my webOS posts here. :/

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2014, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

LOL.. he's not a troll just an uninformed member. I'd like to get a show of support for this no matter where it's posted.

Old 05/01/2014, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hopefully, I am not being labeled a troll. I joined this site in 2007 when I was switching from my Treo 600 to my Treo 755P. I've owned 2 WebOS phones.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 05/01/2014, 07:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

LOL... no... definitely not you.

Old 05/01/2014, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Is any company doing a big media blitz on their smart TVs?
Yeah, I have never seen an ad for a smart tv and they been around for a while. But it can't hurt for LG to be the first out the gate, like the hype phone
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2014, 09:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

As far as I'm aware, LG has never been HUGE into advertising, that's partially why they've been able to make higher(ish) quality products for a lower price than the competition (sony, samsung, etc)
Old 05/02/2014, 10:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

They must be doing something right because their newest earnings show a > 300% increase in revenue over same time last year.

Liked by Brennan Rowe likes this.
Old 05/02/2014, 12:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, LG has never been HUGE into advertising, that's partially why they've been able to make higher(ish) quality products for a lower price than the competition (sony, samsung, etc)
I pinged some random acquaintances around a while back, and other than people who owned LG cell phones, no one I could find actually could recall hearing of LG. It kind of amazed me, considering that they are a pretty huge company with a LOT of product lines.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote