webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG webOS TV: Got one!!
LG webOS TV: Got one!!
Like Tree183Likes

Old 05/06/2014, 03:54 PM   #141 (permalink)

Dangit! How did I miss the post saying the LG store was live?! Can you browse it from a PC?

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2014, 03:59 PM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Dangit! How did I miss the post saying the LG store was live?! Can you browse it from a PC?
If you create an account on the LG Smart World site you will (at some point) be able to see them. Doesn't look like the list is updated for the webOS apps right now as it is showing all the apps for the previous TV line.

I did see that they have the following Notice posted. This notice could mean they are getting ready to roll out a bunch of new stuff and have to get the 'legal' stuff out to pave the way.

Quote:
Subject PLEASE READ: AN IMPORTANT UPDATE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR TV
Author Administrator Created on 04/30/2014

LG works hard to ensure that the features and technology on your Smart TV are up-to-date.
An important update to the Terms & Conditions and options will soon become available for your TV.
Please see the FAQ at [www.lgappstv.com] for more information.
We encourage you to take the easy steps to update your TV when notified: Go to your Settings menu, select Support, then Software Update.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_3.png (22.8 KB, 127 views) Email Attachment

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 05/06/2014, 04:07 PM   #143 (permalink)

However, each of the apps listed on the lgappstv.com site do have a tab that shows if the app is compatible with your device. Because this is a whole new UI, I really really hope they simplify this and simply have only the apps that are compatible show up for you.

Old 05/07/2014, 04:15 AM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I can take a couple of pictures of the app catalog when I get home.
Do it please .
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2014, 05:51 AM   #145 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

LG webOS smart TV platform: hands on - Telegraph

Good review. Note the UK app catalogue date: 13th of May.
Old 05/07/2014, 10:47 AM   #146 (permalink)

OK. Finally I connected my TV using a VPN showing that I was in EEUU instead than in Mexico and my apps automatically changed and now I have more apps, including Amazon, than I used to have while using my Mexican connection without a VPN. Another advantage I saw was that I immediately received an update which enable the store. So now I am able to open the store and get new apps like Pandora, not Spotify or rdio available yet thought, hopefully more will come soon.

Unfortunately my Amazon app never gets load and it just stay on a gray screen, all the other apps works flawless.
eoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2014, 01:33 PM   #147 (permalink)

Great to hear eoga Weird that your connection had you in EEUU though. I would think your ISP would have that correct. Strange your Amazon app isn't loading correctly. I have encountered one(1) app in the store that did the exact same thing and couldn't get it to install correctly. If you do get it to install, let us know what you did. Perhaps we can come up with some info for others who my encounter this 'stuck install' issue in the future.

Old 05/07/2014, 02:51 PM   #148 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoga View Post
"...using a VPN showing that I was in EEUU instead than in Mexico..."
eoga did it delberately to get the app store! ;-)
Old 05/09/2014, 05:50 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I did get their SmartShare application to work between my computer and TV to allow the device to access any folder I specify for music, pictures, and videos. Took foorrreeeevvvvveeeeerrrr to download on the computer because of an incredibly slow connection on their end.
I was wondering what would be needed to watch videos from a PC. I like that my LG bluray player has the ability to just browse shared folders on the PC w/o having to have some other program to run. I was hoping that this would do the same. It's also too bad that it didn't have a VGA input to go along with the PC audio inputs. I would need to get a new PC or HDMI video card for an old PC to have it hooked up.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2014, 02:31 PM   #150 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Do you own a smart TV? | Connectedly

I wonder if we are all fans of webOS TVs (even those of us who don't have one) just in the hope that we will end up with webOS phones! ;-)
Old 05/10/2014, 03:58 PM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
I was wondering what would be needed to watch videos from a PC. I like that my LG bluray player has the ability to just browse shared folders on the PC w/o having to have some other program to run. I was hoping that this would do the same. It's also too bad that it didn't have a VGA input to go along with the PC audio inputs. I would need to get a new PC or HDMI video card for an old PC to have it hooked up.
you can get a vga > hdmi adaptor, i use 1 for 1 of my FPGA Amiga emulator boards to hook up to a Project GAEMS Portable gaming case which has a built in hdmi screen.
Old 05/10/2014, 06:47 PM   #152 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
If by 'this', you mean a webOS TV, then I would imagine you should be able to share video over your home network. The smart share application mentioned seems to do that.

On webOS (legacy) there is an app called 'Wifi file sharing' which I think is based on samba. Of course, a hardlink VGA to HDMI adaptor would work, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a software / network solution for this - and possibly built in to the TV.
Old 05/11/2014, 02:22 PM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
The very best way to watch stuff from your computer is to use a device like the Roku because it has free apps that can stream from your computer over the same network without having to actually go to the computer to start the stream.

Otherwise, without a separate streaming device you can still stream directly to your TV from your computer easily as long as they are on the same network. Just download and install the SmartShare app on your computer and have it scan for all of you Movie/Pictures/Music content (only have to do it once).

From there:
  • Start the app on your TV
  • On the PC - choose the file you want to share

• Right-Click on the file and choose "share to" and select your TV.
  • Video will start up on your TV right away.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_1.png (58.7 KB, 215 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png Screenshot_2.png (180.5 KB, 218 views) Email Attachment

Thanked By: Pilotovef
Old 05/11/2014, 10:28 PM   #154 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So I was right about the Castle Videos! ;-)

I wonder if Ms Katic will be interested in being the face of the new webOS when the port is released. She'll do it for love, not money, right?
Old 05/12/2014, 12:00 PM   #155 (permalink)

Anyone with Google Fiber TV buy one of these yet? Curious about integration with their PVR and TV box. I'm in a Google Fiber market and probably going to sign up, so would like to know if it plays nice with their service.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2014, 12:24 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
So I was right about the Castle Videos! ;-)

I wonder if Ms Katic will be interested in being the face of the new webOS when the port is released. She'll do it for love, not money, right?
Mmmm.... Stana Katic is my secret crush!!

Old 05/12/2014, 02:48 PM   #157 (permalink)

Received a tweet back from LG about the missing "Today" feature everyone is talking about in reviews. Looks like it is being released next month with a firmware upgrade on 6/30. Cool!

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_3.png (32.4 KB, 185 views) Email Attachment

Old 05/12/2014, 07:14 PM   #158 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Dave, I've balked at buying one of these now because the reviews are scaring me. webOS is amazing and I will eventually own one but among the biggest concerns are wifi connectivity issues (that sounds familiar), hazy screens, and "dirty" backlight effects on light colored or fast moving screens. Have you experienced any of that on yours? See the video for someone's initial review that showcases some of the shadowing of the backlight.

Last edited by Alan Morford; 05/12/2014 at 07:52 PM.
Alan Morford is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 05/13/2014, 07:13 PM   #159 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

AV forums behind the scenes at LG SVL

LG webOS Smart TV connected, fast, simple. A look behind the scenes. - YouTube
Old 05/15/2014, 12:18 PM   #160 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
Dave, I've balked at buying one of these now because the reviews are scaring me. webOS is amazing and I will eventually own one but among the biggest concerns are wifi connectivity issues (that sounds familiar), hazy screens, and "dirty" backlight effects on light colored or fast moving screens. Have you experienced any of that on yours? See the video for someone's initial review that showcases some of the shadowing of the backlight.

Click to view quoted video
Maybe I already wrote this, but I suspect the general public buy their TVs on qualities in the following order:
Screen size
Wow factor (Wow! 4K, Wow! 3D etc..)
Image quality
Sound quality

Anyone who takes the time and trouble to make comparative tests in a proper environment can see differences, but in a store, all screens may look equally bad under flourescent lighting and the ambient noise will make careful listening difficult.

As sound can always be plugged into a better system, the most important quality should be image, followed by sound, then wow factors (of which webOS is probably one).

For 3D & 4K, you really need to go bigger than 40", but ultimately the size you want and your budget will trade off to a range of models & the one to buy is the one with the best picture.

Uneven backlight has been a problem ever since CRT's ceased production. Evenness costs and while this may be acceptable in phones or tablets, a TV is only really intended to show video images.

I hope this is a fault or at the VERY least as poor as competing sets in the price range, but the video really doesn't look good. I'm hoping OLED will solve this issue, but it isn't cheap yet and I've heard at least one manufacturer is easing off OLED in favour of 4K, because although most won't see much difference (or get much content)... 4K! Wow!

For most people it's a choice between OLED HD or 4K. To have both is very expensive.

I was pleased webOS was on LG TVs because the displays I've seen have stood up well. Personally, I wouldn't touch an LCD TV, look carefully at LED and ideally would go for OLED, but of course the only test is in the viewing.

Tags
42lb6300, lg webos, webos tv