webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG webOS TV: Got one!!
LG webOS TV: Got one!!
Like Tree183Likes

Old 04/15/2014, 12:29 PM   #41 (permalink)

I'm quite pleased to see that LG has webOS on their entry-level smart tv's. I was quite expecting webOS to only be availble only on the $2000-and-up class. I may yet be adding a new webOS device to my home.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman, cujoq37 and FenrirWolf like this.
Old 04/15/2014, 12:42 PM   #42 (permalink)

Anyone know if it is available on a 32"? I don't have room for anything bigger in the bedroom.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2014, 01:05 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Anyone know if it is available on a 32"? I don't have room for anything bigger in the bedroom.

42" is currently the starting size for the webOS devices

Smart TV: Compare LG's Smart TVs | LG USA

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 04/15/2014, 01:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

gawd, i'd love to see that 70" one... in my house. :-D
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 04/15/2014, 01:34 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Just saw the 55" model at Best Buy in Michigan ... very cool :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
gawd, i'd love to see that 70" one... in my house. :-D
I am in Michigan which Best Buy, went to my local one and they did not have any yet...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2014, 04:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
I am in Michigan which Best Buy, went to my local one and they did not have any yet...
Westland, MI at Wayne Rd and Central City Parkway.

They also had a OLED, which looked beautiful, but it wasn't obvious if it was a new (webOS) model or not.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2014, 09:13 PM   #47 (permalink)

I didn't expect a webOS TV so soon. The real question is: does it have Novacom? (Better question: does it even have Nova in any form?)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Misj'
Old 04/16/2014, 07:09 AM   #48 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
But seriously, tried typing any special codes yet?
Yes, to shamelessly bump my own post,

webos20090606 ?

UpUpDownDownLeftRightLeftRightBAStart ?
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 04/16/2014, 07:28 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:

webos20090606 ?

Yeah wondering if anyone has tried those yet. The konami code is all lowercase too. upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 04/16/2014, 07:30 AM   #50 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

CamelCase for clarity - that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;-)

Geek Out And Get Fit With The Konami Code Workout | Lifehacker Australia

Maybe @LGBeanBird can help? ;-)

Last edited by Preemptive; 04/16/2014 at 08:00 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 04/16/2014, 08:27 AM   #51 (permalink)

stupid question. On the enyo site (Supported Platforms | Enyo JS) I noticed that it's refered to as LG webOS 4 (I think that's the first time I saw a version number for the smartTV)...I assume there's an equivalent to the Device Info app on the touchpad. Just out of curiosity, could you confirm this version-numbering?
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2014, 10:40 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:

webos20090606 ?

LOL Sorry, I missed that post! Actually, I hadn't even thought of trying that. Great idea! I'll try it when I get home tonight. At least I do know where the factory reset is in the menu in case I end up frakking it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
stupid question. On the enyo site (Supported Platforms | Enyo JS) I noticed that it's refered to as LG webOS 4 (I think that's the first time I saw a version number for the smartTV)...I assume there's an equivalent to the Device Info app on the touchpad. Just out of curiosity, could you confirm this version-numbering?
I'll check that out too

Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 04/16/2014, 02:02 PM   #53 (permalink)

FYI... Attached is the Owner's manual for the new TV's. It shows setup and the remote, but points you to the on-screen user guide for operation help. I really hope they release a PDF file of that built-in user guide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MFL68027902_01_edt.pdf (8.89 MB, 73 views) Email Attachment

Old 04/16/2014, 02:51 PM   #54 (permalink)

thanks for the thorough review of this inspiring new hardware. i hope these tvs are more popular than imaginable, but i'm not expecting much. there's a lot of tv's out there to choose from.

but it is exciting to read about it...and i'm definitely anxious to see if there's any old webOS secrets, like the codes, or any cross platform similarities.

i also am waiting to see some video of you controlling that tv with a webOS phone as your remote. is that a possibility?

heyyyyy, is there a wallpaper or screensaver function to it? can you upload the infamous blue streaks wallpaper? that would be hilarious!
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2014, 02:54 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
FYI... Attached is the Owner's manual for the new TV's. It shows setup and the remote, but points you to the on-screen user guide for operation help. I really hope they release a PDF file of that built-in user guide.
is there a way to access the onboard guide? like connecting to a computer to get to the help file? can you get internalz pro on that tv??????? lol
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2014, 03:16 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
thanks for the thorough review of this inspiring new hardware. i hope these tvs are more popular than imaginable, but i'm not expecting much. there's a lot of tv's out there to choose from.

but it is exciting to read about it...and i'm definitely anxious to see if there's any old webOS secrets, like the codes, or any cross platform similarities.

i also am waiting to see some video of you controlling that tv with a webOS phone as your remote. is that a possibility?

heyyyyy, is there a wallpaper or screensaver function to it? can you upload the infamous blue streaks wallpaper? that would be hilarious!
Click to view quoted image
Unless someone ports the Android app over to webOS, I won't be able to show you a Pre2/3 controlling it like I can with my One

There is no wallpaper because the running TV channel is the background (and no screensaver - it is a TV after all and the live channel IS the screensaver ). Each of the apps, when you scroll over one, has a color background, but I wouldn't even want to change that (it would really make it annoying more than anything since it is just a quick screen choice).

I've been wanting to sit down and get some video of how it runs what typical functions look like, but I haven't had a chance (and it's just like the demo vids posted from CES). But I do want to get a 'real world' demo video together just to show stuff and perhaps answer questions about how things look/work.

Old 04/16/2014, 04:46 PM   #57 (permalink)

Here's a really crappy video of the very first time I powered it up and ran through the setup options. Not much volume and I wasn't talking much because I was trying to read and follow along while shooting.

It's a crappy vid, but at least it gives a look into the initial setup.

Old 04/16/2014, 09:14 PM   #58 (permalink)

What about the remote? Is it comfortable, well laid out?

What if I wanted to use my favorite remote would that be possible? I had got comcast new X1 box and returned it because it used some kinda special signal which would not work with my far universal.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2014, 10:35 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
What about the remote? Is it comfortable, well laid out?

What if I wanted to use my favorite remote would that be possible? I had got comcast new X1 box and returned it because it used some kinda special signal which would not work with my far universal.
Yes, the remote is comfortable but with very few buttons. The center button is also a scroll wheel to scroll up and down channels or through menus. There is also a '123' key to bring up a numeric keypad on-screen if you want to enter a channel directly. I did find out the Magic Remote is RF, but the TV also has an IR receiver for use with cell phones and other remotes. The on-screen channel selector isn't going to be very useful if you have to use a cable box. Since the remote isn't programmable, it wouldn't work with a cable box either which means you would end up using a couple remotes. For me, since I cut the cord a while back, I end up with 2 remotes: The LG remote and one for my Roku. I could actually just use my cell phone for both since they both have Android Apps (I hate that Android feels like such a far lesser OS than webOS, but ended up being the standard).

So yes, you should be able to use a universal remote with the LG. The menu key and arrows should move you through the cards (it worked like that with a spare remote I have, but some keys on mine needed to be remapped if I kept using it).

Old 04/17/2014, 06:59 AM   #60 (permalink)

Nice score Dave, made me look around at some local stores here in Calgary. There's a 55" for $733. On sale until the 23rd. Also a good deal, but bad timing for me.
Attached Images
File Type: png lgtv.PNG (107.2 KB, 29 views) Email Attachment

Tags
42lb6300, lg webos, webos tv