webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Big Brother "Award" for LG SmartTV
Big Brother "Award" for LG SmartTV
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Misj'

Old 04/12/2014, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
LG recieves the german negative award for threatening personal digital privacy:
But to be fair, it's the old model, not a smartTV running webOS.
(of course someone should check whether the same does apply to these new devices)
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 04/12/2014, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I was a bit surprised about this as it's basically tracking viewing to target ads - like Google. And of course there have been bigger controversies. But I see it is a 'consumer' category, so I guess it's fair enough.

Even if the new TVs do this, I think it's not too difficult to block at the router.
Old 04/12/2014, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Didn't read up on what was said about why they chose LG, but a menu option to allow/disable tracking that sent these infos either way (!) and sending of file names found on usb devices attached to the tv should be a save bet. And as you said, it's in the consumer category that LG 'won'.

Last edited by DocJones; 04/12/2014 at 10:08 PM.
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2014, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

LG was choosen cause the switch to allow this data to be sent was on OFF and they sent it anyway.
Well lets hope this award helps that LG in the future respecting privacy where the user wants that.