webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > roll call: webOS TV owners
roll call: webOS TV owners
Like Tree11Likes

Old 04/28/2014, 11:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan Rowe View Post
The Smartshare works just fine on the TV (it comes with some stock images and small mp3s) and works great for viewing stuff off a flash drive for example.

But yeah the Smartshare app for Android will be cool so we can share stuff wireless through the phone to the TV easily. (since not all android devices have Wi-Fi Direct)

I got the SmartShare to work with my computer by downloading and installing their SmartShare software for the PC. You can choose and send a file like a movie to your TV from your computer and it will instantly start playing. But yes, the Android app for instantly sharing pictures and videos is what I was referring to. I've also got a Roku 3 player that allows me to plug a USB drive into and share, but still not the same. At least LG is letting people know that it's coming (insert 'in the coming months' joke here... LOL).

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2014, 12:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I got the SmartShare to work with my computer by downloading and installing their SmartShare software for the PC. You can choose and send a file like a movie to your TV from your computer and it will instantly start playing. But yes, the Android app for instantly sharing pictures and videos is what I was referring to. I've also got a Roku 3 player that allows me to plug a USB drive into and share, but still not the same. At least LG is letting people know that it's coming (insert 'in the coming months' joke here... LOL).
The SmartShare PC server is either a modified or simply a rebranded Plex. Plex also works in legacy webOS using the nice Plex app from the HP store. :-)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 04/29/2014, 01:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
The SmartShare PC server is either a modified or simply a rebranded Plex. Plex also works in legacy webOS using the nice Plex app from the HP store. :-)
I've got Plex installed and have used it for years (I really wish LG would get an xbmc app running instead as there is so much more you can do with it). The thing I've found with Plex is that I tend to get a bit of buffering for some reason and don't get that if I use PlayOn instead. **Oh, BTW... if any of you aren't using PlayOn - get it. It adds a TON of extras to your TV - but... you have to have a streamer like a Roku box to take advantage (but those are cheap now).

Because the Plex app seems to be a bit less smooth than streaming through my Roku, I've just been using that. I'll have to check my Plex settings to make sure those aren't causing issue too.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2014, 01:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I've got Plex installed and have used it for years (I really wish LG would get an xbmc app running instead as there is so much more you can do with it). The thing I've found with Plex is that I tend to get a bit of buffering for some reason and don't get that if I use PlayOn instead. **Oh, BTW... if any of you aren't using PlayOn - get it. It adds a TON of extras to your TV - but... you have to have a streamer like a Roku box to take advantage (but those are cheap now).

Because the Plex app seems to be a bit less smooth than streaming through my Roku, I've just been using that. I'll have to check my Plex settings to make sure those aren't causing issue too.
Maybe Plex is re-encoding the stream?. I've never used it, so I'm just thinking of possibilities. So PlayOn is an alternative media server then as I understand things.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2014, 01:40 AM   #25 (permalink)

I have used smartshare to see a 3d movie from my Go Flex Home NAS and everything was great, DTS sound to my home-theater, and no buffering at all, I have it wired and not wireless though, The only proble i found was that i couldnt ru the subtitles dont know if it is something related to my NAS ot not. But so far the TV has been great.

Hope they will bring a lot of applications as right now the store seems to be under construction which make me a little nervous.
eoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2014, 05:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Youtube has changed the web app, I see a pair to tv option under settings. Can someone with a webos tv or any kind of connected device and a webos phone test it to see if it works. Thanks.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2014, 04:18 AM   #27 (permalink)

Anyone has a working LG Store? Here in Russia it's not accessible.
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote