webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Canada:LG webOS focus on 4K; webOS HDTVs. Video.
Canada:LG webOS focus on 4K; webOS HDTVs. Video.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade

Old 03/22/2014, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

Now is the time for Canada.

LG have introduced webOS TVs at this time in USA at CES2014, KOREA, ASIA , Russia, for all EUROPE in Italy at LG INNOFEST 2014, Turkey and now in Canada.

Full article:

LG Canada's Dealer Show reveals focus on 4K, webOS HDTVs and wearables.

LG Canada showcased its recent products, many of which haven't been seen outside of CES 2014. The focus this year was more affordable 4K HDTV's, the newly-acquired webOS SmartTV operating system, IPS panels of LED HDTVs and various lifestyle and wearable products.

Credit LG for creatively reinventing the way we watch TV. One of their OLED models was designed to be wall-mounted and even resembles a picture with a frame. The frame cleverly conceals a powerful speaker and the display itself doubles as a great slideshow presentation screen.

The crown jewel of LG's 2014 TV lineup was their 77" OLED 4K HDTV that was also curved. Simply one of the most stunning HDTVs we've seen and even skeptics of the whole curved display movement will acquiesce that curving does make sense for a model of this size.

The most exciting demonstration for me personally was the webOS SmartTV and LG has done a remarkable job of saving what was once the most promising alternative mobile OS and turning it into the most intuitive SmartTV operating system available.

Smooth, uncluttered and focused on the end user's webOS discards the tired tablet-like icon barrage approach we've seen from SmartTVs and instead offers a more intuitive and fluid experience.

Mobile devices including the new LG G Flex, the LG G2 as well their new LifeBand Touch health wearable and accompanying headphones that measure heart rate. We also saw some of the new soundbars and soundplates that offer space saving surround sound for HDTVs.

All-in-all, LG Canada seems to have covered all the hot areas of consumer technology for 2014 and is bringing true innovation into the marketplace with new experiences, improved product lines and possibly game changing technologies.

Here's a video showing what webOS can do as a SmartTV interface. webOS was Palm's mobile operating system that ran its Pre handsets and after HP purchased and eventually shelved Palm and webOS, the remnants got sold to LG. With less than a year in development, webOS on LG's SmartTV looks and feels like a responsive and very user-focused interface. It is so much better than some of the kludgy, cluttered and hard to navigate and control SmartTV implementations we've seen in past years. This video demo, taken today in LG's headquarters in Toronto, shows the future of webOS and I have to say I'm pretty impressed at what it can do.

LG Canada's Dealer Show reveals focus on 4K, webOS HDTVs and¬*wearables - Canadian Reviewer - News, Reviews and Opinion with a Canadian Perspective

Last edited by akitayo; 03/23/2014 at 12:13 AM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by alonhzn, somline
Old 03/23/2014, 05:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I still don't understand why they had to pay so much money for webOS. I mean, I love webOS but this interface and multitasking could have been just as easily based on a free android system.
alonhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2014, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
I still don't understand why they had to pay so much money for webOS. I mean, I love webOS but this interface and multitasking could have been just as easily based on a free android system.
webOS was originally designed for a truly web internet mobile services from the scratch, worlds first.

Maybe Android with KitKat 4.4.2 will be near webOS as it was at the beginning .I have not recieved an upgrade until now on my Samsung Tab 3 7.0 WiFi USA version yet, which runs on Android 4.1.2 and have to pay billions to play and look as webOS works on those LG TVs and not mentioning any comparison with the Pres and Touchpad that go beyond the TVs.

Why LG pay HP for webOS? That is business, you have to pay for a premium webOS system and I don`t think it was that much at that time when webOS was already Open Source.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2014, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
webOS was originally designed for a truly web internet mobile services from the scratch, worlds first.

Maybe Android with KitKat 4.4.2 will be near webOS as it was at the beginning .I have not recieved an upgrade until now on my Samsung Tab 3 7.0 WiFi USA version yet, which runs on Android 4.1.2 and have to pay billions to play and look as webOS works on those LG TVs and not mentioning any comparison with the Pres and Touchpad that go beyond the TVs.

Why LG pay HP for webOS? That is business, you have to pay for a premium webOS system and I don`t think it was that much at that time when webOS was already Open Source.
So you're saying that LG bought webOS because the superiority of it over Android was enough to justify buying a dead OS over a live one? spending not only the purchase cost but also the continued development that is now entirety on LG's shoulders (unlike Android that gets support and maintenance from Google).
Pardon my conspiracy theory but I think there is something more to it.
alonhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2014, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Question is will I be using the tv interface or that of my cable box. I think the cable box unless I want something that can't get from the cable box like netflix or hulu
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2014, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Eventually cable boxes will go away and everything will be streamed through the Internet.
ajmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2014, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Really nice demo video from the canadian reviewer showing that one can pause netflix, go into another app, and then go straight back to the program in netflix without having to click through the netflix menu again.

But I did not see Amazon video on the menu. Is this a deja vu where webos tv is debuting without amazon video?

Video: First look at LG's webOS powered¬*SmartTV - Canadian Reviewer - News, Reviews and Opinion with a Canadian Perspective

edit: I saw amazon app in Dieter's verge video from jan, phew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo6QgRMwu4Y

Last edited by bluenote; 03/23/2014 at 05:35 PM.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2014, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Perhaps Amazon video is not available for that location, or it wasn't installed, or simply wasn't demonstrated? Maybe user didn't have an Amazon account
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2014, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
... Android isn't nearly as good at running web apps as webOS is. :-) I don't think there's ever been any public comment about how much the trade between HP and LG was worth.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by akitayo likes this.
Old 03/23/2014, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Seems like that they tested the html5 rating of the browser and it shows as 484 which is pretty good as I get 505 with chrome 33 of max 555 on a desktop and it's on top.
Not sure but whatever is recorded on the html5test.com under tvs shows 389.
Maybe this is old result and if they improved that much that is really good
HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
Of course this is much different than java script performance which is more important for speed of the apps.
Old 03/23/2014, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I would suspect that 389 is a pretty old test result.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!