webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG plans to cut premium TV prices.
LG plans to cut premium TV prices.

Old 03/11/2014, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

LG read the post we refer to an article before here posted: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ffordable.html

Why? because LG is now cutting TV prices according to the Korea Times. Please check out the prices below and let us know what do you think of them? Thanks.

LG plans to cut premium TV prices

LG Electronics, the world’s second-biggest TV producer, vowed Tuesday to cut prices of premium TVs, including those with ultra high-definition (UHD) technologies.

“OLED TVs and UHD TVs are ready to go into the mainstream. LG will clearly lead initiatives by guaranteeing a greater affordability to customers,” Ha Hyun-hwoi, president and CEO of its home entertainment division, told reporters.

Commenting on worries that its aggressive pricing policy concerning these TVS may hurt the firm’s profitability, Ha said, “LG is ready to embrace a fall in profitability. If those TVs become more popular, we will be able to generate more profits.”

LG has unveiled 16 new UHD TV models ― its sizes include 105, 79, 65, 55 and 49 inches. It also unveiled 77-, and 65-inch TVs with curved displays.

In a press release, LG said the 49-inch curved UHD TV will sell for about 2 million won (US$1.870.-) The curved 55-inch UHD TV will be sold at a suggested retail price of 3 million won. (US$2.805.-)

Ha said the defect rate of LG’s OLED TVs has dropped to a “manageable level.”

The firm plans to boost sales in the United States and Europe by cutting the prices of OLED TVs.

Major TV manufacturers, which are hungry to find new cash-cows amid the stalling demand for flat screen TVs hit by the rise of smartphones and tablets, believe OLED TVs and UHD TVs will provide a turnaround.

The market leader Samsung and LG are putting more resources toward UHD TVs because they are cheaper than OLED TVs and have more vivid picture images.

DisplaySearch, a market research firm, said Samsung was the top TV seller with 26.8 percent of global share last year, followed by LG with 15.3 percent.

“Despite steady gains in market shares, total TV shipments have fallen for the second consecutive year. This provides both challenges and opportunities for LG and Samsung,” said an LG official.

Although LG is seeing intense competition with Chinese rivals, Ha said there is still a wide technology gap between LG products and those manufactured by Chinese budget TV makers.

“When you see UHD TVs made by Chinese firms, it’s hard to say these models are ‘real’ UHD TVs,’’ said Ha.

As for security concerns for connected TVs, the CEO said LG TVs are “totally safe” from hacking and a leakage of personal information.

“This is a really important issue. So far, there have been no reports that LG connected TVs were hacked or the information of their users was stolen,” Ha said.

LG plans to cut premium TV prices

The Press Release above refered for the prices is here: https://translate.google.com.ec/tran...lgtv_140311%2F

Last edited by akitayo; 03/11/2014 at 11:19 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2014, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I hope it is less than $850
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2014, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
I hope it is less than $850
For a 40 inch maybe
Old 03/13/2014, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

850 sounds like a decent ballpark for a good 1080, maybe smart, maybe 3D, but probably not both, in the 40" area. But I'm not too familiar with TV prices, sooo... take that with a grain of salt. The cheap as hell 1080's about 42" or so are about $400 around here, I think.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2014, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
The market leader Samsung and LG are putting more resources toward UHD TVs because they are cheaper than OLED TVs and have more vivid picture images.
What? UHD is the resolution. OLED is a display technology. It's like saying HD is cheaper than LCD.

Quote:
As for security concerns for connected TVs, the CEO said LG TVs are “totally safe” from hacking and a leakage of personal information.
That sounds like a challenge to me - and I'm not even a hacker...

Quote:
"This is a really important issue. So far, there have been no reports that LG connected TVs were hacked or the information of their users was stolen,” Ha said.
This has already been shown to be potentially untrue. The only question was if LG were using the data (they denied it). But it was being sent without the user being informed.
Old 03/14/2014, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
What? UHD is the resolution. OLED is a display technology. It's like saying HD is cheaper than LCD.

That sounds like a challenge to me - and I'm not even a hacker...

This has already been shown to be potentially untrue. The only question was if LG were using the data (they denied it). But it was being sent without the user being informed.
The originaly information was taken from the Korea Times writer , as it was done LG plans to cut premium TV prices

However LG themselves make that difference as the Korea Times writer does ,here on this Press Release:
LG Newsroom

and also posted on forums before
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ter-month.html
Old 03/14/2014, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
The originaly information was taken from the Korea Times writer , as it was done LG plans to cut premium TV prices

However LG themselves make that difference as the Korea Times writer does ,here on this Press Release:
LG Newsroom

and also posted on forums before
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ter-month.html
You're right that LG make a distinction. I had a quick look at their current models and it seems OLED sets are HD and the UHD (4K) ones are LED. I'm not clear why this is, but it may be the OLED is the more expensive technology and using it at UHD scale would make the sets unaffordable to many. Or it may be a technological reason to do with scale like pixel density. However, the Korean Times states cost as an issue, so I'm going with cost.

So it seems that an LED UHD set is cheaper than an OLED UHD set. I wonder if there is an impact on potential image quality. I think colour richness & contrast was the selling point for OLED...

OLED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03/14/2014, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
You're right that LG make a distinction. I had a quick look at their current models and it seems OLED sets are HD and the UHD (4K) ones are LED. I'm not clear why this is, but it may be the OLED is the more expensive technology and using it at UHD scale would make the sets unaffordable to many. Or it may be a technological reason to do with scale like pixel density. However, the Korean Times states cost as an issue, so I'm going with cost.

So it seems that an LED UHD set is cheaper than an OLED UHD set. I wonder if there is an impact on potential image quality. I think colour richness & contrast was the selling point for OLED...

OLED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to how technology on TVs goes forward the manufacturers are making distinctions with different names IMHO as I am not an expert on this matter, but using my logic I might say that the internal components with the materials displays are made to come out together with the images for TVs .

In other words conforming LG or Samsung or who ever TVs maker discover new ways for a better resolution output images they make a new term/name for it.

On this CNet post the writer explains good those distincions mentioned:
What is 4K UHD? Next-generation resolution explained | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

Of that information pls find herewith attached a PDF file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4KUHD.pdf (724.3 KB, 1 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by akitayo; 03/14/2014 at 11:24 AM.