webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > I only have one wish
I only have one wish
Like Tree13Likes
  • 10 Post By GMMan
  • 3 Post By eblade

Old 01/17/2014, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

I wish that the system is kept as open as it was for all previous webOS devices. Full access to the file system, non-obfuscated Javascript, no barriers for the homebrew community to do whatever they want, including putting a new OS on there. For me, webOS has been and should continue to be the most open and developer friendly platform. I don't want a system that's locked down just because there are apps that require DRM (e.g. Netflix). I think webOS can be made a developer favourite for TV platforms as long as the platform is totally open. Especially if you consider a number of platforms don't have an SDK or make you go through hoops you wouldn't usually have to go through on webOS (quick look at LG's SDK indicates you have to have them DRM wrap your app first).

Edit: The openness of webOS also makes it feel that I actually own the device, because I'm free to determine what it does or doesn't do. Too many devices feel like black boxes these days due to their non-open nature.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 01/17/2014 at 05:15 PM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker, Alan Morford, xandros9 and 7 others like this.
Old 01/17/2014, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rnp

Amem, Brô!

We are together and mixed in this idea!

Best Regards...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 01/20/2014, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Amen

Sent from my iPhone :-( which I'm using since I lost my android for the past day :-(
using Tapatalk
railbear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2014, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The developer system for the current Smart TV platform is a bit of a mess. Pay attention to what happens at Apps World, though, and I think you'll see some things to like.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Alan Morford and ArchonAdvisors like this.
Old 01/23/2014, 02:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

As a developer I assume you have to buy a new tv to get the WebOS tv experience. I also assume as a developer you'd wish it was available on a chromecast like stick at a similar price so WebOS could penetrate more homes in the market. I for example loved my palm pre but wouldn't buy a new tv just for WebOS when I have a great 50 inch led tv already on my wall.

The much slower home tv refresh cycle seems like a detriment to developers and a discouragement from investing resources in app development especially since now they're are more platforms to choose from than ever. I recently fired back up my google tv Logitech revue unit and saw not many apps available still years later and the one app I tried (Flipboard) crashed my unit every single time I tried to use it.
kjparfekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2014, 04:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, there are about 200 million TVs sold each year, and there are about 400 million smartphones sold each year. OK, so, theoretically, your maximum potential market is twice as large on a cell phone.

Oh, hey, with web apps, it's not too difficult to make cross platform apps that do the same thing in many different form factors. So it's totally possible that someone could write an app that works on phones, tablets, and TVs ... and any other platform that we can think of. SO, you can have a potential market of the entire subset of those 600 million devices (i didn't even look up tablets) that are capable of running Enyo... which is probably all of them that are reasonably smart. :-)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2014, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Well, there are about 200 million TVs sold each year, and there are about 400 million smartphones sold each year. OK, so, theoretically, your maximum potential market is twice as large on a cell phone.

Oh, hey, with web apps, it's not too difficult to make cross platform apps that do the same thing in many different form factors. So it's totally possible that someone could write an app that works on phones, tablets, and TVs ... and any other platform that we can think of. SO, you can have a potential market of the entire subset of those 600 million devices (i didn't even look up tablets) that are capable of running Enyo... which is probably all of them that are reasonably smart. :-)
Interesting figures, but we should bear in mind that of the 200 million TVs sold, not all will be smart & not all will have webOS. Enyo does not support support other Smart TV platforms - unless ChromeCast & the Chrome browser are basically the same thing (no idea).
Supported Platforms | Enyo JS

Another factor to consider is that phones tend to be replaced at a faster rate than TV's and when it comes to smart TVs, there is a question about whether manufacturers will offer OS updates or expect people to entirely replace perfectly good screens every couple of years. It seems reasonable to assume that 4K will remain the standard for a while. A miss-judgement here could mean that set top boxes or media PCs are the future - but there's no reason webOS can't be on those.

On the other hand, Enyo does support desktop browsers, which also means laptops and tablets (which will be likely to run a desktop or mobile phone browser). This means the potential app market place is even broader and one advantage that Enyo might have in this multi-platform world is of course, it's cross-platform ability.

But something often mentioned is 'second screen'. For me this could be a distraction when I want to concentrate on a show, but there are ways that it could be used. Specifically, I think if Enyo apps can crack the ability to seamlessly transfer content to different screens, this will be big. You download a movie to a device, then send it to the TV, pause a game on a handheld device then use it as a controller to resume play on the bigscreen, even send some content to other screens in your house or share with friends. This kind of continous client, or even sharing client could work quite well, but would need a lot of backend engineering. But perhaps webOS already has that kind of thing.

That level of usefulness and connectivity could be the big webOS/Enyo selling point that might lead to a certain ubiquity that will ultimately....

...bring back webOS phones! Yay!

Oh, I think my alarm clock is ringing! Time to wake up!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0