webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Congratulations to LG's SVL
Congratulations to LG's SVL
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By joeytino
  • 1 Post By ewl88

Old 01/14/2014, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

You did it.

Looks great and very well received in the press.

Congratulations to the Silicon Valley Labs on all their hard work and a great CES 2014 unveiling.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Part of me wants to think that the cynical tech press afraid of anything not Android or Apple feels guilty for crushing webOS in the first place. Everything I read about old reviews of webOS products has the same elements. 1. Feels great in the hand 2. looks sharp 3. slightly laggy 4. NO APPS IT'S TERRIBLE Now looking back they might be thinking, why was it so bad? We were comparing first gen hardware and software to 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th gen hardware and polished software. In an attempt to give it a chance they have taken a shining to the new birth of webOS in TVs not only because of the guilt but because it genuinely appears to be a great implementation (and coincidentally isn't challenging the fanboys' love of their current device).
Old 01/14/2014, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice!

So, I discovered LG used to make a combination microwave/toaster oven. I'm still hoping on that webOS toaster...
ashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

He he.
My first(bad and hope it'll be the last) encounter for me with LG was ****ty cassette tape maybe 20+ years or so ago when they were still called Gold Star. It was a 90 min tape and it might as well be a knock off but since then they made a lot of progress.
Old 01/15/2014, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
Part of me wants to think that the cynical tech press afraid of anything not Android or Apple feels guilty for crushing webOS in the first place. Everything I read about old reviews of webOS products has the same elements. 1. Feels great in the hand 2. looks sharp 3. slightly laggy 4. NO APPS IT'S TERRIBLE Now looking back they might be thinking, why was it so bad? We were comparing first gen hardware and software to 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th gen hardware and polished software. In an attempt to give it a chance they have taken a shining to the new birth of webOS in TVs not only because of the guilt but because it genuinely appears to be a great implementation (and coincidentally isn't challenging the fanboys' love of their current device).

Unfortunately, webos did not have the ability to play catch up and win. When it needed top of the line hardware, none was to be had. The software being run on the second rate hardware was... Not as high quality. Everywhere Palm turned, they got screwed, and they had deadlines to hit, without the money available to either get a truly world class product or to push the deadlines. Maybe, just maybe, if traditional webos had managed to get 3.x into where Open was when Open started, and the pre3 were released as a budget smart phone, and the go had made it to production.. Then we'd be in a webos world with hpalm firmly number 3... But wish into one hand, and **** into the other, and see which hand fills up first.

Sadly in this world there will always be deadlines, and funding shortfalls, and hardware misses.. But hopefully the impact of those will all be less in the future, and without a perfect storm of all of them hitting at the worst possible moments to combine for a handful of ****

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/15/2014, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
He he.
My first(bad and hope it'll be the last) encounter for me with LG was ****ty cassette tape maybe 20+ years or so ago when they were still called Gold Star. It was a 90 min tape and it might as well be a knock off but since then they made a lot of progress.
LG = Lucky Goldstar
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2014, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

seriously, p o o p is censored? sorry to try to get around the filter, it just boggles my mind. :-)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 01/15/2014, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Unfortunately, webos did not have the ability to play catch up and win. When it needed top of the line hardware, none was to be had. The software being run on the second rate hardware was... Not as high quality. Everywhere Palm turned, they got screwed, and they had deadlines to hit, without the money available to either get a truly world class product or to push the deadlines. Maybe, just maybe, if traditional webos had managed to get 3.x into where Open was when Open started, and the pre3 were released as a budget smart phone, and the go had made it to production.. Then we'd be in a webos world with hpalm firmly number 3... But wish into one hand, and **** into the other, and see which hand fills up first.

Sadly in this world there will always be deadlines, and funding shortfalls, and hardware misses.. But hopefully the impact of those will all be less in the future, and without a perfect storm of all of them hitting at the worst possible moments to combine for a handful of ****

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I still wonder in my idealistic way, had HP simply cut the price of the TP but not outright cancel the entire WebOS program, they might have been able to ride the traction of getting WebOS in peoples hands and possibly ride that long enough to get most of the glaring issues cleaned up and maybe even up to version 4.0. Even though they still would have taken the financial hit on the hardware - which they did anyway during the firesale with absolutely no upside, in my alternate reality, they would have at least spread WebOS around and it might have been able to become the alternate to IOS and Android with the next gen hardware we had a peek of in the Verge article a few weeks back. That intergrated keyboard model looked pretty sweet.

OK, I am awake now.
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2014, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
I think tech bloggers are realizing that their (skewed) reviews have had an unintentional effect of reducing the number of viable mobile OS competitors. The size of app store was the main reason to praise or damn a device. Blackberry is almost gone, webos gone (for now). WIndows hanging on by MS buying off Nokia (!). Tech consumer purchases aren't often rational. The general population is vaguely aware of popular or "cool" brands and make their choices from a narrow band of choices. Only the patient consumer researcher or techie who likes something about a particular OS will consider niche devices.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/15/2014, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
I think tech bloggers are realizing that their (skewed) reviews have had an unintentional effect of reducing the number of viable mobile OS competitors. The size of app store was the main reason to praise or damn a device. Blackberry is almost gone, webos gone (for now). WIndows hanging on by MS buying off Nokia (!). Tech consumer purchases aren't often rational. The general population is vaguely aware of popular or "cool" brands and make their choices from a narrow band of choices. Only the patient consumer researcher or techie who likes something about a particular OS will consider niche devices.
Frequently heard when I was doing sales for a TV shopping network, not that long ago, when selling off-branded tablets:

"Is that an Apple iPad or an Android iPad?"
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 01/16/2014, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
LG = Lucky Goldstar
Not until 2009 officially anyway.
Old 01/16/2014, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
LG = Lucky Goldstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
Not until 2009 officially anyway.
They'll always be Lucky Goldstar to me! Let's hope they really ARE Lucky! ;-)
Old 01/16/2014, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
They'll always be Lucky Goldstar to me! Let's hope they really ARE Lucky! ;-)
Yes. And that will show HP how to do it right!
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote