webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Do you think webOS TVs will succeed?
Do you think webOS TVs will succeed?
View Poll Results: Do you think webOS TVs will succeed?
Yes, TVs with webOS will be a HIT! 16 34.78%
Yes, the cool interface will help sales. 22 47.83%
webOS won't make any difference to sales. 7 15.22%
No, people won't 'get' the interface and when it flops, other manufacturers will copy the good ideas 1 2.17%
It will be a disaster and LG will soon drop it. 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 2 Post By imurrx
  • 1 Post By hulickr
  • 1 Post By laoh
  • 1 Post By beca

Old 01/14/2014, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

We have seen the videos and the product line up. There is no pricing yet.

If this project is successful, we can hope it will deliver some code that will be useful to the port project.

If it is a big hit, webOS may appear on other products - perhaps, eventually, an LG phone.

We've been here before: CES, a nice demo, good reviews of the product. Perhaps it's not such a big splash this time.

We can at least be confident that the hardware will be as good as anything else out there. LG have done TVs well for a while, but it's a tough market.

It's time to take your first impressions and guess how well the new incarnation of webOS will do.

Comment, vote or do both!

Last edited by Preemptive; 01/14/2014 at 12:57 AM.
Preemptive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

I doubt people will and buying tv's based on webos. To most folks its just gonna be buying the biggest tv for the price. I don't know what success would mean, lg will be selling a lot ot tv regardless
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I doubt people will and buying tv's based on webos. To most folks its just gonna be buying the biggest tv for the price. I don't know what success would mean, lg will be selling a lot ot tv regardless
That's a good point. LG may not be 'too big to fail', but they are pretty big and will sell a lot of TVs. I think the OS makes a good demo and if fun to use, can only help, but ultimately, it's hardware features and price that will probably be the first considerations. webOS may swing it when comparing sets that are similar on the first two criteria.

Then there's the question of webOS as a platform...

This video is sceptical (but also complimentary - as always seems to be the case with webOS!)
Third Time's the Charm for WebOS? | CES 2014 - YouTube
Old 01/14/2014, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

The problem with webOS for Palm was marketing and position (Carriers), the problem with webOS with HP was lack of CEO push (Mark Hurd left) and over pricing their hardware, If LG over comes both of those issues it will work, for their first video of webOS (only seen in these forums, not seen on TV yet), seems their marketing is better, but the price for a 105IN $70,000, is out of my league and until the price comes down I fear they are over pricing the product...

It is a TV, a gateway to content, a big monitor with connections to media nothing more, it will not clean my house, it will not clean my dishes, it will not clean my clothes, it is just a device I stare at to be entertained... Price it right and it will work, over price it and it will fail...

The Supply/Demand/Price triangle is the formula Supply enough TV's with webOS that are at the right Price and there will be Demand. Overprice the webOS TV and the Demand will fall and the Supply will fall. They said 70% of their TV's will have webOS in 2014, that sounds like a good Supply, now will they be at the right Price for the Demand?
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 01/14/2014, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

webos tv's will succeed because people vote for webos. plain and simple.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

If they tie in cross connectivity in various devices it will work.

Lets say you have that fancy TV, the washer and drier, the stove, and refergator and have them connected to your home network. Now lets say the drier and washer stopped and it sends the TV a message saying they are done. Lets say you see a new recipient on TV and you mark it for tomorrows grocery list and it queues the fridge. Then on the fridge sends the list to your phone when you go to the market. Now, you're at your kids soccer game and you forgot to turn off the oven or your going to burn the pot roast, so you turn off the oven from home.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 and NoApple like this.
Thanked by fxspec06, RumoredNow
Old 01/14/2014, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I think the clean interface, integration of devices connected to the TV and a build out of the "whole home" strategy will propel LG webOS TV to a major place in the market.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

People have tablets, laptops, netbooks, etc already. Are they going to embrace their TVs going back to the 90s with a Web TV type interface? Time will tell.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Irrelevant. It will be LG TVs that succeed or fail - not webos.

Won't make any difference to where it counts: Smartphones & Tablets.
Old 01/14/2014, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
there's the question of webOS as a platform...

This video is sceptical (but also complimentary - as always seems to be the case with webOS!)
Third Time's the Charm for WebOS? | CES 2014 - YouTube
With name like "Bleaker", I guess we shouldn't expect a positive outlook

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
hulickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't see the play as trying to build a webOS exclusive ecosystem. I see it using webOS to enable the best UI, with the best multi-device web-based nteroperability. WebOS can provide the unique user experience, and that can be expanded to other appliances as part of a "whole home" interoperability for LG. But I don't get the impression that LG is looking to force the market to adopt webOS in order to become the Android or iOS of the TV market. There is always the opportunity for that if it is received on such a mass scale, but more likely, it is a tool that LG can use to create a winning UI and bring simple usability to their devices, while providing the Enyo framework for developers to enhance functionality, add content etc, and also to make webOS more platform agnostic and open to interoperability from all popular platforms.
I forget what they call it, but they are also embracing an open standard for device controls through messaging as well, so I think they are not so much trying to make the TV OS the required ecosystem, as much as using the OS to reduce the dependence on an OS as the basis of the ecosystem, and instead focus on the usability and interoperability of the devices they market.

If I'm wrong then Bleaker's predictions are likely. But if I'm right, then I think webOS can show its strength as a "web" OS, as an enabler, and through its superior UI capabilities. LG has a strong, good quality presence in the consumer market, and if they market their functionality well, then people will see the value of the product and the webOS name as part of that.

Time will tell if that will truly happen and if that canl elevate webOS to something other than a "long dead" system, or a proprietary TV interface I hope it does, and I'd love to see its acceptance bring webOS brilliance to the consumer market, including our beloved smartphones and tablets and more. We know it rules, but the mass market won't adopt it on its name, unless there is a value proposition in the product as a whole. Apple was successfull, because they were the first, and because the product was (mostly) excellent. WebOS was not because while the OS was revolutionary, the devices (and therefore the overall "product") were not. (and many other management reasons too of course)

I pray that LG sees the value of webOS in this perspective and uses it to build value to consumers, leverage its strengths, and build a reputation that webOS deserves.

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre

Last edited by hulickr; 01/14/2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo
hulickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/14/2014, 08:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulickr View Post
I don't see the play as trying to build a webOS exclusive ecosystem. I see it using webOS to enable the best UI, with the best multi-device web-based nteroperability. WebOS can provide the unique user experience, and that can be expanded to other appliances as part of a "whole home" interoperability for LG. But I don't get the impression that LG is looking to force the market to adopt webOS in order to become the Android or iOS of the TV market. There is always the opportunity for that if it is received on such a mass scale, but more likely, it is a tool that LG can use to create a winning UI and bring simple usability to their devices, while providing the Enyo framework for developers to enhance functionality, add content etc, and also to make webOS more platform agnostic and open to interoperability from all popular platforms.
I forget what they call it, but they are also embracing an open standard for device controls through messaging as well, so I think they are not so much trying to make the TV OS the required ecosystem, as much as using the OS to reduce the dependence on an OS as the basis of the ecosystem, and instead focus on the usability and interoperability of the devices they market.

If I'm wrong then Bleaker's predictions are likely. But if I'm right, then I think webOS can show its strength as a "web" OS, as an enabler, and through its superior UI capabilities. LG has a strong, good quality presence in the consumer market, and if they market their functionality well, then people will see the value of the product and the webOS name as part of that.

Time will tell if that will truly happen and if that canl elevate webOS to something other than a "long dead" system, or a proprietary TV interface I hope it does, and I'd love to see its acceptance bring webOS brilliance to the consumer market, including our beloved smartphones and tablets and more. We know it rules, but the mass market won't adopt it on its name, unless there is a value proposition in the product as a whole. Apple was successfull, because they were the first, and because the product was (mostly) excellent. WebOS was not because while the OS was revolutionary, the devices (and therefore the overall "product") were not. (and many other management reasons too of course)

I pray that LG sees the value of webOS in this perspective and uses it to build value to consumers, leverage its strengths, and build a reputation that webOS deserves.
If LG webos tvs are priced right and operate as a tv should then they will sell well. LG is #2 in tvs right now. Webos interface and apps adds value and differentiates LG's tvs. Lg has said themselves they want to differentiate themselves from cheaper chinese makers and a resurgent sony and panasonic. (well sony seems more awake at least). Most people won't buy other boxes roku or xbox or playstation and extend tv's abilities so LG builds a very simple elegant interface and its own app store. You don't need a big app selection for tvs right now. Really, just the big names amazon, netflix, and a few internet radio like pandora. Maybe a few casual games like angry birds or news app. So they don't have to try to generate hundreds of apps to compete with other ecosystems.
Next thing webos can do is work with other smart devices that LG will make. Seems like standards are being built now that allow smart devices to work together and that will be the next market LG goes after.
Google just bought nest which only has 2 products right now! (for 3x what hp paid for Palm!) So home connected smart devices is the next battleground.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

I don't think we'll be seeing ppl flock to buy an LG tv because of webOS. They are in a market for a TV and the LG tv they ended up buying had webOS and they kinda like it after using it. End of story.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 01/15/2014, 01:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
I don't think we'll be seeing ppl flock to buy an LG tv because of webOS. They are in a market for a TV and the LG tv they ended up buying had webOS and they kinda like it after using it. End of story.
Agreed. Plp will get whatever tv they like regardless of the software included. But I think its a clever idea to put the OS in a tv as plp already know now that they can use a remote or there phone to control it and will probably be on the lookout for things they can use with the tv. Which leads me to which there is a phone coming for just this purpose the OS is sadly irrelevant its the experience! that matter.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 01/15/2014, 06:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
I think LG is hoping that the tv purchaser LOVES it and tells their friends. Really LG is going after the 50% of people who never utilize the smart part of their smart tv. Those are the people who might say, why don't I get the cheaper vizio tv or no-name chinese HD set for 300 dollars cheaper. Plus they have to protect themselves against being a dumb screen for a roku or apple tv or chromecast. Chromecast is a cheap alternative to make a dumb tv smarter but it is still too complicated for many non-tech people.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2014, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Smart TVs Are Failing The Challenge | Decipher 'Off Air'

I find it hard to disagree with the main points of this blog post. The obvious answers seem to be:
* Integrate the PVR into the TV (card slot or HD?) or build your shiny new OS into a PVR to either grab that sector or 'transition' your customers to buying your all-in-one as their next TV.
* Standardise or at least simplify the on-demand availability slots.
* Enyo might well be the solution to a standardised app platform.