webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > What WebOS TV features could make their way to OpenWebOS and WebOS hardware?
What WebOS TV features could make their way to OpenWebOS and WebOS hardware?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Herrie

Old 01/12/2014, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

I've been following the WebOS story very closely and I have to say that LG has made a superior product. Kudos to them for making WebOS a hit in the TV space. I saw a lot of great features on the TV, and I was wondering what features you'd like to see go from LG's television into the OpenWebOS project.

The big thing I'd like to see is maybe the bottom bar from the TV implemented as a fast app switching system (as opposed to Luna CE's versions which is definitely functional but maybe not as pretty as I'd like.

What would you like to see?

Sheik
Sheikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I suppose that's an idea, but with active apps, flicking across cards is pretty fast and a card strip takes up screen estate. If such a thing were to be introduced (and I'm not sure it's necessary), then integrating it into the wave launcher is surely the way to go. There were plans to add to the capability of the wave and this could be an option. The arrow for the launcher could work as normal or advance to a strip of running apps.

As the interface was redesigned for TVs, I also think that any changes to the existing mobile interface should be carefully considered or implemented as tweaks or options.

What would be more interesting is if any of the underlying functionality has been updated - such as synergy connectors - that could bring lost or new services back to the phones and tablets.

Obviously, it is to be hoped that many of the apps will be transferrable. I gather that even TV apps in enyo won't necessarily translate - perhaps due to the differences in screen size and interface (pointer vs finger), but hopefully it will be possible to in some way 'reskin' the new apps.

Does anyone know if the source code is released yet? I know the SDK is due quite soon.
Old 01/14/2014, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I suppose that's an idea, but with active apps, flicking across cards is pretty fast and a card strip takes up screen estate. If such a thing were to be introduced (and I'm not sure it's necessary), then integrating it into the wave launcher is surely the way to go. There were plans to add to the capability of the wave and this could be an option. The arrow for the launcher could work as normal or advance to a strip of running apps.

As the interface was redesigned for TVs, I also think that any changes to the existing mobile interface should be carefully considered or implemented as tweaks or options.

What would be more interesting is if any of the underlying functionality has been updated - such as synergy connectors - that could bring lost or new services back to the phones and tablets.

Obviously, it is to be hoped that many of the apps will be transferrable. I gather that even TV apps in enyo won't necessarily translate - perhaps due to the differences in screen size and interface (pointer vs finger), but hopefully it will be possible to in some way 'reskin' the new apps.

Does anyone know if the source code is released yet? I know the SDK is due quite soon.
No source code yet, but Open webOS Github is updated regularly with different bits, nothing for the new UI though. I suspect LG might put out more to GitHub once they release SDK (media bits for example or maybe a new browser?). Enyo apps should be scalable, UI wise fixing for touch should be easy for people with Enyo skills :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 01/14/2014, 02:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
No source code yet, but Open webOS Github is updated regularly with different bits, nothing for the new UI though. I suspect LG might put out more to GitHub once they release SDK (media bits for example or maybe a new browser?). Enyo apps should be scalable, UI wise fixing for touch should be easy for people with Enyo skills :-)
That sounds good - better than I was expecting. Can we be sure that the new bits from LG will be OSS? I'm wondering if it would be better for LG to close & control it or encourage adoption by other manufacturers through openess. Personally of course, I'm hoping for open...
Old 01/14/2014, 04:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well they have an obligation due to the nature of certain parts to make it open source, otherwise they would be in violation of the licenses of the parts they're using at least that's what I understand of it. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more about the licenses can elaborate of what LG's required to do.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 01/14/2014 at 05:17 AM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote