webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG webOS TV commercial
LG webOS TV commercial
Like Tree25Likes

Old 01/09/2014, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

LG webOS TV commercial

The first commercial

LG Electronics (LG) today unveiled its newest Smart TV platform at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. webOS, which was purchased from Hewlett-Packard in March last year, has been reinvented and reintroduced as LG's new Smart TV platform. The new operating system offers an intuitive user interface for an experience that is both seamless and refreshingly uncomplicated, based on years of experience collected by the webOS team. Furthermore, the new platform makes it extremely easy for developers to create applications and enhances the compatibility of LG's Smart TVs with other devices.

LG webOS - Make TV simple again.

Last edited by akitayo; 01/09/2014 at 08:02 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, guilledil, wideeyed85 and 5 others like this.
Thanked by boovish, maqk, Rnp, theoutback
Old 01/09/2014, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm still a little foggy about the release date. Does anyone know when its available for sale
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
I'm still a little foggy about the release date. Does anyone know when its available for sale
There is not an exactly availablity date but it is scheduled early in this first quarter 2014. This is we have until now from a before news release:

LG Electronics Smart TV line-up will be released in 2014 more than 70% of the 'Web OS' is going to mount. "Web OS is equipped with Smart TV 'in Korea market earlier this year, starting with the United States, Europe and other global markets where it plans to release sequentially.

Last edited by akitayo; 01/10/2014 at 05:58 AM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by boovish likes this.
Thanked By: boovish
Old 01/10/2014, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

This ad was quite good.. provided us with real statistics of 'smart Tvs', told us the audience what LG's vision was for their TV and how they would achieve it with a demo of the WebOS TV....

If I was a non smart TV person - I'd say hey..thats what I've been trying to do... and it looks easy. I might consider WebOS LG TV!!!...
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 03:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It's way better than the Pre ads. And the TouchPad ads. :-)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by carldc, FenrirWolf and geekpeter like this.
Old 01/10/2014, 04:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

actually quite enjoyed that advert, and tbh, im also quite amazed at how much LG/webOS team has managed to create in such a short time, even if its only what we can see on the surface.
Old 01/10/2014, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

When I buy a TV i buy it based on its performance as a TV !!! Not for web surfing, emails, videos etc.
If for example they have no Plasma version I wouldn't buy it just cause it was webOS. They have to promote it, but they better back it up with good hardware too.

Never had an LG tv and I will look into it when I change my Panasonic Plasma, but till then I am not switching just for the OS. As for webOS they better invest more to it and bring out a Phone too as well as a tablet. TV's on their own won't push webOS forward.

My 2 cents....
Vas
VasTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
When I buy a TV i buy it based on its performance as a TV !!! Not for web surfing, emails, videos etc.
As for webOS they better invest more to it and bring out a Phone too as well as a tablet.
Ah, I remember the good old days when people bought phones based on their performance as a phone, not for web surfing, apps, or as a media player. And then people started to buy a not so good phone with bad reception and terrible battery-life...but a (somewhat) nice UI, a decent web browser, and an optimization towards multimedia. And that has dominated the market for a while now.

It appears that LG has a strategy. It might not be your strategy, and it might not focus its first rounds on mobile and touch. But give them a chance. Maybe a webOS TV is not for you. Maybe it's just a stepping-stone towards something different...for example a 10-inch mobile smartTV with apps, that you can hold on your lap and that you can navigate with your fingers, of a mini mobile smartTV that you can carry with you in your pocket and can use to keep in contact with people you know through the internet or with voice/video or something. We simply don't know.

But one thing I do know: they have a plan, so let them work on that first, and expand on it later. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.
Misj' is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus, hulickr, TJs11thPre and 2 others like this.
Thanked by DataJog, RumoredNow
Old 01/10/2014, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
If for example they have no Plasma version I wouldn't buy it just cause it was webOS. They have to promote it, but they better back it up with good hardware too.

Never had an LG tv and I will look into it when I change my Panasonic Plasma, but till then I am not switching just for the OS. As for webOS they better invest more to it and bring out a Phone too as well as a tablet. TV's on their own won't push webOS forward.

My 2 cents....
Vas
I, too, recently bought a Panasonic plasma (P60ST60) for the picture quality and I am not too interested in the smart TV apps it has as my Oppo player already has that sort of thing too. But....I know LOTS of people who are not as discerning as you and I are. They walk into their local BestBuy, wholesale club, etc., and buy a TV with the features they want at what they think is a good price...and lots of them like the idea of a smart TV for Netflix streaming, etc. LG is in hot competition with Samsung, Sony and Sharp so if they can show they have an easier to use smart TV, that may be the edge they need. I won't be buying one, but I hope they sell lots of them so that the ecosystem for webOS can increase and they can consider perhaps going to a webOS phone down the road.
NCCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Interesting how BeanBird looks like he could be a cousin of Linux's Tux the penguin. :-)
NCCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 01:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Interesting how BeanBird looks like he could be a cousin of Linux's Tux the penguin. :-)
My first reaction when I saw it...and it can fly in outer space
Old 01/10/2014, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

LG should add an "App Store" to their Smart TV's. Consumers could download apps. Why not? It would certainly be novel and would help sell TV's! Some great WebOS app authors could edit their software for the new format / rules and finally have a potential customer base of millions!
3snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Old 01/10/2014, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

I asked this in another thread and got an guessing type answer so I guess I will see if I can get a definitive answer. I am in the market to get a new tv before the superbowl in a couple of weeks. If I buy a current LG smart tv, will there be a possibility of updating/upgrading it to webos down the road?
yancem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Did you notice that they didn't keep the webOS virtual keyboard. HP TouchPad virtual keyboard has a better design.

What do you think about facebook app layout ? For me, it looks a bit outdated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sans titre_15.jpg (307.5 KB, 25 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg Sans titre_10.jpg (264.7 KB, 22 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg Sans titre_11.jpg (379.8 KB, 20 views) Email Attachment

Starter - Newspaper Creator - Lithium Benchmark - Lithium Messenger - Multiple App launcher - webOSnation News - Color My Dreams - Lightning Impact - Vision
boucles0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 04:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Don't know if this will fly or not, but it's good to see webOS back in the news!

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MAMISHO and geekpeter like this.
Old 01/10/2014, 05:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
pretty sure ive seen that forum before under a different name, and as long as its not officially LG i dont see why anyone from LG would go there first if anywhere at all tbh, their incarnation of webOS is totally different with regards to its user interface even if its heart/brains are the same.
Ooops! My bad.
Looks like you're right. That forum is not official. I should've have realised that when all the eBay ads turned up.
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 06:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
Ooops! My bad.
Looks like you're right. That forum is not official. I should've have realised that when all the eBay ads turned up.
i just cant for the life of me remember what name it had previously.
Old 01/10/2014, 06:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3snakes View Post
LG should add an "App Store" to their Smart TV's. Consumers could download apps. Why not? It would certainly be novel and would help sell TV's! Some great WebOS app authors could edit their software for the new format / rules and finally have a potential customer base of millions!
there is an LG Store, its shown in some of the vids.
Old 01/10/2014, 06:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

They should have made a remote with gestures. Pointing the remote at a specific spot on the tv is a fail.
twint7787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Greg Mair
Old 01/10/2014, 09:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

The best part of the commercial is they didn't hide the fact it was WebOS. In fact, they emphasize it.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.