webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG webOS TV commercial
LG webOS TV commercial
  Reply
Like Tree25Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01/10/2014, 09:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by twint7787 View Post
They should have made a remote with gestures. Pointing the remote at a specific spot on the tv is a fail.
I have an LG HDTV with a Magic Remote, and it works quite well for this UI. Have you ever tried their remote?

And I'm pretty sure that the interface also has voice and gesture control. Do some reading before trashing.
eTreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by steven_farkas likes this.
Thanked By: steven_farkas
Old 01/10/2014, 09:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
I have an LG HDTV with a Magic Remote, and it works quite well for this UI. Have you ever tried their remote?

And I'm pretty sure that the interface also has voice and gesture control. Do some reading before trashing.
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3411239
eTreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: maqk
Old 01/10/2014, 10:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
Did you notice that they didn't keep the webOS virtual keyboard. HP TouchPad virtual keyboard has a better design.

What do you think about facebook app layout ? For me, it looks a bit outdated.
I agree that the keyboard doesnt look paricularily stylish, however its not a touch keyboard so spaces between keys would likely make it difficult to use via remote. As for Facebook, its a 10 foot interface, so simple and clear is paramount over a busy native web page style. Not that it can't be improved perhaps though.

I find text input for a TV / settop box / DVD / DVR etc, very clumsy an probably the weakest link in the smart TV UI. But also, others have claimed that the LG magic remote works pretty well in reality. It appers to be a trackball, which i like, as i use a thumbwheel trackball for all my work machines. On my home PC I've started using the logitech wireless "touchpad". Its gestures work well with my casual use on win8 which uses my TV for its only display, and hey, we love gestures right?

But I insist on using my HP TouchPad's bluetooth keyboard to type anything in my TV, as well as my win8 pc I like it because it's compact and lightweight, and can sit on my couch or coffee table without getting in the way, and I can use it quickly when I need to type without fiddling with the weakest link in the TV interface. (Plus, I never learned to type using a phone dialpad because I've always had a Palm with a real keyboard :-)

Never tried Swype yet, but I wonder if that might work better when using a remote pointer?
Then again maybe speech is even better than anything, if it's reliable. Less hw to fumble with on the couch.

More hands on experience from people will be interesting to see in the near future to see if this is a satisfactory interface or not. I'm assuming it will be compatible with a wireless keyboard, and perhaps LG should be including a wireless keyboard with such a smart TV, if they are serious about making its smart features easy and familiar.
__________________
Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre

Last edited by hulickr; 01/10/2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added valuable commentary :-)
hulickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 03:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
steven_farkas's Avatar
 
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
I have an LG HDTV with a Magic Remote, and it works quite well for this UI. Have you ever tried their remote?

And I'm pretty sure that the interface also has voice and gesture control. Do some reading before trashing.
I'm the same - I think the magic remote is really cool and very intuitive to use (after some practice). Couldn't help thinking it would transfer nicely to webos based TV's

I would love to think that my current LG Smart TV would be able to be upgraded to webos when its available, but I seriously doubt it.
__________________
Touchpad 4G, Pre3
steven_farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 09:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
News Contributor
 
akitayo's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
I'm the same - I think the magic remote is really cool and very intuitive to use (after some practice). Couldn't help thinking it would transfer nicely to webos based TV's

I would love to think that my current LG Smart TV would be able to be upgraded to webos when its available, but I seriously doubt it.
I was thinking the same but I doubt it as well. IMHO the TV business is different of smartphones and tablets.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 10:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
smooth3006's Avatar
 
Posts: 862
i guess the tv looks cool but i don't ever see another tablet or smartphone with webos coming.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 10:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
News Contributor
 
akitayo's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
i guess the tv looks cool but i don't ever see another tablet or smartphone with webos coming.
Samuel Chang, Corporate VP, Division Head of LG Silicon Valley Lab [webOS] and Smart TV Innovation at LGE , said to Nutech LG plans besides TVs, other devices such as smartphones and tablets to be equipped with webOS platform.

"We want webOS to like to bring other products, says Chang. All devices that connect to the internet are one possible option"

According to LG , HP not success with webOS was because the hardware not because of the software.

LG wil WebOS ook op tablets en telefoons zetten | nu.nl/tech | Het laatste nieuws het eerst op nu.nl

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...cmpt%3Aprimary
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2014, 04:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
VasTheGreek's Avatar
 
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
But give them a chance. Maybe a webOS TV is not for you. Maybe it's just a stepping-stone towards something different..
Oh I am welcoming their try and also "saving" webOS !!! Don't get me wrong. I am still using my Pre3 and Pre- and my Touchpad. I am right behind them....

What I meant to say is that for the average Joe going to the shop their tv will be "just another smart TV". I mean most people change their phones every 1-2yrs when their contract is out. I would think that most people change their TV every 5-7yrs? Maybe I'm wrong?

So what I was saying, is cool that is has webOS but how does it perform as a TV? LG has the reputation of a cheaper quality products in Europe at least. Sony you pay for the name and Panasonic are the happy medium. Ok you have plenty more to chose from, but I think that webOS on its own is not good enough to sell the TVs. Ok you may say webOS pushed Pre- and Pre+ but how many TVs are being sold out there and how many phones?

I hope they take the gamble with more devices with webOS on them. Bluray players, phones, tablets....
I would happily buy a new webOS phone but I wouldn't change my TV just as yet...
Vas
VasTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Old 01/13/2014, 09:58 AM   #29 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,536
Vas,

Last I knew, LG was known for having some of the best LCD display panels in all of existence. Maybe I'm wrong about that, that's just what I've heard. And comparisons inside stores tend to be all sorts of screwed up because stores are not the same kinds of places as houses, the lighting is all whacked, and the displays are never setup properly, and so on and so forth.

The market is moving to LCD, OLED, etc. Plasma and Internal Projector type are dying and/or dead.
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/13/2014, 10:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Grabber5.0's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,201
While I mourn the passing of plasma, I will say, mine cranks out a ton of heat. During summer it makes a difference because my living room is on the west end of the house, and the tv adds extra heat to an already less cool room. An LED backlit LCD would have been a better choice in that regard. The plasma will look good in my basement workshop I guess.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
__________________
Matt Williams
Grabber Software
*How to install .patch files on your device*

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 03:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
VasTheGreek's Avatar
 
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Vas,

Last I knew, LG was known for having some of the best LCD display panels in all of existence. Maybe I'm wrong about that, that's just what I've heard. And comparisons inside stores tend to be all sorts of screwed up because stores are not the same kinds of places as houses, the lighting is all whacked, and the displays are never setup properly, and so on and so forth.

The market is moving to LCD, OLED, etc. Plasma and Internal Projector type are dying and/or dead.
Indeed hard to make comparisons inside stores cause TVs are not even fine tuned. I always reset on default settings and then tweak to my liking and with the same movie playing. Also at home your lights are in different places, you may have a fireplace etc etc. For example I read a lot of comments on Plasma screens and the reflection you get due to the glass surface. However even with my fireplace on I never had any issues.

The reason Plasma is "dieing" is cause of the weight/size limitations, energy consumption, the possibility of burning in (LED doesn't). However coming to refresh rates, true blackness, viewing angle etc Plasma is still the winner. I had a budget and I compared all possible choices of LCD/LED/Plasma and the Plasma visually was so much more pleasing. I couldn't care less if it was or wasn't a "smart tv". If I had to chose again I would pick Plasma again, unless I could not find the size (inches) and quality I needed.

I haven't owned any LG tv's so I cannot tell but I was discussing it with colleagues and all looked at me with a disapproving look. I think if LG bring a few good quality models and they support webOS fully then it will succeed but they need to push other devices too. For example my Panasonic sucks in the software. Doesn't support sub/srt with all video formats and doesn't have iTV player only iBBC player (online on demand UK channel players). When you bring out a smart TV you need to bring our apps and continue developing the software.

By the way....I hope I do not sound argumentative. I am just expressing my thoughts and experiences

Vas
VasTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2014, 05:19 AM   #32 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
Indeed hard to make comparisons inside stores cause TVs are not even fine tuned. I always reset on default settings and then tweak to my liking and with the same movie playing. Also at home your lights are in different places, you may have a fireplace etc etc. For example I read a lot of comments on Plasma screens and the reflection you get due to the glass surface. However even with my fireplace on I never had any issues.

The reason Plasma is "dieing" is cause of the weight/size limitations, energy consumption, the possibility of burning in (LED doesn't). However coming to refresh rates, true blackness, viewing angle etc Plasma is still the winner. I had a budget and I compared all possible choices of LCD/LED/Plasma and the Plasma visually was so much more pleasing. I couldn't care less if it was or wasn't a "smart tv". If I had to chose again I would pick Plasma again, unless I could not find the size (inches) and quality I needed.

I haven't owned any LG tv's so I cannot tell but I was discussing it with colleagues and all looked at me with a disapproving look. I think if LG bring a few good quality models and they support webOS fully then it will succeed but they need to push other devices too. For example my Panasonic sucks in the software. Doesn't support sub/srt with all video formats and doesn't have iTV player only iBBC player (online on demand UK channel players). When you bring out a smart TV you need to bring our apps and continue developing the software.

By the way....I hope I do not sound argumentative. I am just expressing my thoughts and experiences

Vas
Fully agree on the plasma bit wrt image quality, viewing angle etc, hence I have a (42") Panasonic plasma... Looking to update to 65" sometime soon before they won't be available anymore or a LG TV (quality wise cannot compare with Panasonic), but all depends on price. If it's reasonable and they have a plasma with webOS I might go for it

Panasonic SmartTV sucks big time. I think I used it once or twice in 3,5 years time....
__________________
HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/14/2014, 05:23 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 117
Can't wait to play with one at BestBuy!
ajmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre - in new HP webOS commercial... ursula Palm Pre and Pre Plus 5 02/13/2011 08:55 PM
New HP commercial with WebOS e-gadget-guy webOS Discussion Lounge 1 02/13/2011 08:16 PM
Commercial Ideas for the NEW LOOK WEBOS (2.0) wellwellwell11 General News & Discussion 5 10/18/2010 10:44 AM
new fan made webos commercial is the best so far!!! bryanjfaber webOS Discussion Lounge 15 03/29/2010 07:20 PM
Bell Commercial Revealing WebOS 1.2?? Daniel0418 Palm Pre and Pre Plus 33 09/15/2009 10:26 PM


 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0