webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Video Demo: LG webOS TV Speech/Finger Gestures.
Video Demo: LG webOS TV Speech/Finger Gestures.
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By deCorvett
  • 1 Post By akitayo

Old 01/08/2014, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

Video Demo: LG webOS TV Speech/Finger Gestures.

As posted before: Confirmed LG Smart TV with webOS for voice/gesture recognition. the LG webOS TV also works for Speech and Finger Gestures Recognition. For that the TV needs a camera. So LG will have models with and without the camera.

Without a camera will work only with the remote and with camera with both ways. But you can buy the camera separately.

The source for this part of the full video commented:

The gestures are slick, too. You just raise a finger in the air (a polite one, please) and it immediately brings up an interface for adjusting the channel or volume simply by waving your finger. You can also bring your finger up to your lips to instantly mute. It was surprisingly responsive, though we have yet to see how it handles a room full of furniture and people. Some of the higher-end TVs will come with built-in cameras for this. Others will require you to purchase the small camera separately, and while WebOS will be on some of LG's Blu-ray players, the voice and gestures will be limited to the TVs.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/lgs-webos-tv-hand...ion-1496703332

Note: Authorization for posting this video from my channel was requested to and granted by the webosnation moderator.

Last edited by akitayo; 01/08/2014 at 08:26 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969, maqk and geekpeter like this.
Thanked by Buddy1969, maqk, Onanii
Old 01/09/2014, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

impressive. i was just hypothesizing about this in another thread. but i was thinking something would need to be worn on the finger, to identify which finger the tv should be tracking.

3 people on a couch sneeze and who gets blamed for changing the channel? lol
TJs11thPre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah.. that's exactly how I don't want to control my TV... or any other device. Also I don't want to talk to them. I don't even want them to talk to me... The only useful application of voice and/or gesture control would be that they recognize me cursing them and stop doing whatever damn "smart" automatic task they were just trying to do (but messing up completely).

I guess that's just me... I don't know.

I guess if it creates buzz, it's good, isn't it? Although maybe not in Germany (where I come from), because it means the camera is always on, watching you. Most people here don't really like that. Like there was some scandal about LG TVs sending home your stuff... Germans usually suspect devices to do that anyway (even without scandals) which is why they get suspicious if devices try to collect data for whatever reason. There are webOS TVs without a camera, right?
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kkalogia likes this.
Old 01/09/2014, 06:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rnp

Hummm... if the animations was the same as in phone's wavebar...

Best Regards...
Liked by akitayo likes this.
Old 01/09/2014, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

even if ppl here dont like how it works thats fine tbh, but as long as others do and it gains popularity, all the better for LG and webOS in its fresh years to come.

ppl liking it on their TV's can only be a good thing if LG decide to expand outwards from there years later, hell with enyo rocking on the tv, ppl would probably like the fact their bought apps would work on other webOS tech.

far too many companies want us to buy the same old stuff on our different products, which for me only serves to annoy/put me off, anyone who decided to not money grab in such a way can bank in on the long run imho, popularity is whats needed afterall.
Old 01/09/2014, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

thx for sharing that akitayo!
Old 01/09/2014, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Yeah.. that's exactly how I don't want to control my TV... or any other device. Also I don't want to talk to them. I don't even want them to talk to me... The only useful application of voice and/or gesture control would be that they recognize me cursing them and stop doing whatever damn "smart" automatic task they were just trying to do (but messing up completely).

I guess that's just me... I don't know.

I guess if it creates buzz, it's good, isn't it? Although maybe not in Germany (where I come from), because it means the camera is always on, watching you. Most people here don't really like that. Like there was some scandal about LG TVs sending home your stuff... Germans usually suspect devices to do that anyway (even without scandals) which is why they get suspicious if devices try to collect data for whatever reason. There are webOS TVs without a camera, right?
Yes you have the two options with or without camera on webOS TVs
Old 01/09/2014, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
thx for sharing that akitayo!
You are welcome and don`t miss this post:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-ios-also.html

if for you developers.
Old 01/09/2014, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Lol, that was really entertaining
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 03:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have doubts that it's intended to be something that you would use all the time to control it, but hell, I love the idea of making a "Shhh" gesture to mute. As long as it doesn't end up picking up all the jokesters in my house constantly trying to trigger the finger gesture interface ... and i'm sure they'll be using the less polite fingers.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Garfonso likes this.
Old 01/10/2014, 09:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

More video from the German, webOS-blog
LG webOS Fernseher inkl. Fingererkennung angeschaut | webOS Blog

Text into English with Google:
Google Translate

Ignore the 'fingerprint recognition' in the headline. That's likely a translation error.
Old 01/11/2014, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

i can still see traces of webOS graphical elements. UI seems fast. I also like that LG insisting to promote their new smart TV sets as webOS powered, this makes their commitment serious and long term.
Old 01/11/2014, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
i can still see traces of webOS graphical elements. UI seems fast. I also like that LG insisting to promote their new smart TV sets as webOS powered, this makes their commitment serious and long term.
As LG is going to succeed with webOS TVs and blurays first, smartphones and tablets will follow at the end of 2014 I hope.

LG have to advertise webOS TVs a lot this year.
Old 01/11/2014, 05:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Seems like the OS is overshadowing theTV content. Fun to play with for 15 minutes but after than it's in the way.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 06:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post

The Facebook app is clearly using vanilla onyx styles, but I bet that will change.
Old 01/11/2014, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
The Facebook app is clearly using vanilla onyx styles, but I bet that will change.
Which link did you see that in? The German site has lots of videos and I can't understand German. (I mean in the video.. Google did a decent job translating the page)

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 07:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Oh, can't remember, sorry. As you can imagine, I've been watching every video out there, but I think I saw it at engadget.
Old 01/11/2014, 07:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
Oh, can't remember, sorry. As you can imagine, I've been watching every video out there, but I think I saw it at engadget.
I think I found it. Google is my friend. Facebook app is about 7 seconds into the video.

LG WebOS software hands-on | The Verge

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
News Contributor

Facebook pic

Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Thanked By: Grabber5.0