• 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 2 Post By dkirker
  • 2 Post By ryancell
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Verge interview. Very interesting and much more in depth than other previous ones.
    The designers behind webOS TV explain why it's 'a little bit snarky' | The Verge

Video is in flash.
    geekpeter likes this.
    At the very end they talk about the possibility of making phones. They are still open to the idea, but are waiting and blah blah. At least it wasn't a "not in the forseable future" or anything " we are only focusing on TVs right now" and so on. They seem to have phones in mind and are waiting on the right time or something. Seemed more positive about it than I expected. Come on LG you put out a crap load of android phones; lets mix it up.
    Possible webOS phones from LG are doomed without thousands of popular iOS/Android apps...
    Possible webOS phones from LG are doomed without thousands of popular iOS/Android apps...
    When you have a proper emulation like BB10 or Jolla that should be no problem :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    When you have a proper emulation like BB10 or Jolla that should be no problem :-)

Translation: Alien Dalvik FTW!!!!!
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    dkirker likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Translation: Alien Dalvik FTW!!!!!

B-)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    RumoredNow and TJs11thPre like this.
    Interview with "LG webOS" designers

I think we should be hopefule of the big picture. Hopefully LG webOS on smart tvs will get enough traction that they'll take webOS to the next level and release webOS phones. That would be awesome. Now if that ever happens, whether webOS comes back as the webOS that we know it... that's another matter. Based on what I've seen, I would guess, even so, webOS on phones will come back as a different person.

Based on what I've seen from CES, looks like LG's putting lots of support behind webOS. To the non-tech geek, average consumer "webOS" name means nothing. They could've just as well called their new webOS TVs something else instead of promoting the webOS name. But they are. So in a years time, hopefully, there will have been enough traction with webOS that we'll finally get some phones out of LG!
    The only thing that could make their plans to succeed not happen with this webOS TV would be if LG's CEO got kicked out of the company for spending money on a woman, then LG hired a new crappy replacement CEO without researching his ambitions with the current plans already set in motion and him wanting to turn LG into IBM. Then launching products that the hardware was outdated and overpriced, then never release products for many months while people are awaiting the flagship pre 3 phone, only to have webOS hardware canceled and many boxes of pre3 phones for at&t & verizon sitting around.

What are the chances of something that bizarre remotely even happening though? haha

Lets keep our fingers crossed!
    MartinH@webos and vgg like this.
    That could never happen
    vgg likes this.
    don't know if anybody has seen this yet but it's interesting to bring up

LG WebOS Tablets Probably Coming Our Way in 2014
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by usafandersons View Post
    don't know if anybody has seen this yet but it's interesting to bring up

LG WebOS Tablets Probably Coming Our Way in 2014
    Pity the title is the only thing that indicates tablets are coming in 2014, the content only mentions 2014 in reference to TVs.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    Pity the title is the only thing that indicates tablets are coming in 2014, the content only mentions 2014 in reference to TVs.

Ben
    Yeah, don't believe the hype.

I think the best bet is to listen to the designers on the Verge video. They aren't making a phone.

They didn't say they wouldn't in the future, but that they would want to get it right.

The TV's look good. Given that LG TVs are as good as anything else out there on the market, if the price is competitive, then they could do very well. As webOS as a name is out there front and center, that success could have a brand name. Then they might consider risking a phone.

Most people have never even heard of webOS - good or bad reputation.
    hulickr likes this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post

I think we should be hopefule of the big picture. Hopefully LG webOS on smart tvs will get enough traction that they'll take webOS to the next level and release webOS phones. That would be awesome. Now if that ever happens, whether webOS comes back as the webOS that we know it... that's another matter. Based on what I've seen, I would guess, even so, webOS on phones will come back as a different person.

Based on what I've seen from CES, looks like LG's putting lots of support behind webOS. To the non-tech geek, average consumer "webOS" name means nothing. They could've just as well called their new webOS TVs something else instead of promoting the webOS name. But they are. So in a years time, hopefully, there will have been enough traction with webOS that we'll finally get some phones out of LG!
    I think LG will continue to expand smart devices with webos. Blue ray players already mentioned. They have an app store already with apps already. I think they will continue to test the demand for webOS and if things are favorable they will be ready to go into phones. But I think they'll try to do connected home devices first. That's the unexplored market with highest growth. Samsung is doing that too. I think LG has staying power. One blog mentioned LG was an incredibly stubborn company. That's a great trait to have.
    It is very interesting Panasonic is going with firefox now. Some 2nd tier Chinese ones are going with roku. Some of these alliances seem a bit rushed and forced. I think LG has a headstart with webOS. Smart. Maybe their secrecy has been helpful and now the webOS group can be more open about their plans.
    I have to agree with ewl88; LG's next stated goal is making their webOS powered TV the hub of the connected home. Look for appliances as the next step forward...

Their product lines for smart ovens, refrigerators, washers and dryers are all about to get a face lift.

Watching TV?

Notification from your oven: Time to start dinner prep if your roast is to be done at 7PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    hulickr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    ^ this, current title suggests the ports team rather than LG.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    ^ this, current title suggests the ports team rather than LG.
    Agreed... our beloved moderator could revise perhaps?
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

I'm using Z10 with latest leaked ROM. Most of Android apps are running fine but still BBRY didn't get any traction. Maybe if they pull to put Playstore on BB10, untill then their Android compatibility is just for small number of existing users.