webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > A new forum section!
A new forum section!
Like Tree9Likes

Old 01/07/2014, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Somebody loves us!!!
Liked by Rnp, FenrirWolf and railbear007 like this.
Thanked By: railbear007
Old 01/07/2014, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

sorry, i gotta reserve judgment until i operate one myself.

LG's webOS may revolutionize smartTV UX, but if it's not the UX that made me love webOS since 2009, then i really don't care.

we'll see. we know the potential is there. will it be used to do what WE want, or simply what they want? it's clear they want a tv that controls the house, like something Hollywood has been simulating in movies forever. yay, start my wash with a phone call. whoopee doo.

i'd rather have a completely gesture-controlled UI, like webOS we know, and the remote is a simple device we wear on our finger and thumb, and the tv follows it. this controls a windows-like pointer, allows pinch-zoom, drag-n-drop, and of course BACKSWIPE, SWIPE-THROUGH CARDS, and SWIPE UP TO CLOSE. the core gestures of webOS. i'd also have an app for webOS phones so they can become additional remotes. a big enough tv could have input from more than one user. you're watching tv, someone else is checking email or setting up a recording.

i'm sorry but i never liked that the TP didn't have backswipe and there's only a back button in the upper left corner.

we'll see. we have nothing to do but wait n' watch anyway. but my excitement is greater for a homebrew adaptation of Eel than anything from LG yet.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by laingman likes this.
Old 01/07/2014, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sadly, no subforum for conducting discussion about ACL. All early adopters have to browse through 49 pages of discussion to search for the best way to uninstall it.
TUFF Stough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2014, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
sorry, i gotta reserve judgment until i operate one myself.

LG's webOS may revolutionize smartTV UX, but if it's not the UX that made me love webOS since 2009, then i really don't care.
My take is that any new webOS is good. On the TV, it's looking VERY good and LG are backing it there in a big way. If it is a success on TVs or further as a home control hub - then webOS will be a success rather than the failure most of the world seems to think it is.

While there are some who simply didn't like the mobile UI or never took the time to understand how it worked, most of the tech press actually seem nostalgic about it (and clearly the approach has been vindicated by the replication in iOS & Android).

The problems for webOS failure have been widely discussed - there were multiple reasons, but very few cite the UI and the other unique features of the system.

LG obviously think highly of webOS and if it succeeds on appliances, will be more likely to take it to mobiles. They are a company who can deliver quality hardware, have a marketing budget etc. They can easily fail with it again, but the system might yet succeed as a mobile OS.
Old 01/08/2014, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFF Stough View Post
Sadly, no subforum for conducting discussion about ACL. All early adopters have to browse through 49 pages of discussion to search for the best way to uninstall it.
To be fair; the LG webOS TV is real...

ACL has yet to emerge from the shadow realm.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cuspie and geekpeter like this.
Old 01/08/2014, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFF Stough View Post
Or you could create a thread showing people the steps needed?

And unless OM gets their act together soon, there will never be a need for that particular subforum. It would only be filled with posts of righteous anger.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cuspie likes this.
Old 01/08/2014, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

To any people wanting to see one really in action, I'll post a video when I get one. Is there a release date yet?
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2014, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
My take is that any new webOS is good. On the TV, it's looking VERY good and LG are backing it there in a big way. If it is a success on TVs or further as a home control hub - then webOS will be a success rather than the failure most of the world seems to think it is.
i pretty much agree. unless of course they botch it, like HP did.

but i'm not expecting Lg to drop the ball here. hopefully they know what we know, and are just figuring out how to exploit the heck out of it, for their profit and our advantage as consumers. the "ease of use" mantra they've projected already is exactly what i appreciate about webOS devices i use daily. especially compared to the kitkat i use daily as well. it's getting closer though.

which makes me wonder, where exactly did the "good" of webOS come from? on the original design teams for Palm, who is responsible for the highlights of the system, and where are they now? Are they with Lg now? Or Google? did they already poach the talent that made the parts we like, and we're just chasing a logo? idk.

but of course we'll wait n' see. i'm used to being in the minority. the person who doesn't like what the majority embraces. so i don't get what i want very often. and what i want is a Pre4G. not a HAL9000 tv.

hah that just made me think: Skynet, powered by webOS.
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 01/09/2014, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

i tell yas what: i like hearing the lead design guy (Itai?) saying "webOS is a philosophy".

yeah, drink the kool-aid, baby!
Old 01/09/2014, 03:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
i pretty much agree. unless of course they botch it, like HP did.
Yeah.. botch a launch... were did I hear that before? Original Palm Pre? HP? ACL? Seems like there are more messed up launches in webOS world than "smooth" ones. Let's hope for the best.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 05:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
To be fair; the LG webOS TV is real...

ACL has yet to emerge from the shadow realm.
Whilst I have every confidence that LG will start shipping these TVs I see no reason that one companies announced and demoed product should be considered real whilst another's is a shadow. If anything ACL is less shadow as it has actually been released (momentarily) and is in the hands of some consumers - even if it is a bit doubtful when/if the current issues will be resolved.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 06:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
hah that just made me think: Skynet, powered by webOS.
Is that how they turned Schwarzenegger for the 2nd movie? - Did you go into developer mode and applied some patches using preware? - That kinda explains a lot.

Quote:
i tell yas what: i like hearing the lead design guy (Itai?) saying "webOS is a philosophy".
didn't it use to be the Zen of Palm? (http://www.cs.uml.edu/~fredm/courses.../zenofpalm.pdf)
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Old 01/09/2014, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misj' View Post

didn't it use to be the Zen of Palm? (http://www.cs.uml.edu/~fredm/courses.../zenofpalm.pdf)
Gosh, where do you guys find these old things? *coughing the dust outa my lungs*
Old 01/09/2014, 08:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

According to a dutch website, LG wil WebOS ook op tablets en telefoons zetten | nu.nl/tech LG has plans to put webos on tablets and phones!

Article in short: according to LG, ie Samuel Chang, webos was no success with HP because of HP's hardware, not because of the software...

No timelines of course

Last edited by poehoes; 01/09/2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: wrong url
poehoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poehoes View Post
According to a dutch website, LG wil WebOS ook op tablets en telefoons zetten | nu.nl/tech LG has plans to put webos on tablets and phones!

Article in short: according to LG, ie Samuel Chang, webos was no success with HP because of HP's hardware, not because of the software...

No timelines of course
Thanks. If you have time to do a full translation, it would be awesome for us single-language readers.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/09/2014 at 07:28 PM.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 09:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Thanks. If you have time to do a full translation, it would be awesome for us single-language readers.
translate.google.com is your friend. It does a pretty bad job but you get the gist which is essentially what has already been said: they intent to develop for all internet connected devices including tablets and phones and they think HP failed due to hardware rather than software.

I can only assume they are thinking of the issues with the original Pre and the Touchpad, the Pre3 I have seems fine if a little old-hat these days and I understand the Pre2 and Veer are also fine.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ns-zetten.html
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
translate.google.com is your friend. It does a pretty bad job...
That is why I asked for a human translation. I will read that just to entertain myself.

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/09/2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01/09/2014, 11:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
That is why I asked for a human translation. I will read that just to entertain myself.
OK a quick one, since I'm native Dutch

It seems it's quite a stretch what they claim....

Quote:
LG is van plan naast tv's ook andere apparaten zoals smartphones en tablets uit te rusten met besturingssysteem WebOS.
Foto: LG

Dat vertelt Samuel Chang, bij LG verantwoordelijk voor WebOS en smart tv's, in een gesprek met NUtech.

"We willen WebOS graag naar andere producten brengen", aldus Chang. "Alle apparaten die verbinding maken met het internet zijn een mogelijke optie."
Quote:
Header:
LG Plans to release besides to TV's also other devices like smartphones and tablets with the operating system webOS.

That's what Samual Chang, responsible at LG for webOS and Smart TV's says in a conversation with NUTech.

"We would like to bring webOS to other products", according to Chang. "All devices that are connected to the internet are a possible option."
To me that reads as it's an option they MIGHT look into, not anything set in stone or confirmed yet. Though it makes sense, since nobody besides Samsung seems to earn much from Android currently and LG has a tough battle for 3/4 place in the market with Huawei and others.
Old 01/09/2014, 11:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
OK a quick one, since I'm native Dutch

It seems it's quite a stretch what they claim....

To me that reads as it's an option they MIGHT look into, not anything set in stone or confirmed yet. Though it makes sense, since nobody besides Samsung seems to earn much from Android currently and LG has a tough battle for 3/4 place in the market with Huawei and others.
Thanks. I was thinking it sounded like a stretch too based on what made sense out of the google translation.

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/09/2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01/09/2014, 11:18 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

Source: LG wil WebOS ook op tablets en telefoons zetten | nu.nl/tech | Het laatste nieuws het eerst op nu.nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu.nl
LG wants to put webOS on tablets and phones as well

Besides televisions, LG plans to equip the operation system webOS on other devices as well, such as smartphones and tablets.

That was said by Samuel Chang - who is responsible at LG for webOS and smart TV's - in a conversation with NUtech. "We really want to bring webOS to other products", according to Chang. "All devices that make a connection to the internet are possible candidates"

Google TV, that LG used to equip their TV's with, is history. "It wasn't a big success and we don't have any new models with Google TV anymore", says Chang. The existing models will still be sold for now.

Failure

Last year, webOS came into the hands of LG. The South-Korean company acquired the software from HP, which bought it in 2010 from Palm. All webOS employees moved to LG as well.

At HP, the sofware was intended for tablets and smartphones, however, those products weren't a success. LG has converted the operating system to software for smartTV's.

The reason webOS wasn't a success at HP is - according to LG - because of the hardware that company created; not because of the software.

Herrie already translated the important part, but I had finished most of the translation when he posted, so I decided to post it anyway. My conclusion is the same as Herrie's (it's a stretch). But I do appreciate the last sentence.

Last edited by Misj'; 01/09/2014 at 11:25 AM.
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Tags
developement, television, web os