webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Who are the consumers in question?
Who are the consumers in question?
Like Tree5Likes

Old 01/07/2014, 02:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ok, let's start the first thread in the new forum:

Who thinks about buying a WebOS TV? And if you are thinking about buying one, what are your experiences up today? Did you use a SmartTV before? I mean, really USE it (not just for watching TV)!

For my part, I am intrigued and will thoroughly check this product out, once it comes into our local stores. But I have a Samsung U55ES8080 and a few smaller "non smart" TVs at home and am quite happy with that, so I do not have the immediate necessity to buy a new one

So how about you?
Old 01/07/2014, 02:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I do think that a TV that is inherently connect to the internet would evolve as the mobile phone has evolved...

e.g having a front facing camera - for video con with family / friends etc.

applications / browser will only enhance the offering. I think the SMART TV is going to change how the sitting room is going to be like.. I myself have a Samsung - flat screen LED, and plan to get it connected to the web using their usb wifi dongle -and explore whats possible.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just seen video of lg's new webos powered TV's at CES , love it , lg tv's just keep getting better and better .
If the webos TV's are also in 4k I will be getting one this year or maybe next year depending on price.
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 03:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm quite intrigued of buying a webOS smart TV.
I currently have a Samsung "Smart" TV of 2011 (PS63C7790, sadly I have some ugly burn ins that's why I think of replacing it). I stopped using the "Smart" part and only use it as display for my HTPC and Wii / Wii U... The "smart" part is not really usable on this TV... You can press "Internet@TV" on the remote and some ugly app-grid will greet you. You can to some extend customize the apps, but on an update all your changes will be undone and the old app-grid is laughing in your face again.
Some of the apps are ok to use... but most are not.

Switching back to TV is easy, just press the Interet@TV button again. If done accidentally there is no way of going back to the app without starting over from the app-grid.

There is a UPNP Media player which basically works but is awfully slow and complicated to navigate.

So the overall experience of those "smart" parts is not pleasant.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 03:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

A smart TV is some what irrelevant for people who use a "box"from their provider. In my family (and most other people I know) use there TV as monitors.

Not to be a downer, but this platform will have a tough time of Motorola and the service providers make cable boxes do the same thing.
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 03:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Ah, I might add that I have a box from my cable company, too, which also has some "smart" capabilities and they are as unusable as are the ones in my SmartTV. The box is from 2013, though...

If webOS on TVs does the same thing that webOS on mobile devices did, i.e. force the guys with the big market shares to improve their totally sucking UIs and concepts, then it would be a success. Sure, all the copies are not as good as the original... but Android with recent apps list is much closer to being usable than Android completely without it... so all those Android fanboys out there should be thankful to us webOS fanboys. Same goes for iOS and WP7/8.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 01/07/2014, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

webOS for LG TVs is so different from the handheld version I love, that to me it's just another smart TV user interface. I feel no relation to it just because it's called webOS.

That being said, it seems like a good interface, and I will give LG serious consideration when it's time to upgrade my TV in a year or two.
Old 01/07/2014, 07:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well for me I have three internet connected Sony Blu-Ray devices, the family streams Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, YouTube. When we want to listen to some music we may stream Pandora or Slacker...

Now I also have a Wii connected which they can also stream Netflix/Hulu but it is not in HD (1080p/I)

I also have a Vizio Smart TV (of which one of the Sony Blu-Ray is also connected). It takes a long time to turn on (boot up), but once up it's Smart function work well, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon(came with a movie credit), showtime, it has a few extra channels that the Sony Blu-Ray does not have, but it works and the interface is not the best, but not the worst.

I also have live (over-the-air broadcasts), and other HDMI boxes connect to the TV for media content, but the big issue for me is the lack of picture-in-picture.

The Vizio Smart TV has a Picture-in-Picture but only for live (OTA and HDMI), so if you have older component (RCA jacked) they can not be Picture-in-Picture so the Wii is not even an option...

I will look at the LG webOS TV, but from the look of the $70,000 price tag, I out of that market until the price comes way down...

Last edited by John Steffes; 01/07/2014 at 07:41 AM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
Just seen video of lg's new webos powered TV's at CES , love it , lg tv's just keep getting better and better .
If the webos TV's are also in 4k I will be getting one this year or maybe next year depending on price.
Apparently, all of the lg webOS TVs will be in Ultra HD TV (4k):http://pivotce.com/2014/01/07/webos-at-the-ces-2014
evacaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evacaf View Post
Apparently, all of the lg webOS TVs will be in Ultra HD TV (4k):webOS at the CES 2014 | pivotCE
Er, no, you have that backwards

All upcoming Ultra HD TVs (That's 4K) from LG will have webOS, but not all webOS Smart TV's will be Ultra HD.

The figures I've seen are:
webOS on 56% of all LG TVs
on 70% of Smart TVs
on ALL Ultra HD TVs

Obviously, LG makes some 'dumb' TVs, some HD only TVs...

Please note, pivotCE is a volunteer publication with almost no resources. All our data comes basically from this and other forums and the sources you can all see on the internet. We just try to make sense of it and package it up for the community and anyone outside of it that's interested.
Old 01/07/2014, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

My TV is on its last legs, and I will definitely take a long hard look at the LG model. Seems all TVs are "smart" these days, I'd rather buy one that is actually usable in that mode. The video looks promising, and by golly gee willickers, I'm a total webOS fanboy.
jakerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

I will look at LG when I have a need for a new tv. I had a panasonic DLP that just died and now use a samsung plasma which works fine. I have an xbox 360, will consider xbox one or sony PS4 in a few months (I'm a very occasional light gamer), have a chromecast which I've played with. and that adds all the functionality I need right now. I would consider an LG box to add that functionality if not too expensive. The open webos won't be a huge reason to get an LG tv but it may break a tie with a samsung if LG is easier to use and prices are similar. I think LG has made a good bet on the future and to hedge against tv competitors. LG will have to make more smart devices to make its own ecosystem really a must-have.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
I would consider an LG box to add that functionality if not too expensive.
I would consider one as well, but I suppose for the full experience it would want to have a few HDMI inputs on it. You would also lose some of the experience if you used the Tuner built into the TV.

Many people will run all their HDMI gear through an AVR to make use of the HD audio, so for many they will only see the apps and one AVR HDMI input in the webOS interface (whether it was a separate box or a webOS tv). Then they're back to having to use two remotes on two devices to change to the content they want (on a third device), which I presume is what LG are trying to avoid.

If there was a separate box, you could connect all your devices to the LG box and then run the box through the AVR (again not using the TVs internal tuner), then the AVR and TV always stay on the same input (for video related stuff) which would be nice.

Maybe their target audience don't have AVRs? Maybe they think if you own an AVR you will be more able to cope with some complexity?

I think they're heading in the right direction, but it's not foolproof yet.

Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Ok, let's start the first thread in the new forum:

Who thinks about buying a WebOS TV? And if you are thinking about buying one, what are your experiences up today? Did you use a SmartTV before? I mean, really USE it (not just for watching TV)!

For my part, I am intrigued and will thoroughly check this product out, once it comes into our local stores. But I have a Samsung U55ES8080 and a few smaller "non smart" TVs at home and am quite happy with that, so I do not have the immediate necessity to buy a new one

So how about you?
I am definitely going to buy one, because:

1. My basement TV is huge, low quality, and has lots of dead bugs in the edges of the screen

2. I love webOS

3. I always come up with a 3rd thing to list

And yes I have used a Smart TV, it was made by samsung, and the UI is absofruitly ridiculous, slow, and basically if you try to do anything, it slows all the way down. Android was only meant for one thing, and that was smartphones and tablets. Not desktops, tvs and (INSERT 3RD CHOICE HERE)
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 likes this.
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 01/07/2014, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm with Steffes. I don't have a pre-connected TV, but I have a connected Sony Bluray player too. And honestly, I almost exclusively stream internet content, though sometimes I'll tune in the HD broadcast for a football game or something.

(Side note: I really hate dealing with Comcast. NO I DON'T WANT CABLE TELEVISION, JUST MOAR INTERNETS, WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?!?!)

I don't particularly feel the need to upgrade at the moment. But I agree with Garfonso: It's good to see webOS out there making with the pretty so that when I do get my next box, it'll hopefully be more enjoyable to use. Especially w.r.t. navigation.

'Cause that's the thing: For someone who's on the net it's more interactive. You're looking for more specific things, always on demand. It's not a turn it on and wait for whatever's coming out of the pipe situation. So there's more of a dialog between you and the TV that wasn't there before.

I think there's room for improvement on that score.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 09:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

I know I would buy a webOS television the next time I upgrade. I don't really need apps or anything like that, I've got a PS3/360/Wii U for my entertainment purposes. I would buy it just to upgrade my tv and also support webOS.

I currently have a 50" LG television and a 60" LG television and couldn't be happier with them. I'd definitely support a webOS television.
Old 01/07/2014, 09:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
News Contributor

IMHO I think this Phil McKinney comment might help us all:

Phil McKinney comment on facebook and Pics:

I checked out the webOS TV from LG .. and bellow are some pictures. Some initial comments ...

1) The "card" navigation was changed lightly to accommodate the navigation on a non-touch screen. The team did a great job of maintaining the webOS feel while adjusting it to the form factor.
2) The performance was very good ...
3) The navigation with the "remote" was easy to learn/use ...
4) The app catalog look good to start with.

... the verdict?? I would love to have one!

The pics on this forum: http://forums.webosnation.com/open-w...ml#post3410997
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 10:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
All upcoming Ultra HD TVs (That's 4K) from LG will have webOS, but not all webOS Smart TV's will be Ultra HD.

The figures I've seen are:
webOS on 56% of all LG TVs
on 70% of Smart TVs
on ALL Ultra HD TVs
Some more figures I saw on LG unveils Ultra HD TVs, WebOS Smart TV interface and Lifeband Touch (Wired UK)

"In total, LG's telly lineup this year will include four new plasma series with five models in total; eight new LCD series with 25 models in total; 6 new Ultra HD series with 12 models in total. Among the highlights are a gallery-style OLED TV that's completely flat and looks like art when not in use, the world's largest curved Ultra HD TV -- measuring in at 105 inches -- and the world's largest curved OLED TV, which stretches to 77 inches."

5+25+12 = 42... something about that number...
Old 01/08/2014, 10:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benh View Post
I would consider one as well, but I suppose for the full experience it would want to have a few HDMI inputs on it. You would also lose some of the experience if you used the Tuner built into the TV.

Many people will run all their HDMI gear through an AVR to make use of the HD audio, so for many they will only see the apps and one AVR HDMI input in the webOS interface (whether it was a separate box or a webOS tv). Then they're back to having to use two remotes on two devices to change to the content they want (on a third device), which I presume is what LG are trying to avoid.

If there was a separate box, you could connect all your devices to the LG box and then run the box through the AVR (again not using the TVs internal tuner), then the AVR and TV always stay on the same input (for video related stuff) which would be nice.

Maybe their target audience don't have AVRs? Maybe they think if you own an AVR you will be more able to cope with some complexity?

I think they're heading in the right direction, but it's not foolproof yet.

Ben
They have a partnership w Harmon Kardon for audio--their target audience first may be people with only tv or only tv and cable box. There are plenty who don't like wires or who are confused by avoiding inputs. But they will also offer on bluray and on allmost half their tv's I read-- if so will be interesting
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2014, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm seriously thinking about this...

I have a Sony box for Google TV and would ditch that for a smart TV - if it plays out correctly. By the time these hit in the US we will know a lot more. AppWorld next month will bring a slew of news about what content is going along for the ride.

My particular problem is - will they make a webOS TV in the smaller size I need for my space. Around 32-40" would be optimal

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote