webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Video: LG webOS TV INSIDE at CES 2014.
Video: LG webOS TV INSIDE at CES 2014.
Like Tree20Likes

Old 01/06/2014, 03:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Still no SDK? Don't understand that.
wMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 04:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

Looks like news about the SDK is coming soon, according to Itai Vonshak: https://twitter.com/vonsh/status/420293400949047296
sporkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 05:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
Still no SDK? Don't understand that.
Look at Enyo 2...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 05:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
News Contributor

LG WebOS software hands-on - YouTube

credits: The Verge
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/06/2014, 08:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Probably said multiple times already, but NOW is there enough WebOS info to update the main page? I can see the Verge scooping the story last week of what might have been (sniff) but by now the nations team should have woken up. Even PivotCE is ahead of them ( Way to go Pivot team!)
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 08:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hmm... thanks. Could have been quicker. I suspect some kind of edit lock. I'm afraid we only had the stream and the stories you are all seeing to go on.

If anyone wants to donate for us to all go to Las Vegas next year for the phone release... ;-)

I just saw this:
The Open #WebOS Community Daily

Something unofficial I think. I briefly thought it was big news of OpenwebOS! They suggest webOS Nation as a news source - so obviously a bit out of touch!
Old 01/06/2014, 09:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

I for one would like to thank Dieter and The Verge for carrying the torch. Not often we get to see webOS front and center!

The Verge

Attached Images
File Type: jpg webosverge.JPG (82.5 KB, 196 views) Email Attachment

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 10:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Oh yea of little faith!

He's on the wrong blog, but...

LG spills all the bean (bird)s on webOS for TV, gets first crack at Netflix 4K | iMore
Old 01/06/2014, 11:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

so they took everything about webos, stripped it out, made it completely different, and slapped the webos name on it. why? it looks nothing like webos. it acts nothing like webos. it is missing most of what made webos w-e-b-o-s. maybe they just bought the remnants of webos just for the name recognition.

pretty sad to see how they stripped it to the point where it does not even resemble anything that it once was.
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by purplepansy likes this.
Old 01/06/2014, 11:41 PM   #31 (permalink)

The surface look has changed a lot from webOS as we know it, but it does keep certain elements in common...

One of the things LG aimed to do with their setup is make it so that apps and content and such all exist side-by-side akin to the way cards exist side-by-side on webOS phones/tablets. Which to me is a great idea because I've always disliked how iOS and Android are both designed around icon grids as the center of the OS experience.

Sure, iOS has card-esque switching for multitasking now and Android has their vertical app bar things, but those still look and feel like secondary experiences laid atop the icon grid.

Meanwhile, webOS on phones always had this paradigm reversed. The cards ARE the apps, and everything about the OS is centered around that idea. The app drawer exists, but it plays second-fiddle to the cards instead of the other way around.

From the little I've seen of LG's implementation of webOS, it feels like they've at least succeeded in putting the icon grid out of the forefront, even if it's not exactly the same as Palm's original style.
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by hulickr likes this.
Old 01/07/2014, 08:56 AM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

real live demonstration of webOS-TV:
CES 2014: LG WebOS in-depth demonstration - YouTube

btw. is that a /webOS Notification/ that pops in?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg webostv_notification.jpg (142.9 KB, 158 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by gizmo21; 01/07/2014 at 09:24 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, kevets and Garfonso like this.
Thanked by akitayo, Rnp
Old 01/07/2014, 10:48 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
real live demonstration of webOS-TV:
CES 2014: LG WebOS in-depth demonstration - YouTube

btw. is that a /webOS Notification/ that pops in?

Click to view quoted image
Seems like it
Best demonstration video so far.
And it seems they took the launcher to the next level and build the history of the launched apps in there as well and just kept the quick launcher part. Also the UI seems very responsive and noticed search icon on the top so I'm sure that will be the just type equivalent and of course they have the synergized content on the tv. Seems like that there 2 sizes of the cards as well. They've managed to flatten the look but not to the point of making it dull also (some curves on transitions and on hover) and of course flatten/narrowed with the synergy of webos.
Old 01/07/2014, 07:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Not a great video, but shows gesture recognition at the end.
LG's WebOS TV Hands-On: An Awesome Resurrection

Putting your finger to your lips brings up the volume control - fancy!
Edit: Oh, no, that's the instant mute - control bar is something else.

More on the interface:
LG's new webOS interface is a smart, simple, but occasionally jittery way to navigate your TV | The Verge

Last edited by Preemptive; 01/07/2014 at 10:31 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 08:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
News Contributor

Phil McKinney comment on facebook and Pics:

I checked out the webOS TV from LG .. and bellow are some pictures. Some initial comments ...

1) The "card" navigation was changed lightly to accommodate the navigation on a non-touch screen. The team did a great job of maintaining the webOS feel while adjusting it to the form factor.
2) The performance was very good ...
3) The navigation with the "remote" was easy to learn/use ...
4) The app catalog look good to start with.

... the verdict?? I would love to have one!

Last edited by akitayo; 01/07/2014 at 09:01 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2014, 10:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

The designers behind webOS TV explain why it's 'a little bit snarky' | The Verge

The end of this discussion is very interesting.
1. They don't deny the possibility of making a phone
2. If it happens, it will take a while - because they're going to build out an eco-system from the TVs to other products

For those of us on the forum, it seems odd to question if webOS will work on phones, but LG must be wary of the past record.

I think one route here could be from TV's to second screen (LG connect API) and remote control apps for the home. webOS talks to the internet and could interact with other devices across it. TV -> webOS home remote -> tablet -> phone.

I don't think any of this means there WILL be a phone from LG - webOS-Ports remain our best hope. But I think it's more likely now than at any time since the acquisition. Perhaps even a successful port will spur them on even as they supply code that could be useful for the Ports team - such as the LG connect api.
Old 01/08/2014, 12:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

I think the one answer from Itai says a lot, and is a pretty responsible way of looking at it.

"We want to understand why webOS would be the great thing there... how would we do a device that would be so much better because we used webOS?"

Sounds like they are thinking of the ecosystem and making sure that whatever they do is a well thought out approach.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 01/09/2014, 07:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

An advertisement for LG webOS | pivotCE

Tweeted out by one of our pals from the Russian forum:

An advertisement for LG webOS | pivotCE

The first ad!
Old 01/09/2014, 08:28 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
I think the one answer from Itai says a lot, and is a pretty responsible way of looking at it.

"We want to understand why webOS would be the great thing there... how would we do a device that would be so much better because we used webOS?"

Sounds like they are thinking of the ecosystem and making sure that whatever they do is a well thought out approach.
When I look at the videos coming through, I see this as proof that webOS is still an amazing paradyme for our modern world of connected devices. Some have said that the interface is not the webOS they love. But to me this implementation is EXACTLY the power that webOS brought to us on our phones and tablet, and while it's not a smartphone, its revolutionary to a market that has heretofore been similar to the feature phone market 5 years ago. WebOS is once again showing that its inherent design philosophy (multi-tasking, quick access, intuitive UI) is precicely what is needed in the new digital age, regardless of the specific device we may find most interestimg to ourselves. LG is doing for TV's, what Palm did for smartphones only a few short years ago. What's more exiting to me is that they are a company with the hardware expertise to realize it's potential in mainstream consumer devices.

I'm proud to see LG take webOS, and modify its UI to do something valuable and desperately necessary for the TV market, and to me it proves that webOS was actually a philosophy beyond our own smartphone world, and showcases the beauty of the principle of webOS in our lives.

I bought a new smart Panasonic plasma TV 2 years ago, hoping that "smart" was ready enough to provide the value of the price premium. It has lots of features that can theoretically be used, but it is a separate, dischordant, add-on that is like using an Android phone circa 2008 ;-) it gives you stuff, but it's a pain to actually fit into your life. WebOS gave me a freedom that Android and iOS were lacking at the time, and still fail to deliver today.

Whether or not you're a TV fan or not, webOS TV with LG, appears to have been implemented in the spirit in which webOS was created and from what I see, delivers a revolutionary experience in a consumer-facing market.
I think that LG is smart to build it's reinvention in a way that is true to the innovative spirit of webOS, in a market that needs the same innovation, and without the necessity to place it in direct competition with the market that it was dishonorably executed in. The OS was never the issue, only it's mishandling. If LG delivers it on the down lo, using enyo to provide app compatibilty, and not trying to build a separate and proprietary ecosystem, the core values of webos become validated and entrenched in our connected world, and this builds value for webOS as the great equilizer... perhaps even the "Chrome OS" for the post PC world.

If they can succeed in delivering device agnostic interoperability, it could mean the webOS paradyme becoming the standard for our connected devices, even if it isnt the smartphone you have. And this means the smartphone industry could once again court webOS as a viable player, rather than a "long dead" os.

Tell me what you think, and whether it's just a TV gimmick, or someting that brings webOS philosophy to the real world.

Cheers

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
hulickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo, T-Pad and RumoredNow like this.