webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Whoa! New LG Enyo apps for webOS tv
Whoa! New LG Enyo apps for webOS tv
Like Tree16Likes

Old 01/04/2014, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Take a look at this in the LG app store marked for demo at CES 2014. So is each square showing a preview of what is on a live channel at that moment?

::: LG Smart World :::
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter and jrb363 like this.
Thanked by jrb363, RumoredNow
Old 01/04/2014, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Take a look at this in the LG app store marked for demo at CES 2014. So is each square showing a preview of what is on a live channel at that moment?

::: LG Smart World :::
I'm concerned by that air traffic control app - that's taking remote control too far!
Old 01/05/2014, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

funny that there are already star ratings on the apps. LOL

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2014, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
funny that there are already star ratings on the apps. LOL
funny . Although I'm guessing that these may already be a available for their current smart tv's, so not necessarily as goofy. But the cool thing is that enyo gives them the brilliant ability to be able to make all their new apps cross-platform compatible, so they don't have to deal with an app-gap for popular tablet/smartphone OS users on introduction of their new TV's !

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
hulickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Lg is now saying webos will be on 70 percent of its tvs. 70 percent, this is huge as tvs are almost half of the entire co revenue.

Korea early this year. Followed by US and others (read ales where they are firing up a plant in Mexico soon)
Liked by Paul_D, geekpeter and jrb363 like this.
Old 01/06/2014, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulickr View Post
funny . Although I'm guessing that these may already be a available for their current smart tv's, so not necessarily as goofy. But the cool thing is that enyo gives them the brilliant ability to be able to make all their new apps cross-platform compatible, so they don't have to deal with an app-gap for popular tablet/smartphone OS users on introduction of their new TV's !
Yeah, that page shows all apps including current platforms. The demo apps are tagged with ENYO and there are a couple others I'm not sure what the tag means.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
rlh

Is it me ?
I just heard the LG Boss saying about creating WebOS : "we took these (webos') possibilities and applied them first to TVs."
CES 2014 LIVE | LG CES 2014
around 14:24s in the video

Does this mean they really have other plans (hardware) in mind ?
rlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh View Post
Is it me ?
I just heard the LG Boss saying about creating WebOS : "we took these (webos') possibilities and applied them first to TVs."
CES 2014 LIVE | LG CES 2014
around 14:24s in the video

Does this mean they really have other plans (hardware) in mind ?
Yep... You heard right. They will use webOS on "other devices" which they decline to list at this stage.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
rlh

I see, that simply could mean LG WebOs Fridges though.
rlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh View Post
I see, that simply could mean LG WebOs Fridges though.
Right... They really are pushing the smart, connected home "theme" and plan on making the TV the hub.

What happens then is that LG realizes people want to control the home while away and they will use their mobile device. If they want truly seamless integration that almost forces them to come up with a webOS powered phone, phablet and tablet. Cut out the middlemen and go all in with a proprietary system. That way consumers buy into every facet and enrich LG's coffers.

One OS to rule them all and in the future bind them...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by brandongoeszoom likes this.
Old 01/06/2014, 03:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

cool graphic, bro.

If consumers like the tv and they can start to build a third party ecosystem --they will have a browser built in and I I think its natural people will want some apps--then they can also start thinking about phones and tablets. But I think the technology for the phones and tablets has to ramp up so that they can run more apps in the web browser similar to a laptop--we might be a few years away from webos phone and tablet and LG knows this.
Old 01/06/2014, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Interview with Tech Crunch

Itai Vonshak, the VP of Design and Product Management: "All our Partners are creating great apps that are HTML 5."

Tech Crunch: How portable are the apps to other devices?

Itai: There are a few things that we are probably going to announce later...industry, Chromecast... going in the direction of HTML5...the web will win.

Tech Crunch: What about other devices? (lots of nervous laughter)

Itai: We definitely are working on it. We are not announcing anything today but we are working on expanding webOS. LG has put its weight behind it.

WebOS Design Lead Takes Us Through LG’s New Smart TV Platform Ambitions | TechCrunch
Old 01/06/2014, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

After watching the keynote and webOS on TV stuff I would have said we'll never see an LG webOS phone. At least none that is running webOS natively.

But watching that interview and seeing Itai Vonshak's reaction to the question about webOS on phones... man, you gotta wonder what they'll show us at CES 2015 (and I'm not holding my breath for printers and fridges!)
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/06/2014, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

A lot more information here (see link below) and some which I don't like.

Such as there will be a universal search engine for content across all apps but if the viewer won't let LG collect personal info about viewer, then won't be able to use universal search (which shouldn't depend on viewer info so this sounds like some BS stuff from LG)

Also ads will probably be on the tv interface (blech).

Creepy stuff like this means I would probably wait for Apple or someone to innovate that isn't so desperate to exploit my information to line their pockets.

LG Smart TVs Use Palm WebOS for Sleeker Interface - Tom's Guide
Old 01/06/2014, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Better Question - Will only webOS faithful's be allowed access to these new webOS apps? will there be any integration into existing webOS hardware? Or are we just the red-headed step children of the webOS world...
usafandersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 10:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

No way man - we ARE the webOS world.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, geekpeter and RumoredNow like this.
Old 01/07/2014, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

We haven't heard much about the browser on the tv.
My guess is we will get some way to throw browser content from mobile devices onto the tv ala ChromeCast.

Emphasis will be on capturing information about the viewer so anything that helps this--(including perhaps, once web apps really take of, we will see mobile devices that are webOS.

So webOS will be a cousin of the snoopy sneaky ad-infested Android,rather than come from its heritage as a OS created by one of the Apple innovators --ie from a company who makes most of its money from sales of hardware and software.

But time will tell how this plays out.
Old 01/07/2014, 09:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

More info from Gizmodo.

Some of the more interesting tidbits:
1) webOS will be on some of LG blu ray players but no voice or gesture. Also some of the tvs will require you to buy a separate camera

2) It looks like it shows info about some of the shows in a box alongside the show--the description reminds me of Amazon's x-ray feature on its tablets which draws from IMDB

3. Some of the gestures include:
Raising finger up brings up the launcher
Putting fingers to lips mutes the volume

4) if you don't have the voice or gesture, I'm guessing you can use a smartphone app which would be easier than a remote for inputting text. For some reason using these apps annoys the hell out of me, not to mention having to remember to close the app before it drains the smartphone

LG's WebOS TV Hands-On: An Awesome Resurrection
Old 01/07/2014, 10:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

And here's dieter talking with the designers:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/528...tle-bit-snarky

Edit
Very interesting. In February they will put out enyo guidelines. They confirmed what I suspected, namely that they will make it so mobile devices can push content to the tv. They probably will do a webos phone eventually if they can figure the value add features. There is a clash between software culture and traditional LG but lg for now seems to handle this better than Hp.

Last edited by bluenote; 01/08/2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01/08/2014, 02:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

Could you fix that link? I wanna read the article XD
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote