webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > WSJ: LG "may" develop webOS phone
WSJ: LG "may" develop webOS phone
Like Tree20Likes

Old 12/29/2013, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Someone get Derek back here to report on this:

From todays WSJ:

"LG now plans to showcase an Internet-connected television model powered by webOS in January at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, a person familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal.

He didn’t elaborate on the features of the operating system, but said it would retain the “cards” system, or a stack of pop-ups that allows users to navigate multiple applications, originally used in the webOS mobile devices launched by H-P.

The person didn’t comment on the company’s plans to market the webOS-powered TVs but said the operating system may be developed and later adopted for LG’s other consumer electronics, including smartphones.

LG, the world’s second-largest TV market after Samsung Electronics Co., has been busy churning out new premium TV models this year to spark interest in a segment that accounts for nearly 40% of its revenue. The company is also set to showcase a whopping 105-inch curved-screen television at CES, with a similar model expected from Samsung..."

LG to Soon Unveil webOS-Powered TV - Digits - WSJ
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by carldc, akitayo, creepycat and 1 others like this.
Old 12/29/2013, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Probably depends on how well the TVs sell

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2013, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I assume webOS is powering the 105 inch screen mentioned in the article because one of the job postings on LGsvl.com mentions designing webOS for a 10 foot display.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2013, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

As long as they market the words (Webos) or whatever they want to call it. I'm cool if they decided to change the name to something else to start fresh. But whatever name needs to be a household name before they can make the push into other markets.
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2013, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I really, really wish I could get a LG webOS TV. A new phone would be great too! I want to make new stuff!
Choorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Alan Morford and cujoq37 like this.
Thanked By: Garfonso
Old 12/29/2013, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
News Contributor

I want to BELIEVE.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Ayoras, geekpeter and 1 others like this.
Old 12/29/2013, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

i have always liked webOS, for real, demonstrable reasons. the system is well designed. the gestures are smart and efficient. i'm not familiar with iOS but i can definitely say that android still isn't as polished and fluid, umpteen generations later.

SOMEONE at Lg must be able to recognize what we see in it.

gawd i HOPE someone has used one of the phones for a while, as their daily device, and knows and understands what WE know.

hopefully Lg already knows they have greatness in their midst, and are just wondering how to get the masses to bite so they don't sink in HP's wake. Of course, nothing like a "superTV" to sink a lot of hooks into consumers. One whole year of "wow look at webOS on a tv!" could really churn Lg R+D into high gear by Xmas '14.

and it's not like Audi back in the day, that had to reinvent itself after a bad reputation. The bad reputation can be easily pinned to HP mgmt and left to history, if Lg truly capitalizes on the best of webOS with this TV endeavor. webOS has never been to blame in my mind, or i wouldn't have gone back for a new one each time it broke. I wouldn't still be using it today.

i don't know how else i could convince Lg to do the right thing, because even if we petitioned them on the greatness of a new phone, they know like we do that it requires the 'buy-in' of the fickle consumer masses. But they are so easily manipulated. too easily. which is why apple is now the enemy, not the underdog these days.

let us hope, that Lg has greater wisdom and vision. and nothing like a 105" tv screen to show everyone else, what's very clear to me.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by eblade likes this.
Old 12/30/2013, 08:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

I dont think webos has a bad reputation among the mass consumer. It has no reputation among the consumer. When I was trotting out my pre 2 a year ago, people were genuinely curious what is this small compact phone? I would have to explain who palm was and something about hp. (Dim flickers of comprehension).
Lg will sell lots of these webos tvs if it runs well. Lg and samsung are really dominating tvs now. Sony and panasonic are not as visible anymore. So as long as it runs well (smoothly without crashes and without huge boot times) and is priced well, lgs will sell. The discovery of webos intuitive power will come later. And then discovery of additional apps.
Verge mentioned about audi and google and apple's auto consortium today as well. It may not be impossible that lg could be talking to some korean car makers about auto interfaces with webos. Car makers want intuitive and powerful interfaces for their increasingly connected cars but dont necessarily want to jump on a bandwagon with google. Car brands are esp paranoid about differentation. webos may just be open enough for them to build off of without handing all their data to google.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by eblade likes this.
Old 12/30/2013, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

After that TV data collection fiasco with LG, I'm not sure if I want a TV from them. Pack that together with the IPS panel lottery bullcrap...

...plus I just got a TV so don't expect to get another for several years.

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2013, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
I want to BELIEVE.
Well it is plausible. LG's been known to do some weird things, they have that weird 4:3 phone and they stood by QWERTY phones (look up LG Optimus F3Q). So we've got that going for us... which is nice.

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2013, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
As long as they market the words (Webos) or whatever they want to call it. I'm cool if they decided to change the name to something else to start fresh. But whatever name needs to be a household name before they can make the push into other markets.
Just like renaming Oak to Java. and they should

Then again MIcrosoft went from Longhorn to Vista.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2013, 10:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
I want to BELIEVE.
That was a flop for the X-Files

just go with Believe aka 2004 RedSox

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2013, 11:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
I dont think webos has a bad reputation among the mass consumer. It has no reputation among the consumer. When I was trotting out my pre 2 a year ago, people were genuinely curious what is this small compact phone? I would have to explain who palm was and something about hp. (Dim flickers of comprehension).
Lg will sell lots of these webos tvs if it runs well. Lg and samsung are really dominating tvs now. Sony and panasonic are not as visible anymore. So as long as it runs well (smoothly without crashes and without huge boot times) and is priced well, lgs will sell. The discovery of webos intuitive power will come later. And then discovery of additional apps.
Verge mentioned about audi and google and apple's auto consortium today as well. It may not be impossible that lg could be talking to some korean car makers about auto interfaces with webos. Car makers want intuitive and powerful interfaces for their increasingly connected cars but dont necessarily want to jump on a bandwagon with google. Car brands are esp paranoid about differentation. webos may just be open enough for them to build off of without handing all their data to google.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good post. webos is in no way ruined, only people in the business and a few others know about it.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2013, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

They better keep the design from webOS 2/3. I saw the emulator, and I'm not a fan of the TV design
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2013, 12:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

I don't think WebOS has a bad rap among the masses because 99% of them dont know what it is.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre and boovish like this.
Old 12/30/2013, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Could be possible. If you asked the same question a year ago, it would've been hard to believe as LG's phone division wasn't getting too many accolades. But since there was Optimus and Nexus 4 phones, then this year with G2 and Nexus 5, they're finally getting a lot of buzz. They're making a name for themselves now the same way Samsung had been doing with their Galaxy phones. Hoping for the best...
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2013, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Good post. webos is in no way ruined, only people in the business and a few others know about it.
Absolutely.
Don't forget that Ford agreed to the same with Microsoft.
I hope and dream some LG terminal that allows running WebOS, but take it out with dual mode, which we want to use it.
s3rgei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2013, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
I assume webOS is powering the 105 inch screen mentioned in the article because one of the job postings on LGsvl.com mentions designing webOS for a 10 foot display.
The "10 Foot" is not in reference to the display size; It's distance from the display at which it still needs to be sharply viewable and usable as an interface.

It is about TV... and UI interaction at a distance: 10-foot user interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bluenote
Old 12/31/2013, 09:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
They better keep the design from webOS 2/3. I saw the emulator, and I'm not a fan of the TV design
can you post sam screen caps please?
Old 12/31/2013, 01:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm hoping they'll also offer a set top box or dongle. I already have a hdtv that is not ready to be replaced, but would buy a box on day 1.
disdigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: k4ever