webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > WSJ: LG "may" develop webOS phone
WSJ: LG "may" develop webOS phone
Like Tree20Likes

Old 01/04/2014, 05:43 AM   #41 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I think that what works on handheld things is not at all what works on giant displays that are feet away from you, and vice versa.
Only time will tell... let's hope for the best.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 10:04 PM   #42 (permalink)

WebOS Design Lead Takes Us Through LG’s New Smart TV Platform Ambitions | TechCrunch

Great expression when asked about phones....
ajmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 02:20 AM   #43 (permalink)

Sounds more like a new UI for Android LG Phones to me. Adopting the Card thing, not the OS...

Sorry, I am duely careful with my assumptions and hopes (burnt child is scared by fire)
Old 01/07/2014, 11:56 AM   #44 (permalink)

*can't pray hard enough for this to happen*
paisley99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 12:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmboy View Post
To be fair, that's probably the umpteenth time Vonshak (and everyone else involved) has been asked that question.

Good for them that they remain tight lipped. Show us when you're done.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2014, 10:39 AM   #46 (permalink)

If webos ports had something installable by the summer, let's say, when the LG tv's hit the US in good numbers, I bet people would install on mobile to play with the tv. But I am wary that LG will only support apps on ios or a android to fling content to th e tv, making the web's ports version a poor cousin.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 07:52 AM   #47 (permalink)

This news is on a Dutch news site now:

LG also wants to put WebOS on tablets and phones:

LG wil WebOS ook op tablets en telefoons zetten | nu.nl/tech | Het laatste nieuws het eerst op nu.nl

Use Google Translate for the English version.
gespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 08:15 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespy View Post
This news is on a Dutch news site now:

LG also wants to put WebOS on tablets and phones:

LG wil WebOS ook op tablets en telefoons zetten | nu.nl/tech | Het laatste nieuws het eerst op nu.nl

Use Google Translate for the English version.
That sounds like their own interpretation of "other products that connect to the Internet". LG makes a lot of stuff other than phones, even did an Internet connected fridge.

Certainly doesn't rule out a toaster:

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 08:38 AM   #49 (permalink)

My take is they need:

a) Web apps to take off. The web will want to do this because its cheaper to make one app for everyone; the apps for iPhone only took off because the hardware was gimped, yes?, so they couldn't run a regular browser.

Question: do we need the chips to be faster on mobile for this to take off? What is the tipping point?

Is google helping this somehow by making the chrome browser prominent on chrome books and also chrome cast?

b) they need a good design. the design team is showing they have some "chops"--everyone likes what they did with the tv. So they will get support from LG and resources but they still have to find the right design that people will like. Im hearing the firefox phone is clunky (has anyone seen it and can you confirm?) so there still seems to be a place for a more open system.
Old 01/09/2014, 11:24 AM   #50 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
b) they need a good design. the design team is showing they have some "chops"--everyone likes what they did with the tv. So they will get support from LG and resources but they still have to find the right design that people will like. Im hearing the firefox phone is clunky (has anyone seen it and can you confirm?) so there still seems to be a place for a more open system.

Here's a repost of something I put up on the Mobile Nations Forum:

Quote:
I loaded multirom onto my Nexus 4 and created a boot partition that allowed triple booting: Google Factory 4.3, Ubuntu Touch (Trusty build) and Firefox OS. I used FFOS for a week as my daily driver...

Did I like it? No.

What is my reaction? It's a feature phone OS and not a true smart phone OS. It lacks basic, expected functionality of a smart platform OS. It's iOS 3 or 4 in terms of UI; a home button and a grid of icons on the screen. Bland, simple, rudimentary app switching in place of multitasking, notifications are sub-par. Heavily invested in the Google-sphere or iTunes walled garden? You'll be disappointed at the lack of full integration and I could not see where Mozilla offers their own alternatives that would function as powerfully and seamlessly (email client, contacts, calendar, search, IM, etc., etc.).

So many of the "apps" are just place holders leading to a web-app. Without a data connection you loose a lot of what smart devices are for. They should be able to stand alone, to some degree, and not be entirely dependent on the cloud. (A major reason I'm not looking to adopt Chromebook.) There is no built in calculator app!!! Weather is a web-app, and thus can provide no desktop display to update you at a glance.

In short, I found it bland and unappealing, under powered and less than dynamic.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Thanked By: bluenote
Old 01/09/2014, 06:50 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
That sounds like their own interpretation of "other products that connect to the Internet". LG makes a lot of stuff other than phones, even did an Internet connected fridge.

Certainly doesn't rule out a toaster:

Click to view quoted image
Here is how google translated for me (see below) Since the first post in this thread quotes WSJ whose source also said "May" include phones and we have the designers say they are thinking about it, I am now wondering whether this could be a year and a half out rather than 2 plus years. I wonder also if the buy of Motorola is forcing this change as perhaps they fear google will make parts of android proprietary and exclusive to M, would that be the fear? If so the phone timetable would be faster.

"LG plans besides TVs, other devices such as smartphones and tablets can be equipped with operating system WebOS.
That tells Samuel Chang, at LG responsible for WebOS and smart TVs, in an interview with Nutech.
We want WebOS like to bring other products," says Chang. "All devices that connect to the Internet are one possible option."
Old 01/15/2014, 01:56 AM   #52 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Only time will tell... let's hope for the best.

I personally believe that the tv interface would be terrible on a handheld, and I'm positive that the standard webos interface on a tv is terrible. It would surprise me if there were a way to put together two completely different things like that in the same fashion, see also windows 8.

I suspect as itai said in one of the interviews, that the user experience for all different devices is something that really takes time to consider, design, develop and see what works. I think perhaps duarte was especially gifted in having some intuition towards what works well, but I'm not entirely convinced that his way was or is the best way. I feel like cards on android, being vertical, are a better use of the available space in a phones normal orientation, compared to webos which pretty much came on all damn near square displays. Horizontal orientation is great for a tv though. Maybe there is something better still, though. And I think all that is well worth putting a lot of time into. There's miles to go in innovation still, and who will be the visionary? I've gotta thank Matthias for this great phone interface that we now basically use on all mobile platforms, but someone is going to soon invent something better. And no, I'm not saying that with any knowledge that it have over anyone else, just saying that it is inevitable that someone comes up with a better interface for handhelds. We've made immense strides in TV, there must be more to go though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/15/2014, 11:22 AM   #53 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'd have to agree with the above that the UI needs to be reformatted for screen size and use. Form follows function, after all, and a phone is not a TV no matter how much media you consume on it.

If LG takes their time and fine tunes the OS for each product, that can only help it succeed..

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 01/15/2014, 09:59 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
My take is they need:

a) Web apps to take off. The web will want to do this because its cheaper to make one app for everyone; the apps for iPhone only took off because the hardware was gimped, yes?, so they couldn't run a regular browser.
I don't understand this statement. At introduction, the iPhone had the best mobile browser, period. It was intended that web apps would be primary but devs and users WANTED apps...
jtfolden is offline   Reply With Quote