webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > WSJ: LG "may" develop webOS phone
WSJ: LG "may" develop webOS phone
Like Tree20Likes

Old 12/31/2013, 06:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
News Contributor

I was wondering if some of you folks lives in Las Vegas. I don`t see Derek around at all. Is he still working for Mobile Nations???

I sent him an e-mail to the webosnation Inbox offering to volunteer to write about these LG webOS matters, but not answer at all ????? He usually answered before emails. That is why I am concerned about his job.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2013, 09:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
I was wondering if some of you folks lives in Las Vegas. I don`t see Derek around at all. Is he still working for Mobile Nations???

I sent him an e-mail to the webosnation Inbox offering to volunteer to write about these LG webOS matters, but not answer at all ????? He usually answered before emails. That is why I am concerned about his job.
Dude's in Vegas. Emails are priority 0.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by creepycat likes this.
Old 12/31/2013, 09:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

I'm sure the PivotCE people would would accept your input.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/31/2013, 10:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
johncc is stirring up trouble! Don't send us the New Year's drunks! ;-)

But akitayo, if you're serious about your resolution, we'll take you - especially if you're going to CES!
Old 12/31/2013, 10:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
johncc is stirring up trouble! Don't send us the New Year's drunks! ;-)

But akitayo, if you're serious about your resolution, we'll take you - especially if you're going to CES!
Thanks guys for your support, but sadly I am not even near to Las Vegas
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2014, 11:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
I assume webOS is powering the 105 inch screen mentioned in the article because one of the job postings on LGsvl.com mentions designing webOS for a 10 foot display.
As someone else mentioned, that's the UI definition "must be usable from 10 feet away".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Well it is plausible. LG's been known to do some weird things, they have that weird 4:3 phone and they stood by QWERTY phones (look up LG Optimus F3Q). So we've got that going for us... which is nice.
I think that the only qwerty phones left in the Android world are Sprint specific, and I think that the last few people at Sprint demanding keyboard phones are no longer there, so I think we're going to see the keyboard phones completely disappear off the face of the planet over the next couple years. I could be wrong on that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
They better keep the design from webOS 2/3. I saw the emulator, and I'm not a fan of the TV design
Imagine if you took a TouchPad, inflated it to 30 inches plus, and then tried to control that interface using a standard TV remote from 10 feet away. You'd hate it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2014, 12:56 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Someone get Derek back here to report on this:

From todays WSJ:

"LG now plans to showcase an Internet-connected television model powered by webOS in January at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, a person familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal.

He didn’t elaborate on the features of the operating system, but said it would retain the “cards” system, or a stack of pop-ups that allows users to navigate multiple applications, originally used in the webOS mobile devices launched by H-P.

The person didn’t comment on the company’s plans to market the webOS-powered TVs but said the operating system may be developed and later adopted for LG’s other consumer electronics, including smartphones.

LG, the world’s second-largest TV market after Samsung Electronics Co., has been busy churning out new premium TV models this year to spark interest in a segment that accounts for nearly 40% of its revenue. The company is also set to showcase a whopping 105-inch curved-screen television at CES, with a similar model expected from Samsung..."

LG to Soon Unveil webOS-Powered TV - Digits - WSJ
panty-wetter for sure! I am so excited for the prospect of new hardware since I still have the original Sprint Pre and its about to turn to dust in my hands from all the wear and tear

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
creepycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 01/01/2014, 04:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Well LG is certainly laying low on this product,

The only links I can find so far are the WSJ and the Korean version of CNET (no new information).

The blog for the open webos site linked on the lgsvl website has not been updated since early last year and the enyo site similarly does not look that up to date.

I really hope LG has done a good job on the product and does a good job on the publicity with refreshed websites.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2014, 08:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I think that the only qwerty phones left in the Android world are Sprint specific, and I think that the last few people at Sprint demanding keyboard phones are no longer there, so I think we're going to see the keyboard phones completely disappear off the face of the planet over the next couple years. I could be wrong on that, though..
Actually it's on Verizon... the LG Enact, that just came out. Cousin model which will become the F3Q on T-Mobile.

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2014, 09:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Well LG is certainly laying low on this product,

The only links I can find so far are the WSJ and the Korean version of CNET (no new information).

The blog for the open webos site linked on the lgsvl website has not been updated since early last year and the enyo site similarly does not look that up to date.

I really hope LG has done a good job on the product and does a good job on the publicity with refreshed websites.
Yes, LG has kept a very low profile and the enyo/Lg open webos team has clearly been kept silent on their projects until recently. Wonder if Derek and Dieter will get to do a reunion interview at CES? Of course, they work at different blogs now. I'm looking forward to hearing something really positive.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2014, 09:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

LG is now tipping its hand on importance of webOS--see this thread

http://forums.webosnation.com/open-w...e-control.html
Old 01/02/2014, 02:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

A stranger at the MRT here in Manila once asked me about my HP Veer. He must have seen me swiping cards on this tiny gadget that he couldn't help asking what kind of phone it was.

I gave him a brief webOS intro and demo and explained that since HP already canceled it, we in the Philippines could only buy it online or with help from friends and relatives in the US.

Meanwhile, a co-worker got interested in buying one after seeing how small it is and how cool the Touchstone is.

Not many people were given the chance to experience webOS' Synergy, multitasking cards, Touchstone, gestures, and unobtrusive notifications. I hope it will be successful on smart TVs and that LG will give it another chance on smartphones.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
ederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/02/2014, 07:46 AM   #33 (permalink)

what is encouraging is that LG has given this a lot of thought and they have been working on home communication devices since at least 2006 meaning they have the resources to think long term unlike US companies which have to exist quarter to quarter.

If LG succeeds here, this could be big. And would it be the first time that a non-US software company has such a big stake in the living room?
Old 01/02/2014, 01:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Well LG is certainly laying low on this product,..

...The blog for the open webos site linked on the lgsvl website has not been updated since early last year and the enyo site similarly does not look that up to date. ..
Don't forget, LG purchased legacy code. I doubt a new smartphone from them which utilizes webOS would be from the open source fork.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2014, 01:33 PM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Nah, some people on here already convinced me earlier on that LG wouldn't build a webOS phone so I'm sticking to that because they were 200% sure about it.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sshaka likes this.
Old 01/02/2014, 02:38 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Nah, some people on here already convinced me earlier on that LG wouldn't build a webOS phone so I'm sticking to that because they were 200% sure about it.
Your people may have been right a year ago but LG's plans could have developed more as the tv took shape and all their other alliances started coming together (see my other thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/open-w...e-control.html).

Apparently there is an LG press conference on Monday so we shall hear more then.
Old 01/03/2014, 04:35 AM   #37 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

In any case: if the phones are gonna run a webOS that looks like or similiar to the webOS on that leaked TV image, I ain't buying any of their webOS phones. I don't mind a redesign, but I do mind a redesign that diminishes the whole concept webOS was built on.
(Eel would've been a terrific redesign by Palm though!)

Old 01/03/2014, 10:53 AM   #38 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
In any case: if the phones are gonna run a webOS that looks like or similiar to the webOS on that leaked TV image, I ain't buying any of their webOS phones. I don't mind a redesign, but I do mind a redesign that diminishes the whole concept webOS was built on.
To be fair, that leaked image is only one static shot. You've not seen the UI in action. And it's a "leaked image" which may or may not have any resemblance to reality.

Prejudge much???

Why not hold off until the LG presentation at CES and see what the real deal is???

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2014, 01:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I think that what works on handheld things is not at all what works on giant displays that are feet away from you, and vice versa.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2014, 05:43 AM   #40 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
To be fair, that leaked image is only one static shot. You've not seen the UI in action. And it's a "leaked image" which may or may not have any resemblance to reality.

Prejudge much???

Why not hold off until the LG presentation at CES and see what the real deal is???
Prejudge? Didn't you read? I said *IF* it's gonna look like. *IF*.