Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Regarding backup...until the feature is added directly into tasks@hand, shouldn't Pre Backup Utility be adequate in case a truck drives over your phone or there's some other catastrophic data loss?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligen View Post
    Regarding backup...until the feature is added directly into tasks@hand, shouldn't Pre Backup Utility be adequate in case a truck drives over your phone or there's some other catastrophic data loss?
    Yup, that should work just fine. If an update is released at that time, some errors may occur. Though you should still be able to reach the preferences screen in which you can press the 'update database' button.

At least, I think the error can occur, I'm not sure if the backup feature also backs up the application itself, if so, nothing can go wrong.

However, I assume that most users don't have/use the Pre Backup Utility.

For the time being, that's a very good hint.
    Another feature request: auto-update contexts based on location (e.g., via GPS and/or WiFi network name).

examples:

enable/disable location-based contexts - @home, @work, etc., upon arriving at location

enable certain contexts such as errands upon leaving a location associated with a context
  4.    #24  
    Another feature request: auto-update contexts based on location (e.g., via GPS and/or WiFi network name).

examples:

enable/disable location-based contexts - @home, @work, etc., upon arriving at location

enable certain contexts such as errands upon leaving a location associated with a context
    Yup, I have some screen designs laying around regarding that. Don't know when it will get in, but it should get in there at some point.

Watch out for the current update, it's been sent to Palm.

Thanks for the request.
  5.    #25  
    Feature showing the date of the latest state setting has been confirmed for version 1.2
  6.    #26  
    There was a feature request in the app catalog. Please realize that I can not respond to those feature requests, you should mail me directly or inform me through this topic.

Feature request from within the app catalog, post was:

Sebastian K (****) at 2011-05-11T21:07:57Z
    Great app! Simple logic, fast usability and the most flexible and straight implemented GTD tool I ever used. But one thing is missing: On paper lists I usually try to note the projected time needed to do the given step. This offers me the ability to calculate a possible date of completing the hole project or parts of it like the app called TimeProjection does. Integration of such a feature by an update would be great and the last of the five rating stars above.
    A general word of advice seems to be: if you normally write something down and you don't expect tasks@hand to do something smart with it, then you should just write it down in the description. That should help you out most of the time. Still, it's good to request the features if you would like them to appear in tasks@hand sometime soon.

I'm currently looking at the TouchPad as that's coming out soon. The feature request has been noted here and I'll see if there's some way in which I can do something smart with times. I guess there must be something smart we can do with respect to times but I don't see it in front of me at this time. If some kind of interface jumps to mind which manages times, then it'll get in. Don't expect a feature like this to be here soon, as there are more interesting/innovative features waiting for my attention.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Great app!!! I've only been using it for 2 or 3 days but I can already sense my brain is clearer and I've definitely been more productive. I was turned on to GTD from the app review on here, went and bought the book to decide if these methods would be useful (I'd been thinking alot about my personal productivity). Read the book and decided to give this app a go. Best $4.00 I've ever spent!!!! Thank you!

One feature suggestion I'd have would be to add "type to search" functionality to the "All Tasks/Projects" view - from the More Views menu.

I often need to add something to a project and when you have a large number of projects active it's tedious to scroll to find the one your looking for. "type to search" is available in the "select Parent Task" menu, would be nice in other areas as well.

Thanks - any word on when 2.0 will be available?
    treo600 - 650 - 755p - Palm Pre!!!!
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by saxyjaz View Post
    Great app!!! I've only been using it for 2 or 3 days but I can already sense my brain is clearer and I've definitely been more productive. I was turned on to GTD from the app review on here, went and bought the book to decide if these methods would be useful (I'd been thinking alot about my personal productivity). Read the book and decided to give this app a go. Best $4.00 I've ever spent!!!! Thank you!
    Thanks!

One feature suggestion I'd have would be to add "type to search" functionality to the "All Tasks/Projects" view - from the More Views menu.

I often need to add something to a project and when you have a large number of projects active it's tedious to scroll to find the one your looking for. "type to search" is available in the "select Parent Task" menu, would be nice in other areas as well.
    Some basic support for this is planned in 1.2, but it may well be that it'll only get in in 1.3 or later.

Thanks - any word on when 2.0 will be available?
    tasks@hand 1.2 should be out to HP/Palm in two weeks or so (no hard deadline though). I honestly don't know when tasks@hand 2.0 will come out.
  9.    #29  
    tasks@hand 1.3 should be sent out to HP/Palm by Monday. Expect it in on your phones in the next week.

confirmed features are:
    - filter support: just type to filter the content in any screen
    - review: screen for weekly and monthly review
    - state change date: the date at which you updated the state of the task last time
    Hello.

I have just read most of Allen's book and am in the process of re-reading it. I will probably try to implement most of the suggestions, but will also have my own creative stamp on the system. One thing I am needing is a way to repeat tasks in a given project. A simple way to do this would be to be able to "reset" or "uncheck" a particular task and all of its subtasks or children. In other words, if I reset a "closed" active parent task as "active," then all of it's children should automatically become "active" again...hence, repeating tasks. The reason I need this is because I do have a daily list (routine) that I utilize and it is too cumbersome to reset each individual tasks to "active." Would you be willing to add this suggested feature? Or, is there a way to do this currently that I am missing?

Thanks, Phil
  11.    #31  
    @other users: If you have a similar feature request, please describe your practical use-case in detail. I don't need this myself, making the fit a bit harder. For a final solution, this should be solved together with pastorwalters's request.

Quote Originally Posted by mucrocge View Post
    Hello.

I have just read most of Allen's book and am in the process of re-reading it. I will probably try to implement most of the suggestions, but will also have my own creative stamp on the system. One thing I am needing is a way to repeat tasks in a given project. A simple way to do this would be to be able to "reset" or "uncheck" a particular task and all of its subtasks or children. In other words, if I reset a "closed" active parent task as "active," then all of it's children should automatically become "active" again...hence, repeating tasks. The reason I need this is because I do have a daily list (routine) that I utilize and it is too cumbersome to reset each individual tasks to "active." Would you be willing to add this suggested feature? Or, is there a way to do this currently that I am missing?

Thanks, Phil

Hello Phil,

You haven't missed anything, tasks@hand currently doesn't support this. There's been some thought regarding triggers for tasks. There's nothing definite so far, so I can't give you an expected release date for a supporting feature. Would you mind drafting out what you need to accomplish exactly so I can use it as a use-case? This may be personal, so feel free to throw it in an email.

If something usable comes to me, I might hack it in somewhere somehow to help you with your immediate problem so far.

Thanks for the request!
  12.    #32  
    I was late polishing up tasks@hand version 1.2.0 but HP/Palm did a great job to get the release out to you guys sooner than expected. It should be available on your smartphone right now.

New stuff:
    • Backup system using emails (see preferences)
    • View for Weekly and Monthly review (see More, check both Weekly and Monthly for monthly review)
    • Screen rotation support (swipe support is consistent even when the phone is turned upside-down, which gives you more screen real estate
    • Type to filter in roughly any view (views with many tasks also support searching within the description)
    • Displaying of last state update for tasks (check edit task)
    • Slightly faster opening of tasks (in QuickView and Task Details)
    • Manual page describing the changes in each release (same contents as this list)
  13.    #33  
    Due to too much other work, the development and releases of tasks@hand have been postponed by roughly two months. Feature requests are still welcome.
    Hello!

I love this app. I'm waiting patiently for updates before I decide to switch over permanently to Outline Tracker. The following updates would make up my mind:

1. Please, please, please include background color options. Grey is awfully depressing for us visual types Outline Tracker actually highlights overdue, due today, and tasks assigned to other people in different colors. There's a thought.

2. Absolutely must be able to 2-way sync w/ a desktop or cloud program. I'm a Google fan, but also use Basecamp and Toodledo.

3. Repeating tasks- lax time & specific days. (another user mentioned this- Phil I think?) I also have daily/weekly/monthly items with subtasks that I need to check & uncheck at will. Currently, I'm using jChecklist and putting everything in manually just to see my daily list (Today's Tasks has a similar idea)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Any word on the ETA for the next update? Thanks
  15.    #35  
    I'm saddened to find myself in a place in which I personally do not believe that WebOS will be the most productive platform for the users it serves. I don't quite know what the best future platform will be, nor who will bring it and in which form. Under pressure which resulted from the latest moves HP made, some information regarding the formerly coming devices and features has been leaked. It has confirmed my fears that the talented Palm wizkids, whom made WebOS as great as it currently is, can't put their stamps on WebOS anymore. Some hints had been given to that in the design and features of Enyo, available since WebOS 2.x. As such I find the odds that the WebOS experience will deteriorate into nothing more than the Apple competitor marketing wants it to be, rather high. I do not believe that HP has the people whom understand mobile productivity in leading places. But in all counts, I'll be cheering if I turn out to be wrong. Development on WebOS has had little financial gain. I'm jumping ship because I A) believe future devices will be marketing-driven (vs efficiency driven) and B) I'm not confident that such devices will ever exist.

To all friends I made through WebOS, I guess this is a goodbye of some sort. I was hoping that this would be the time where innovation would thrive and marketing would get the word out there, guess I was wrong. If you are a WebOS dev and want to look at the code-base and possibly extend it, feel free to throw me a message.

@honeybee: I'm so damn sure that I wrote a reply to your message! I don't know where it went. At the current time it's sad that much of what you ask would've been in the next coming release. I really can't justify spending time on this :-(
    madnificent, sorry to hear you'll be moving on from webOS. If you're hoping to find someone to pick up where you left off, I've been in the dev program since probably September or October of last year and would be willing to give it a shot.
    gharkay likes this.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Hello madnificent,

I purchased your app when it first came out, but it took me until now to start using it. I am someone who needs a lot of help with time management, and I think Tasks@Hand is helping me with that. I really like the minimalist interface that doesn't distract me from my actual tasks.

I see a tremendous amount of back and forth above this post with some great ideas for the app, but I'd like to add one question and one small request to what I think is already a wonderful productivity tool.

1) Are you still developing this app after the recent events with HP dumping webOS hardware manufacturing? Please say yes!

2) I LOVE the feature that allows me to see my next actions for each context on the QuickView screen. However, every time I got to a different scene and then come back all of my contexts are minimized again. Would it be possible to allow them to remain expanded until manually minimized? That would save me the trouble of having to re-expand them every time I add a task.

And here's a bigger request, mostly just echoing some comments above: an outline view for each project/parent task would be very helpful! It's not something I would want to see all the time because it would be very distracted and defeat the purpose of this app, but it would be nice to be able to see it occasionally.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
  18.    #38  
    Sadly, I don't expect to further develop tasks@hand in the near future. This post announced that.
    magnificent, have you found anyone to pick up work on tasks@hand? If not, I'd be more than happy to try to pick up where you left off. If there are some features that are partially completed, I could try to finish those first, then work on a few of the other feature requests in this thread.

I just know I've really liked using tasks@hand, and it would be a shame to see it fade away when there's so much potential waiting to be unlocked.

Another possibility would be to donate it to the webOS Internals team if anyone over there is interested in enhancing it.
  20.    #40  
    magnificent, have you found anyone to pick up work on tasks@hand? If not, I'd be more than happy to try to pick up where you left off. If there are some features that are partially completed, I could try to finish those first, then work on a few of the other feature requests in this thread.

I just know I've really liked using tasks@hand, and it would be a shame to see it fade away when there's so much potential waiting to be unlocked.

Another possibility would be to donate it to the webOS Internals team if anyone over there is interested in enhancing it.
    Check the PM I sent you after your previous message. If it's not there, just mail me :-) my address is in the app itself.

My main hesitation towards open sourcing it, is that it was never written with the idea that other coders might read/extend the code. Therefore the code relies on conventions, rather than explicit documentation. As such, it doesn't seem like a good basis for extension by others, but you're free to take a peek and give me your insights. I obviously need to send you the uncompressed code for that.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12