webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  juxtaflux > Hack Tracks feedback thread
Hack Tracks feedback thread

Old 02/27/2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

I started this thread to give people a place to post feedback about Hack Tracks (once I get the alpha version of the app released. It is close!). To start, here's a short list of the features I'm currently considering adding:
  • per-channel volume control
  • per-channel stereo pan control
  • per-channel control of stereo panning
  • ability to sequence patterns together to create an entire song (think of something like Fruity Loops)
  • support for more channels, more patterns
  • export audio to wav file
  • add a dedicated screen with larger buttons used just for toggling patterns on/off in Live Mode (think of something like the Novation LaunchPad)
  • simple effects (multi-tap delays, etc)
  • play samples at different pitches
  • include more built in samples with app

So, let me know what you think!
- AudioScape: play drums, piano, guitar and sound effects
- Twitter: @juxtaflux Web: http://www.juxtaflux.com
SirGnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2012, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

ok I just tried it out briefly and nice work so far. Some ideas to toss around:

Icons for the instruments being used. The left side is a little cluttered. Just a simple picture of a bass drum, toms, cymbals etc would be sufficient. The play button, while I understand what it is, it's a little archaic.

A seperate pane for a complete list of what instruments are available. I'm sure after some use I'll figure it out, but it would be nice just to see everything available on one page.

I was checking out the bass sounds, and it doesn't seem like you have a full 12 step octave range, that should be a given. All half steps are a must.

There should also be some sort of configuration for accent notes, for example say 16 beats of hi-hats, looped, and I want to emphasize every 4th note.

Also triplets should be added in there as well.

Glad to see that it does in fact work through my amp, I know you were a bit confused when I mentioned it earlier. It doesn't make sense to me that this app, and Remix, both play through my amp, but say a YouTube video doesn't. ......it doesn't really matter to me anyway, not like I'm watching YouTube through my amp, it was just something I noticed.

5 minute testing session?.....10 minutes at least please

Aside from that looks good, maybe add customization of the color scheme...I'll play around with it some more later, thanks again!

Couple of other things I just thought of....

Press and hold to adjust Shuffle/BPM...not liking having to button mash to change either setting. Even the mojo pop-up window to scroll through the numbers would be ok with me.

Split the grid squares to halfsize

Some delays, tape echo, tape sweep etc.
Varying compression
Flangers/phasers...

That should keep you busy enough for awhile

Last edited by sledge007; 02/29/2012 at 11:13 AM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2012, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. And, yeah, this would all keep me busy for awhile! But, thats what I'm after... feedback. I want to get a feel of what *desperately* needs to be fixed/added before doing an initial release to the official App Catalog. Then I'll start adding other features.

Ok, to respond to your feedback....

I completely agree that the instrument selection part of the app needs work. It is cluttered and really hard to see what is going on. The icon idea is interesting. I am brainstorming how to make this better. I am thinking about a full screen sample picker... I've gotta give this one more thought...

Yup, the play button is lame. I'm planning on replacing this with a decent play/stop icon.

I really only included a partial set of drum/bass samples for this first release. Regarding bass samples (or any "pitched" samples), it will require 12 samples to cover one chromatic octave. Instead of having tons of samples, I'd like to add a feature that will give you the ability to transpose any sample up or down in pitch. I'm not gonna turn this app into a synthesizer, but I'll either have a few bass instruments with a full chromatic scale, or will have the ability to pitch-shift samples.

Regarding accented notes, I'm planning on a feature that lets you set the volume for each note. So, you can do what ever accents you want. To start with, I'll probably just implement the ability to set the volume of each channel.

Hmm... I agree, triplets would be nice, but it would be tricky to wedge triplets into a grid-based drum machine.

I lengthened the testing session to 10 minutes. This will go out with the next update.

There are no short term plans to let people tweak the color scheme (though, this *is* possible with the current version of the app if you don't mind tweaking config files on the TP). I consider the current visuals of Hack Tracks to be somewhat temporary. I hope to redo them. But, we'll see.

I've got "drag control" for Shuffle and BPM on my list. Repeatedly tapping them is annoying to me, too.

Hmm... By "halfsize", you mean showing 32 notes horizontally to get 8 beats per pattern... I'd either have to make the cells really small (concerned they'd be difficult to tap accurately) or implement some kind of scrolling. I'm thinking about this one. I may run a test to see how hard it would be to have cells this small (I see the iPad app you mentioned has a 9x32 grid view. I found this screenshot: http://www.idesignsound.com/images/m...ary/dm1v22.jpg)

I would *love* to do some effects like delays/phasers. But, they would take some time and I want to get some other things cleaned up before starting on this. But, yeah. These are definitely on my list.

Keep the ideas coming...
Old 03/27/2012, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

US here. followed your link to the app from the other thread. It downloaded fine, but would not launch. I tried luna restart also.
Old 03/27/2012, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I submitted a new version to the App Catalog (0.1.5) which should fix the problems where the app was not launching (only present in 0.1.4). So, you can get the update either from the Software Manager app, or visit the link in the other thread from your TouchPad. Please let me know if this fixes your issue. Thanks for your patience!
Old 03/27/2012, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I tried updating to 0.1.5 from the link and from the software manager. No luck, It must not be available yet. I'll try again tomorrow and let you know.

Updated this morning fine. Loads fine. I didn't notice any demo song in it. Will have more time this pm to try it out.

Last edited by woosh; 03/28/2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: software update update
woosh#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2012, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
I didn't notice any demo song in it.
When you first launch the app, you should see the button in the top left with the label "Demo Song". There should also be some cells lit up on the grid. Do you see this? If not, could you email me a screenshot (might have to take a photo with a phone or something as webOS screenshot's feature doesn't work well with PDK apps).
Old 03/29/2012, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Looking forward to concatenation (and maybe repeating) of patterns.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2012, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Nice update, much easier to light up the grid, as well as adjusting the tempo. Couple more things that would be good are a Solo and Mute switch on each channel.
Old 03/29/2012, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Nice update, much easier to light up the grid, as well as adjusting the tempo. Couple more things that would be good are a Solo and Mute switch on each channel.
Thanks! Solo and mute switchs are good ideas. I'll add them to my list.
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 04/10/2012, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Per channel volume control has been added. Also added mute toggles to each channel. Tap-and-hold on mute toggle button to solo that track. Update should hit the catalog shortly. Thanks for the feedback, sledge.

Tags
drum, music

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0