Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    I've been working on a new PDK app for 'bout 4 months now. It's for the TouchPad and coming along quite well. I'm really enjoying hacking on it. Recently, I ran across an old screenshot I had taken of the app back when it was just a wee lil' prototype... only a few days old. So cute when they are young... They grow up so fast...

I thought it would be fun to post the image. Anyone want to guess what kind of app this prototype is growing up to be?

Attached Images Attached Images
    juxtaflux
    - Hack Tracks: pattern based drum sequencer (work in progress)
    - Power Lines: 2-4 player head-to-head multiplayer game
    - AudioScape: play drums, piano, guitar and sound effects
    - Twitter: @juxtaflux Web: http://www.juxtaflux.com
    I'm guessing a 'break-out' type of game? But is it an app or game?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm guessing a 'break-out' type of game? But is it an app or game?
    It's an app, not a game.

And, do I gather from your "Location" that you are a Cheesehead stuck in Chi-town? Sounds familiar...
    juxtaflux
    As an app... that screenshot has me stumped. Yup, just another one of the thousands of cheeseheads that ended up south of the border somehow.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    an icon editor?
    I'm going to say drum machine/beatbox/sequencer....something to that effect.

I've messed around with them from time to time, and as basic as that looks, that's what it looks like to me....and I don't mean basic in a bad way.....less is more
    Last edited by sledge007; 02/21/2012 at 11:18 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    My first thought (after my bad game guess) was the beginning layout for a keyboard app.
    Well, I see quarter, eighth and sixteenth beats in the top 3 rows...and a quick hit before it loops back to the first beat.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is though.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    W00sh likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Good guesses! I figured I'd phrase my answer in the form of a video. It is blurry... shaky... but it answers the question!
    juxtaflux
    I will buy this app. How close are you?
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I will buy this app. How close are you?
    Thanks! Much appreciated! And, to answer how close I am...

Bad news: The app is at least a month or two from an initial release to the App Catalog.

Good news: I am just days away from starting an open alpha period where a (slightly modified) version of the app will be publicly available for free. I'll be looking for feedback... bug reports... feature ideas... I developed my last app (Power Lines) in private and then released it when it was done. Great app, but it wasn't much fun to keep it hidden during development. With Hack Tracks, I want to be as open as possible during development. Why? It will make for a better app and it will be more fun.

I'll be posting more details to this forum and to my Twitter account over the next few days...
    juxtaflux
    Thanks, and I'm happy to help when it goes for testing (I'm good for a purchase regardless). Dating myself, but back in the PS2 days, there used to be an MTV layered track generator (name escapes me). I used to rattle off some great beats back then! Looking forward to trying this out on a mobile device.

Cheers!
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Following on twitter, and subscribed to this thread. As always down to help with the alpha testing.

Just downloaded AudioScape to my Pre3, look forward to playing with it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Looking forward to help test it out!

Some feature requests:

I'm wondering if I'll be able to set it up through my guitar amp's cd/aux input and hear it. Reason being, I can do the same with Music Remix and hear the songs just fine, but all system sounds, ie opening up launcher, and swiping cards away are completely silent....which I'm ok with.

I do have an SD card slot in the back of that amp, so the ability to save and export as either .mp3 and/or .wav files would be a good alternative if it won't just play through.

Not sure what maximums you have set for a track, but longer than 4 bars would be preferable.

Looks good so far, I like that you've added the ability for importable sounds, and added bass lines.

Maybe if you could separate the drum and bass tracks somehow, ie set up your drum line, play the drum line, and overdub bass tracks on top? Doesn't have to be too fancy, (maybe I'm making too much work for you )

Idea on that keep the drums as is, and just have a simple piano 12 keypad, C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B, in a seperate, slideable pane?
  15.    #15  
    Thanks all for the interest!

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'm wondering if I'll be able to set it up through my guitar amp's cd/aux input and hear it.
    Not quite sure what your asking with this one. Currently, audio goes out of the TouchPad's external speaker, or the headphone jack if something is plugged in it. To record audio for the teaser video, I used a stereo 1/8" to RCA converter plug to take the audio from the TouchPad headphone jack and feed it into my mixer which runs into my computer for recording. So, if you got the audio converter cables, you can plug your TouchPad into any other audio gear.

...I can do the same with Music Remix and hear the songs just fine, but all system sounds, ie opening up launcher, and swiping cards away are completely silent....which I'm ok with.
    Currently, when Hack Tracks is minimized, the audio playback stops. I could take a look at what would be required to keep audio playing in the background after the app is minimized. Though, this might not be possible as minimized apps aren't given much CPU time by the OS and thus it wouldn't have enough CPU to do the manual audio mixing required for the app.

I do have an SD card slot in the back of that amp, so the ability to save and export as either .mp3 and/or .wav files would be a good alternative if it won't just play through.
    I'm planning on adding a .wav export feature.

Not sure what maximums you have set for a track, but longer than 4 bars would be preferable.
    My audio engine can currently support an arbitrary number of beats per pattern. But, creating the graphical interface to be able to handle this flexibility would take some time (letting user choose # of bars, scrolling and/or smaller buttons, etc.). It is on my list, though...

Maybe if you could separate the drum and bass tracks somehow, ie set up your drum line, play the drum line, and overdub bass tracks on top? Doesn't have to be too fancy, (maybe I'm making too much work for you )
    Already done. The playback can operate in two modes "Single" and "Layered". "Single" simply plays one pattern at a time. "Layered" allows you to toggle multiple patterns on and off to layer them together. This is what I did for the demo song in the video. I had multiple patterns layered together for the drums, and two patterns for the bass (one for each "chord"). I just toggle the bass patterns on and off as the drum patterns kept playing. If you look at the screenshot at the bottom of this page, you can see multiple patterns (the buttons labeled 1-16) highlighted

Idea on that keep the drums as is, and just have a simple piano 12 keypad, C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B, in a seperate, slideable pane?
    Currently, my audio engine only supports one-shot samples. Eventually, I want to add the ability to change the pitch of samples (looking for some good resampling code). And, if I get really good, I'd look into also providing loop points and looping the samples. But, that is getting into synth territory.

I've got tons of features I'm thinking about, the tough thing is figuring out which ones to add first... Thus, that is why I want to get an alpha version out there for you all to go hands on with...

-Scott
    juxtaflux
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGnip View Post
    Thanks all for the interest!

Not quite sure what your asking with this one. Currently, audio goes out of the TouchPad's external speaker, or the headphone jack if something is plugged in it. To record audio for the teaser video, I used a stereo 1/8" to RCA converter plug to take the audio from the TouchPad headphone jack and feed it into my mixer which runs into my computer for recording. So, if you got the audio converter cables, you can plug your TouchPad into any other audio gear.

Currently, when Hack Tracks is minimized, the audio playback stops. I could take a look at what would be required to keep audio playing in the background after the app is minimized. Though, this might not be possible as minimized apps aren't given much CPU time by the OS and thus it wouldn't have enough CPU to do the manual audio mixing required for the app.

I'm planning on adding a .wav export feature.

My audio engine can currently support an arbitrary number of beats per pattern. But, creating the graphical interface to be able to handle this flexibility would take some time (letting user choose # of bars, scrolling and/or smaller buttons, etc.). It is on my list, though...

Already done. The playback can operate in two modes "Single" and "Layered". "Single" simply plays one pattern at a time. "Layered" allows you to toggle multiple patterns on and off to layer them together. This is what I did for the demo song in the video. I had multiple patterns layered together for the drums, and two patterns for the bass (one for each "chord"). I just toggle the bass patterns on and off as the drum patterns kept playing. If you look at the screenshot at the bottom of this page, you can see multiple patterns (the buttons labeled 1-16) highlighted

Currently, my audio engine only supports one-shot samples. Eventually, I want to add the ability to change the pitch of samples (looking for some good resampling code). And, if I get really good, I'd look into also providing loop points and looping the samples. But, that is getting into synth territory.

I've got tons of features I'm thinking about, the tough thing is figuring out which ones to add first... Thus, that is why I want to get an alpha version out there for you all to go hands on with...

-Scott
    Ok so I just retested this out again, on another app simply called Drum Machine. I have my TouchPad plugged into a Line 6 Spider Jam amp. Standard 3.5mm plug in. When I start that drum machine, I get no sound whatsoever. When I turn on Music Remix Player, and start a song, I hear it no problem. I unplug the cord, and I hear both just fine through the TouchPad speakers. The amp is capable of reproducing both .wav and .mp3 formats.

I do already have a bunch of drum presets already built in, but I think having another option would be great especially with the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGnip View Post
    Good guesses! I figured I'd phrase my answer in the form of a video. It is blurry... shaky... but it answers the question!
    Dude - you've got a customer right here once you get it done.