Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By owkenobi2
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By owkenobi2
  • 1 Post By bbito
  1.    #1  
    Hello. I've recently gotten a Veer that I'm trying to use. I've run into the expired certificates on several web pages, so I'm following the 'WebOS in 2014' guide to get things updated, and preware and theglobalsigncerts installed.

I've got WebOSQuickInstall 4.6 installed on my Mac, and my veer has dev mode turned on, but WebOS Quick Install keeps saying 'Novacom Login failed. Would you like to try again?'.

I had originally left the password blank, but thinking this was the issue, I set the dev mode password to 'password'. That hasn't helped.

I must be missing something simple. Any ideas?

Thank you!
  2.    #2  
    I'll update myself--seems like it was a hardware issue. The veer USB cable was coming apart slightly on the magnet end. Clamping it back together let me work

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Grabber5.0 and Mutoidi like this.
    Still available here & there on eBay if/when your connector totally falls apart!

Genuine Palm HP Veer Smartphone Magnetic USB Data Charge Cable | eBay

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  4.    #4  
    Well, I think my cable is giving up the ghost. It charges fine and also mounts in USB mode, but I just cannot connect with WebOSQuickinstall.

I did successfully once, installed preware, and was on my way. But now i'm trying to install OpenSSL, which requires the Preware alpha feeds, which requires removing preware. I've done that, got my Xterm running on the Veer..but now I can't REinstall preware. I've ordered a replacement cable, but it's coming from china in a few weeks.

Is there anywhere that the Preware command line installer is hosted now? The links in the instructions don't go anywhere. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by owkenobi2 View Post
    Is there anywhere that the Preware command line installer is hosted now? The links in the instructions don't go anywhere. Thanks.
    Well, I found a working URL (https://gitorious.org/webos-internal...rap.sh;hb=HEAD), but this script was never updated to point to preware.net, so even if you pull it down, it will be trying to wget preware from preware.org UNLESS you modify your /etc/hosts with:
    Code:
    140.211.169.161 ipkg.preware.org
    Or you would need to update the URLs on lines 110, 116 and 185 to preware.net...
    Last edited by bbito; 10/05/2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    If you'd like to be a guinea pig, I think the revised instructions at Application:Preware - WebOS Internals should work now.
    If you try it, please let us know how it went!
    Preemptive likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you for such a fast response.

I admit I have not figured out how to copy n paste in xterm. The download works but running the script fails with an "ipkg: invalid magic" error right after connecting to ww2.preware.org

8.    #8  
    I neglected to mention I get a "failed to download preware" error in the terminal and the magic error was in the log.
    Hope that's clear, let me know what I should try. Thanks again
    Thank you for such a fast response.

I admit I have not figured out how to copy n paste in xterm. The download works but running the script fails with an "ipkg: invalid magic" error right after connecting to ww2.preware.org

Hmm, that is odd, I didn't see any other references to preware.org (there shouldn't be any now!) I'll need to take another look. Stand by...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    let me know what I should try
    Hey owkenobi2, could you give it another try? I missed a URL in the script, so you should just be able to rerun the commands in xterm.
    Preemptive likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Boom. That worked. Thank you very much!
    bbito likes this.
    Boom. That worked
    Awesome! Thanks for posting, I had completely forgotten there was an on-device command line method until your posts!
    Preemptive likes this.