Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey, guys!

I'm not exactly new here. I was a member of this community back during the At&t Pre Plus through HP acquisition days. Actually, I think I may have been the first person on YouTube to have done an unboxing of the At&t Pre3 4G.

Anyway, WebOS has always been my favorite operating system, and although I jumped ship to Windows Phone and then Android after HP ended support of their devices, and although I eventually gave up on smartphones altogether, I recently purchased an HP Veer with the intention of using it as a glorified text messaging phone.

I've been absent from everything related to mobile tech for the past couple of years, but from what I've read, it seems that I can't just sign in to the Veer with my old Palm Profile, correct? I have to bypass this somehow due to HP no longer supporting the service? If one of you can kindly walk me through that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm not looking to use any apps on it, nor will I have it connected to the internet. I just want to make calls, send texts, and have WebOS in my hands again. Again, any help is much appreciated. I am a noob, so please treat me as such.
    just search for 'bypass activation' with the remarks from pivotce. A lot of help is available!
  3.    #3  
    I will do that! Thank you for the reply!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by poehoes View Post
    just search for 'bypass activation' with the remarks from pivotce. A lot of help is available!
    Yeah, so... I just went into "Developer Mode". I can make/receive calls and send/receive texts, so I'm good. ...
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE

Should be easy on a Veer: Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

And the links below may be of use.
    Thank you, sir!
    Preemptive likes this.
    Start the veer without a sim. At the insert sim prompt, type vee on the keyboard. Delete the 911 in the call app and type #*devmode# then turn devmode on and restart the veer. It will be bypassed.
    Preemptive likes this.
    I love that people are still activating these devices.

I'm pretty certain there's a niche market for the Veer if someone wanted to doctor them, and get them set up so they'll accept a fresh SIM. Everyone that sees mine loves it.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    Start the veer without a sim. At the insert sim prompt, type vee on the keyboard. Delete the 911 in the call app and type #*devmode# then turn devmode on and restart the veer. It will be bypassed.
    That's almost exactly what I did, except I started the Veer WITH a SIM card and I didn't type "vee". How does doing those two things change the end result?
    Last edited by Stronkbad; 04/09/2016 at 10:55 AM.
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I love that people are still activating these devices.

I'm pretty certain there's a niche market for the Veer if someone wanted to doctor them, and get them set up so they'll accept a fresh SIM. Everyone that sees mine loves it.
    I agree! Even today, WebOS feels ahead of it's time, and in a world of giant slates for phones, ANY WebOS device is a head-turner, more so the Veer.

Same here! I've only had it since Wednesday, and after showing off WebOS, the former factor, and the charging via Touchstone, I've already gotten someone to say that they want one and they can't understand how something “like that” wasn't a success, but tanked. We all know the story, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stronkbad View Post
    That's almost exactly what I did, except I started the Veer WITH a SIM card and I didn't type "vee". How does doing those to things change the end result?

It doesn't change the end result at all. It's just a way to enable dev mode to bypass profile setup.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It doesn't change the end result at all. It's just a way to enable dev mode to bypass profile setup.
    Okay, thank you.
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Is the email application not usable when in “Developer Mode”? I've tried logging in and it keeps giving me some kind of error message...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stronkbad View Post
    Is the email application not usable when in “Developer Mode”? I've tried logging in and it keeps giving me some kind of error message...
    It's available in developer mode. It's most likely that you are trying to access your mail via an acount, and that no longer works. You'll have to manually set them up as imap accounts for most email these days. Also, I can't get most of them to accept that unless i update the SSL on my phone. Once I update the SSL and manually set them up as imap, i am able to access my email on yahoo and gmail.
    Now that you're in dev mode, forget about it. It just stays that way. A level up on permissions, sort of.

This site has solutions for updating SSL, as well as a few other necessary things to keep up with today's technology standards, since HP is no longer. Get yourself caught up. Once you overcome the protocol conflicts, mail, chat, messaging, calendar, all still work well.

With the forwarding thing available to me via Sprint and Google voice, my Veer is literally a tiny clone of my Pre2. I carry it on weekend nights just for the conversation piece it is. "I call him, Mini-Pre." (Say it like Dr. Evil)

Enjoy it!!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Now that you're in dev mode, forget about it. It just stays that way. A level up on permissions, sort of.

This site has solutions for updating SSL, as well as a few other necessary things to keep up with today's technology standards, since HP is no longer. Get yourself caught up. Once you overcome the protocol conflicts, mail, chat, messaging, calendar, all still work well.

With the forwarding thing available to me via Sprint and Google voice, my Veer is literally a tiny clone of my Pre2. I carry it on weekend nights just for the conversation piece it is. "I call him, Mini-Pre." (Say it like Dr. Evil)

Enjoy it!!
    Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm enjoying it very much! Sometimes I just take it out to look at it!
    Hello, Im thinking in get a new hp veer, i had one few years ago and I love the size, have some questions, can I setup a gmail account and a exchange mail (owa)? theres any way to get whatsapp work? I want this phone for emergencies, and google and whatsapp are the key for me, and if you know any way to debloat the att stuff will be great, im going to use it in Ecuador. Hope you can help me thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Canar View Post
    Hello, Im thinking in get a new hp veer, i had one few years ago and I love the size, have some questions, can I setup a gmail account and a exchange mail (owa)? theres any way to get whatsapp work? I want this phone for emergencies, and google and whatsapp are the key for me, and if you know any way to debloat the att stuff will be great, im going to use it in Ecuador. Hope you can help me thanks
    Gmail: Yes
    Whatsapp: No
    Exchange: Not sure
    ATT: Don't know, but I would think you could just delete the apps. If not, it might be possible to delete those parts from a doctor.. maybe.

See the links below.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/20/2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Exchange mail (owa and outlook.com) works on my Pre3 still, so I suspect that it should work on the Veer. It still works on my HTC Tilt2 as well, so I think it's a standard that doesn't change much.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Speaking of whatsapp, today I've found a WA transport for XMPP. For unfamiliar, "transports" in Jabber world are gateways to other networks. They run on the server, so all client should benefit, and we have (somewhat flaky, though) XMPP support... https://github.com/stv0g/transwhat
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Nexus7@LuneOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast