Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I just got a veer (att) for cheap.
    Was able to get it into developer mode and get the apn settings straight.

    Great little device. I need to get at least navigation and email working to make it worth popping my SIM card in there.
    In terms of upgrading; I am running into a lot of dead links.
    I was hoping for a step by step on either updating web os apps or putting droid on it.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    There's no real working droid version for the Veer. If you need Skype you best update to 2.2.4, I can hook you up with some links, just DM me. HP took offline the profile server and app catalog earlier this yet. There are quite some devs who made their apps available to the community and there's plenty in the homebrew App Catalog called Preware. There are some updates on this forum for root certificates that expired and also a new OpenSSL version to deal properly with newer type of certificates used by Google and Yahoo mail for example. Most other things still work quite OK. Once you have those email should be fine. There's a great Google Maps app by 72ka in Preware as well.

    Edit:
    1. Make sure to enable the alpha/beta feeds first: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds
    2. root cert updater app
    3. OpenSSL-Updater - Fixing Certificate Issues

    That should get your email sorted and Preware working

    Then there's https://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide...n-2014-part-1/ and https://pivotce.com/2014/11/02/guide...n-2014-part-2/ which are useful as well for some insights. But above should already help you in getting started.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/22/2015 at 01:17 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    petbull likes this.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geffery View Post
    Hi,
    I just got a veer (att) for cheap.
    Was able to get it into developer mode and get the apn settings straight.

    Great little device. I need to get at least navigation and email working to make it worth popping my SIM card in there.
    In terms of upgrading; I am running into a lot of dead links.
    I was hoping for a step by step on either updating web os apps or putting droid on it.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks!
    See the service pack link below. (and OpenSSL-Updater - Fixing Certificate Issues )

    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015
    petbull likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the help Herrie and Preemptive!

    So far I've got to;
    -WebOSQuickinstaller
    -Preware installed
    -Xecutah and xterm installed ( can't open a terminal, just tips page)

    I cant find novaterm either, so Im a little stuck..

    Java update said it doesnt like Win XP but it seems to have worked.

    How do I open a terminal?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geffery View Post
    Thanks for the help Herrie and Preemptive!

    So far I've got to;
    -WebOSQuickinstaller
    -Preware installed
    -Xecutah and xterm installed ( can't open a terminal, just tips page)

    I cant find novaterm either, so Im a little stuck..

    Java update said it doesnt like Win XP but it seems to have worked.

    How do I open a terminal?
    You will need Xecutah, Xterm and XServer all installed in order to open a terminal.
    Reboot.
    Xecutah then gives you the option to 'Start XTerm' ~ give it a moment or two to activate.

    Alteratively, if you have WOSQI and Novacom drivers correctly installed, you can then open a terminal on your PC in WOSQI-->Tools-->Linux Commandline.

    Yeah.. I still run good old XP too, but providing you don't UNinstall previous versions of Java, it still rocks along just fine with our executable .jar files etc.

    Enjoy the Veer.. a unique & brilliant piece of pocket-sized hardware!

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/26/2015 at 12:30 PM.

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Preemptive likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by geffery View Post
    Thanks for the help Herrie and Preemptive!

    So far I've got to;
    -WebOSQuickinstaller
    -Preware installed
    -Xecutah and xterm installed ( can't open a terminal, just tips page)

    I cant find novaterm either, so Im a little stuck..

    Java update said it doesnt like Win XP but it seems to have worked.

    How do I open a terminal?
    1. If you have wosqi installed, confirm its v.4.6.0 I'm pretty sure it's the latest and required.
    2. If WOSQI is installed correctly, the novacom drivers should be on your computer.
    3. If you have Preware installed, it sounds like you have the above right. Confirm you have the latest, v.1.9.14
    4. Almost everything you need installs from preware. You can get a homebrew GOOGLE maps there as the native navi is obsolete. It gives text navigation. You can also download Navit which does voice turn by turn.
    5. Email may require additional steps and software installed depending on your service provider. You'll have to read up. But most work well through the web browser until you get the email client connections ironed out.

    Welcome to the forum, enjoy your webOS device!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks!

    I'm running current versions of WOSQI and Preware. I have the Xecutah and Xterm package installed. Xterm wont open up from Xecutah though, it hangs up on launch.
    Haven't got gmail to work on safari, that hangs up too.
    Looking foreward to figure out how to use Navit.

    I got the H.P. Veer without researching WebOS. I am pleasantly surprised that it's a Linux based OS. I'm really liking Preware. The ironing out will take a bit longer though.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by geffery View Post
    Thanks!

    I have the Xecutah and Xterm package installed. Xterm wont open up from Xecutah though, it hangs up on launch.
    You will need Xecutah, Xterm and *XServer all installed in order to open a terminal.

    There may be other dependencies, I forget which, but if you uninstall/reinstall all three X's via WOSQI, any dependencies should automatically install for you.


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by geffery View Post
    I got the H.P. Veer without researching WebOS. I am pleasantly surprised that it's a Linux based OS. I'm really liking Preware. The ironing out will take a bit longer though.
    Some background reading, if you are interested:

    The Palm Timeline | webOS Nation
    Pre to postmortem: the inside story of the death of Palm and webOS | The Verge
    Team behind webOS releases its abandoned interface redesign to the community | The Verge
  10. #10  
    Keep in mind you don't need the X apps if you use the terminal window available through wosqi. I prefer the wosqi window myself.

    There is definitely additional steps to enable gmail. I've removed the 2 layer authentication and switched basic settings to html view only. I did that on PC first, and now it works fine in webOS browser. But I've also read that it will work with 2 layer auth enabled. Search that to confirm.

    The email app has a few fixes to enable gmail, and there are extensive threads. Latest fix is to install root cert updater and openssl updater, both through Preware, after enabling the alpha feeds. There are very specific steps, but it does work so just get up to speed by reading here.

    Veer is great little device.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  11. #11  
    Also wTerm can be used instead of XTerm....

    Version I have installed is from alpha feed

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  12.    #12  
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Super simple in wosqi. I've run into the issue of not finding a correct config for browser certificate issue. I've followed the steps although I cant find the information I found before about how to delete certificate before running a patch.

    Strangely neither xterm or wterm worked before. I'm thinking that i didn't have a feed on possibly.
  13.    #13  
    I have done some tweaks and the Veer is running a lot faster.
    I found the certificate manager in 'device info' but it's empty.
    The time and date were terribly off so I set them and turned network time on hoping that would fix the certificate nagging but they're still popping up.
  14. #14  
    I don't know why webOS uses internet time. I don't know if this is common in all smart phones, but while you may have it switched off or be out of range of wifi, you are far more likely to have the phone radio on and my 'dumb' phone takes it's time from there and is never the wrong time. Of course, you can use 3G data for internet time, but why didn't Palm just use the simple, 'dumb' method?

    I use this:
    Clock Sync | webOS Nation

    Yes, it's still internet time, but it syncs when you press the button.
  15. #15  
    Palm does use GSM network time when available, I have noticed this many times.

    Still it is not always available

    When I lived in Serbia, one provider had it the other not. Even Vodafone does not provide it in some countries

    Also, having no sim card in there, but having a wifi connection, you need clock sync to set time from an internet NTP server,so webOS does not take internet time by itself, they do not seem to have a NTP client implemented

    Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by horzel; 12/05/2015 at 12:55 AM.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    Palm does use GSM network time when available, I have noticed this many times.

    Still it is not always available

    When I lived in Serbia, one provider had it the other not. Even Vodafone does not provide it in some countries

    Also, having no sim card in there, but having a wifi connection, you need clock sync to set time from an internet NTP server,so webOS does not take internet time by itself, they do not seem to have a NTP client implemented

    Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Maybe you are right, but if a dumb phone can get GSM network time very quickly, why not my smartphone? (same SIM)

    Apparently switching aeroplane mode off & on again is one method of getting the clock to update, but I don't find it reliable. Clock sync seems to be the fastest method to me. If the pre can use GSM time, maybe clocksynce can be adapted to to use that.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Maybe you are right, but if a dumb phone can get GSM network time very quickly, why not my smartphone? (same SIM)

    Apparently switching aeroplane mode off & on again is one method of getting the clock to update, but I don't find it reliable. Clock sync seems to be the fastest method to me. If the pre can use GSM time, maybe clocksynce can be adapted to to use that.
    So where can I get Clock Sync? The description page has a download section that says "Register or Log in to download, but both links get a "Page not found" error.
    I want it for my TP because sometimes its clock goes nuts, and my current solution is to reboot.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcatos View Post
    So where can I get Clock Sync? The description page has a download section that says "Register or Log in to download, but both links get a "Page not found" error.
    I want it for my TP because sometimes its clock goes nuts, and my current solution is to reboot.

    Yep.. closest I can get is this page: http://www.webosnation.com/app/download/clock-sync
    Time-out error too.
    Perhaps our 'Hosts' file needs updating?
    Anyone?

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcatos View Post
    So where can I get Clock Sync? The description page has a download section that says "Register or Log in to download, but both links get a "Page not found" error.
    I want it for my TP because sometimes its clock goes nuts, and my current solution is to reboot.
    The app gallery link is to the old app catalog. I doubt there's a way to make this work, but the author has given us carte blanche on this code, so I'll see what I can sort out. I did upload to pivotCE a while back, need to work out why it's not listed.

Similar Threads

  1. newb with a question...
    By silversoul in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11/26/2011, 09:59 AM
  2. newb question
    By iggy373 in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02/23/2010, 04:36 PM
  3. A question from the newb...
    By ecooke21@cox.net in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02/20/2008, 07:05 AM
  4. treo newb question
    By dendox in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01/28/2007, 07:31 PM
  5. Newb MP3 question
    By elrodvoss in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03/21/2005, 11:58 PM

Posting Permissions