Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By petbull
  1.    #1  
    After being missing for years, I found my Veer's power cable. Like it was Rip Van WebOS, I decided to wake it up.

I've read a number of threads re:updates, and the Veer now has the current versions of Preware and Impostah, but WebOS is still 2.1.2. Facebook and the App Catalog are obviously borked.

My questions:

1) Should I bother to try and update to 2.2.4? I downloaded the JAR file. There seems to be disagreement in the other thread. I don't care about Skype, and it sounds buggy - or is that fixed?
    2) Is there any way to back-up apps now that the app store is closed to reinstall after the 2.2.4 update? Or is it all pre-installed apps and Preware from this point forward?
    3) If I stay on 2.1.2, is there anything else I should be doing to get things working better now in 2015?
    4) If I doctor to 2.2.4, what patches should I run after the doctor? Anything else I should know or download?

Thanks much!
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatfische View Post
    After being missing for years, I found my Veer's power cable. Like it was Rip Van WebOS, I decided to wake it up.

I've read a number of threads re:updates, and the Veer now has the current versions of Preware and Impostah, but WebOS is still 2.1.2. Facebook and the App Catalog are obviously borked.

My questions:

1) Should I bother to try and update to 2.2.4? I downloaded the JAR file. There seems to be disagreement in the other thread. I don't care about Skype, and it sounds buggy - or is that fixed?
    2) Is there any way to back-up apps now that the app store is closed to reinstall after the 2.2.4 update? Or is it all pre-installed apps and Preware from this point forward?
    3) If I stay on 2.1.2, is there anything else I should be doing to get things working better now in 2015?
    4) If I doctor to 2.2.4, what patches should I run after the doctor? Anything else I should know or download?

Thanks much!
    Back a few years ago, I updated my Veer to 2.2.4 and didn't like it. I went back to 2.1.2. If I recall, 2.2.4 had some issues that Palm never fixed that drove me crazy, like no multiple pages for SMS conversations and others that I can't recall. That one issue still drives me crazy on the Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    If I recall, 2.2.4 had some issues that Palm never fixed that drove me crazy, like no multiple pages for SMS conversations and others that I can't recall. That one issue still drives me crazy on the Pre3!
    Whaaat? Not sure if I'm understanding that or not. Am I not noticing something?
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/30/2015 at 08:41 AM.
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

From post #8 there's some discussion of metaview's method of backing up installed apps. I've read somewhere that it's 'possible' to take installed apps files and repackage them as IPKs...

Please post your experiences on the thread.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/30/2015 at 09:27 AM.
    I am pretty sure you already know but just in case, remember that the facebook webpage does not work in Veer's 2.1.2 browser so if you stay in 2.1.2 it is no facebook at all.
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Yeah, that is a bit of a drag
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Whaaat? Not sure if I'm understanding that or not. Am I not noticing something?
    I can't open text threads in multiple pages and stack them. Can you?
    There is one patch that solve this...

I cannot remember the name now... "new canvas", I believe... but I really cannot remember... :sic:

Edit

I found...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    petbull likes this.
    Oh, the 'new card per convo' patch (something like that). I've never installed it, but there have been a couple of times I wish I had it - the one or two times I was texting more than one person at the same time. Must not have been updated for 2.2.4. Prob not impossible if that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    There is one patch that solve this...

I cannot remember the name now... "new canvas", I believe... but I really cannot remember... :sic:

Edit

I found...

Best Regards...
    THANK YOU! This has bugged me for the longest time. I didn't know of the patch. Learn something new everyday! And it does work for the Pre#3 even though it is listed for 2.1
    Rnp likes this.
    I'm here to help!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)