webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Coming back to and updating the Veer
Coming back to and updating the Veer
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By petbull

Old 04/29/2015, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

After being missing for years, I found my Veer's power cable. Like it was Rip Van WebOS, I decided to wake it up.

I've read a number of threads re:updates, and the Veer now has the current versions of Preware and Impostah, but WebOS is still 2.1.2. Facebook and the App Catalog are obviously borked.

My questions:

1) Should I bother to try and update to 2.2.4? I downloaded the JAR file. There seems to be disagreement in the other thread. I don't care about Skype, and it sounds buggy - or is that fixed?
2) Is there any way to back-up apps now that the app store is closed to reinstall after the 2.2.4 update? Or is it all pre-installed apps and Preware from this point forward?
3) If I stay on 2.1.2, is there anything else I should be doing to get things working better now in 2015?
4) If I doctor to 2.2.4, what patches should I run after the doctor? Anything else I should know or download?

Thanks much!
eschatfische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2015, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatfische View Post
After being missing for years, I found my Veer's power cable. Like it was Rip Van WebOS, I decided to wake it up.

I've read a number of threads re:updates, and the Veer now has the current versions of Preware and Impostah, but WebOS is still 2.1.2. Facebook and the App Catalog are obviously borked.

My questions:

1) Should I bother to try and update to 2.2.4? I downloaded the JAR file. There seems to be disagreement in the other thread. I don't care about Skype, and it sounds buggy - or is that fixed?
2) Is there any way to back-up apps now that the app store is closed to reinstall after the 2.2.4 update? Or is it all pre-installed apps and Preware from this point forward?
3) If I stay on 2.1.2, is there anything else I should be doing to get things working better now in 2015?
4) If I doctor to 2.2.4, what patches should I run after the doctor? Anything else I should know or download?

Thanks much!
Back a few years ago, I updated my Veer to 2.2.4 and didn't like it. I went back to 2.1.2. If I recall, 2.2.4 had some issues that Palm never fixed that drove me crazy, like no multiple pages for SMS conversations and others that I can't recall. That one issue still drives me crazy on the Pre3!
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2015, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
If I recall, 2.2.4 had some issues that Palm never fixed that drove me crazy, like no multiple pages for SMS conversations and others that I can't recall. That one issue still drives me crazy on the Pre3!
Whaaat? Not sure if I'm understanding that or not. Am I not noticing something?
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/30/2015 at 07:41 AM.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2015, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

From post #8 there's some discussion of metaview's method of backing up installed apps. I've read somewhere that it's 'possible' to take installed apps files and repackage them as IPKs...

Please post your experiences on the thread.

Last edited by Preemptive; 04/30/2015 at 08:27 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2015, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am pretty sure you already know but just in case, remember that the facebook webpage does not work in Veer's 2.1.2 browser so if you stay in 2.1.2 it is no facebook at all.
Old 04/30/2015, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, that is a bit of a drag
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Old 04/30/2015, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Whaaat? Not sure if I'm understanding that or not. Am I not noticing something?
I can't open text threads in multiple pages and stack them. Can you?
Old 04/30/2015, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
There is one patch that solve this...

I cannot remember the name now... "new canvas", I believe... but I really cannot remember... :sic:

Edit

I found...

Best Regards...
Liked by petbull likes this.
Thanked By: petbull
Old 04/30/2015, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, the 'new card per convo' patch (something like that). I've never installed it, but there have been a couple of times I wish I had it - the one or two times I was texting more than one person at the same time. Must not have been updated for 2.2.4. Prob not impossible if that's it.

Old 04/30/2015, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
There is one patch that solve this...

I cannot remember the name now... "new canvas", I believe... but I really cannot remember... :sic:

Edit

I found...

Best Regards...
THANK YOU! This has bugged me for the longest time. I didn't know of the patch. Learn something new everyday! And it does work for the Pre#3 even though it is listed for 2.1
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 04/30/2015, 06:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rnp

I'm here to help!

Best Regards...

Tags
veer 2015 updates