webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Veer redone with Coming back. Worth the move to 2.2.4?
Veer redone with Coming back. Worth the move to 2.2.4?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kancept
  • 1 Post By Herrie

Old 01/20/2015, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've had my Veer for a while, first having a Panda Veer, then getting pissed at hp, selling it, and gettign back into a black Veer (miss my Panda!).

I've been running the Veer sock 2.1.2, and use it off and on and still impress those around me with such a small phone. I've decided she needed some attention, so I completed factory reset it, and followed the guides on pivotCE about Coming back to webOS in 2014. The articles were well written and exactly what I needed.

Now, I have what I need to move to 2.2.4. I'm just wondering, for those that are running it if:
#1, it's worth it, as I understand I'm only gaining Skype, mono bluetooth audio, lack of overclocking options, and a new web stack. Am I missing something?
#2 I'm sure I'll have to start over with what I did with the guide, but is most of it not need once I move to 2.2.4?

I realize a lot of this info is on here, but it is so scattered among various posts, and there is nothing concrete as to what applies to 2.1.2 vs 2.2.4. Kinda like we need version control in PreWare or something. I haven't seen it in there.

To help with letting me know if 2.2.4 is worth the migration, I do plan on developing an app or 2 for my Veer. I'm working on integrating it into my motorcycle build with a touchstone. I've already eliminated all needs for keys and such (RFID), so I think I'm going to machine a spring mount to keep her secure. I'm also going to have to find a Panda Veer again, as the bike is Pearl White and black.

Thanks for any input.
kancept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2015, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Meh, I'm gonna move it to 2.2.4 tomorrow. I'll have some time to get it all going and patch from there. After these patches and for as fast as this thing is flying today, I don't think I'll need to overclock. I will miss stereo bluetooth audio, but it's not like I used it a ton for it to be a dealbreaker for me.
Liked by coolmanqazi likes this.
Old 01/21/2015, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Meh, I'm gonna move it to 2.2.4 tomorrow. I'll have some time to get it all going and patch from there. After these patches and for as fast as this thing is flying today, I don't think I'll need to overclock. I will miss stereo bluetooth audio, but it's not like I used it a ton for it to be a dealbreaker for me.
Bluetooth audio should be proper stereo, it's the wired audio that's not proper stereo on 2.2.4!

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
Thanked By: TJs11thPre
Old 01/21/2015, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

I kept my veer on 2.1.2 for 2 years. I didn't want to give up the patches and the ability to open more than one sms window. And overclocking. The Veer was fast and rock solid. And as many times as I dropped the little guy, it was remarkably robust. And the only Palm phone where they got the slider right.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2015, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Bluetooth audio should be proper stereo, it's the wired audio that's not proper stereo on 2.2.4!

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
In that case, even better!
Old 01/21/2015, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
I kept my veer on 2.1.2 for 2 years. I didn't want to give up the patches and the ability to open more than one sms window. And overclocking. The Veer was fast and rock solid. And as many times as I dropped the little guy, it was remarkably robust. And the only Palm phone where they got the slider right.
Yeah, it's why went I had the opportunity to pick one up again, I grabbed a Veer. That, and the guy who had the Pre3 wasn't giving it up.
Old 01/21/2015, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Another thing spurring my decision to upgrade is I'd like to use the new Synergy Connectors for Google and Yahoo. And please correct me if I'm wrong, I also can do new development with Enyo.
Old 01/21/2015, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

The connectors are compatible with 2.1.2 on the Veer with the Veer-specific patches. Enyo is supported (mostly) on all phones.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2015, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have updated my Veer to 2.2.4.
With 2.1.x I had a problem with the slider. A little movement of the slider unlocked the phone and it randomly make some calls.
With 2.2.4 the Veer unlocks when the slider is on top.
For me is 2.2.4 ok for daily use. I dont miss overclocking.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/21/2015, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
The connectors are compatible with 2.1.2 on the Veer with the Veer-specific patches. Enyo is supported (mostly) on all phones.
Right, I saw those patches, but if it keeps progressing, I'm not sure just patches will keep it going. Also, I thought that you had to have 2.2.4 to get a certain level of Enyo going, or am I wrong on that?
Old 01/21/2015, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davodego View Post
I have updated my Veer to 2.2.4.
With 2.1.x I had a problem with the slider. A little movement of the slider unlocked the phone and it randomly make some calls.
With 2.2.4 the Veer unlocks when the slider is on top.
For me is 2.2.4 ok for daily use. I dont miss overclocking.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
I haven't overclocked since doing the "returning" article, and this thing is a lot faster than I remember it. Must be all the logging being disabled.
Old 01/21/2015, 07:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

I installed 2.2.4, and the installer was fine. Couldn't get an Impostah profile on, but no biggie. Couldn't connect my Palm profile like I could with 2.1.2 this past week- no biggie.

Installed Preware, but couldn't connect to get any patches or apps, which was odd. Same one I just installed to my 2.1.2 this past week without issue.

Couldn't disable logging, and I did search the forums for it with 2.2.4. The dialer code to access it like in 2.1.2 wasn't working.

This thing seems awfully slow with 2.2.4 on it than when I remember doing it with my Panda Veer a while ago. Is there something I'm missing in this move?

I'm currently re-doctoring to 2.1.2 and will try the connectors with the patch that way. Given Skype is toast for use, the only thing I see that I'd miss is the web engine update. I no longer have a TP, so I'm not missing TTS.

I don't mind reupgrading to 2.2.4, just didn't see the advantage once I was there.
Old 01/21/2015, 08:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

After 2.2.4, do I still need AUSMT scripts, Gnu Patch, and LSDiff prior to getting Preware installed?
Old 01/21/2015, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

None of those are required before installing Preware. They are the dependencies for installing patches and all can be installed from Preware.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote