Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By jccjmml7
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 3 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By tracks914
  • 1 Post By Saijin_Naib
  • 2 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 3 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By petbull
  • 1 Post By Saijin_Naib
  • 1 Post By jccjmml7
  • 1 Post By Saijin_Naib
  1.    #1  
    Well......sort of new I guess. Ebay is a gamble sometimes.

    For starters, the package was not sealed. No biggie there. Inspected the phone and it looks to be unused.

    So, I try to power it on....nothing. Grab the magnetic cable and plug it in to wall......nothing.
    Take the cable to computer.....plug it in......nothing. Try some different things to get it to come on (based on the great users here)....nothing.

    OK, so I am a tinkerer and know my way around electronics. So I grab my multimeter and test the cable and find out it does provide necessary voltage....maybe there is an issue with the pin connections. Yep, sure enough there is.

    I was actually able to power the phone up manually (I cannot find my touchstone pucks, which REALLY stinks) by holding a couple of wires from an old cable to the pins on the phone. That is GOOD NEWS!

    Bought another cable on Ebay...praying it gets here before the 15th as I did not back up some of my 2.1 apps in the app catalog.

    What a journey! Cool little phone....felt right from the get go, fantastic keyboard (reminds me of my Pixi).

    Hopefully at the end of the day, this thing will have only set me back $50! Looking forward to using it eventually!
    Last edited by jccjmml7; 01/09/2015 at 09:30 AM.
    cbosdell likes this.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    Well......sort of new I guess. Ebay is a gamble sometimes.

    For starters, the package was not sealed. No biggie there. Inspected the phone and it looks to be unused.

    So, I try to power it on....nothing. Grab the magnetic cable and plug it in to wall......nothing.
    Take the cable to computer.....plug it in......nothing. Try some different things to get it to come on (based on the great users here)....nothing.

    OK, so I am a tinkerer and know my way around electronics. So I grab my multimeter and test the cable and find out it does provide necessary voltage....maybe there is an issue with the pin connections. Yep, sure enough there is.

    I was actually able to power the phone up manually (I cannot find my touchstone pucks, which REALLY stinks) by holding a couple of wires from an old cable to the pins on the phone. That is GOOD NEWS!

    Bought another cable on Ebay...praying it gets here before the 15th as I did not back up some of my 2.1 apps in the app catalog.

    What a journey! Cool little phone....felt right from the get go, fantastic keyboard (reminds me of my Pixi).

    Hopefully at the end of the day, this thing will have only set me back $50! Looking forward to using it eventually!
    I have pretty much a full backup of the app catalog's free apps. In case you need any paid apps, please contact me by PM and I can pull them for you as well, so you're safe for the 15th
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
  3. #3  
    The Veer that I used most recently kept getting some weird schmutz/dirt on the magnetic connector, and I would routinely have to take a q-tip with rubbing alcohol to it, otherwise it would start answering calls on it's own, thinking headset was connected when it wasn't, or not charging when connected via cable.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  4. #4  
    Enjoy it. so far its the best phone I've ever owned. so much so that I have 4 Veers. However one (BNIB) appears to be locked to AT&T. They (AT&T) gave me an unlock code but it didn't work and they refuse to talk to me again because I am from Canada. :P
    Last edited by tracks914; 01/09/2015 at 02:27 PM.
    jccjmml7 likes this.
  5. #5  
    Tracks,

    Use this method. I did
    Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones

    I loved my Veer. It was my favorite phone after the Pixi+, but I couldn't stand that stupid proprietary jack!

    Pre3 would have been the ultimate keeper for me, but I had to sell mine
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  6. #6  
    You have touch stones and under this circumstance, didn't remove everything from the house and lay it out on the front lawn until you found them??

    Lol I'm kidding, hope it all works out. Veer is awesome. I'm pretty sure it still holds the title as smallest smart phone.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    Tracks,

    Use this method. I did
    Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones

    I loved my Veer. It was my favorite phone after the Pixi+, but I couldn't stand that stupid proprietary jack!

    Pre3 would have been the ultimate keeper for me, but I had to sell mine
    This is what I used to unlock my Veer. It may seem intimidating reading over it, but it isn't bad. The main thing is making sure you download the versions of each component as specified in the instructions. Once that part is done, it just takes a few minutes.
    Saijin_Naib and TJs11thPre like this.
  8. #8  
    It was the second Python thing I ever used, and started my current fascination with it
  9. benh's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #9  
    Whenever I connect anything to the magnetic connector on my Veer I always lick my finger and rub (fairly vigorously) the connector on the cable/headset adapter and the phone. If I don't, I find it very difficult to get things connected.

    It seems a bit of heat and saliva does the trick.

    Ben
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post

    It seems a bit of heat and saliva does the trick.

    Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  11. #11  
    it's probably not your cable, but the connectors. As Eblade said, they get dirty and don't connect easily. I used a toothpick and alcohol (rubbing alcohol, not beer) and cleaned them up. Considering that phone has been sitting around for over 2 years, I wouldn't be surprised that they were a little dirty.

    The Veer was the most solid phone I had. But i sure did get mad when I would go out of town and forget the charging cable. You are stuck!
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
  12. #12  
    I lost my 3.5mm headset adapter on an 8hr road-trip with no BT for my headunit.

    Murder.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    it's probably not your cable, but the connectors. As Eblade said, they get dirty and don't connect easily. I used a toothpick and alcohol (rubbing alcohol, not beer) and cleaned them up. Considering that phone has been sitting around for over 2 years, I wouldn't be surprised that they were a little dirty.

    The Veer was the most solid phone I had. But i sure did get mad when I would go out of town and forget the charging cable. You are stuck!
    I actually took the magnetic connector apart and found that the solder connection on 2 of the wires was broken. I attempted to fix it and ended up breaking 2 others.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I have pretty much a full backup of the app catalog's free apps. In case you need any paid apps, please contact me by PM and I can pull them for you as well, so you're safe for the 15th
    Man, this is a big reason I have stuck with webOS for so long....this community.
    I sincerely appreciate it.

    I didn't have too many paid 2.1 apps, found a few that have been added here for free now, but there are still a couple.
    Will most certainly PM you if I can't get on the catalog in time!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    You have touch stones and under this circumstance, didn't remove everything from the house and lay it out on the front lawn until you found them??
    Actually, I did. You would have thought my wife had lost her wedding band.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Update: Did a little "modification" to the OEM charger cable (2 pins resoldered, just so I could charge the phone) and got set up on H2O wireless today.

    H2O SIM was $.99, got a $30 PIN from callingmart.com for $29.70, and ported my number with zero hassles.
    Called AT&T ahead of time to verify IMED to be unblocked.

    After I submitted the port request, service was active in 2 hrs. The entire process was done online.

    Thanks to all of you for jumping in here to help!

    Now, a few more days until I get a new cable and I will be ready to start patching!
  17. #17  
    Tried Dogberts method. Spent about 3 hours one night and couldn't get Python to install on my PC. There were no installation or set up files for any version I downloaded. Got pithed off and finally gave up and decided to take the new phone apart and see if I could just switch the guts from the phone with the blown ear speaker and and the new one. That isn't going great but that's another post on this forum. :P
    BTW does Dogberts method work after the 10 attempts with the AT&T unlock code?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Tried Dogberts method. Spent about 3 hours one night and couldn't get Python to install on my PC. There were no installation or set up files for any version I downloaded. Got pithed off and finally gave up and decided to take the new phone apart and see if I could just switch the guts from the phone with the blown ear speaker and and the new one. That isn't going great but that's another post on this forum. :P
    BTW does Dogberts method work after the 10 attempts with the AT&T unlock code?
    My Veer is locked to AT&T, but H2O runs on their network. I just popped the SIM in, bought a single month's service PIN, and that was really it.

    What service are you using?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Tried Dogberts method...BTW does Dogberts method work after the 10 attempts with the AT&T unlock code?
    Yes. It has nothing to do with AT&T's service (works "offline"), it pulls everything it needs from the phone's modem firmware and then reverses the hash to spit out the unlock code you need.

    I've used it for every webOS phone I've had and it works flawless each and every time. I wish this existed for my FirefoxOS phones.

    What part of the Python install did you fail? What are your computer specs?
    TJs11thPre likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Got my Touchpad 64 GB yesterday...
    By pseudofilosofen in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10/01/2011, 02:42 PM
  2. Purchased new Pre yesterday
    By spknpro1962 in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09/26/2010, 02:57 PM
  3. Yesterday I..
    By leftyman in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07/26/2009, 08:25 AM
  4. Did anyone else buy Classic yesterday
    By juliel in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06/09/2009, 02:18 PM
  5. got yesterday and must say pro is best treo yet
    By gordo2dope in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03/19/2009, 09:53 AM

Posting Permissions