webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Anybody still using a Veer on prepaid?
Anybody still using a Veer on prepaid?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 01/05/2015, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

I recently picked up a NIB Veer on Ebay, locked to AT&T.
Anybody out there still using a Veer on H2O, Straight Talk, or any other GSM prepaid?

Looks like I will give H2O a go, called them up to inquire about the activation process and make sure they still have a BYOP plan....and they do.

If anybody responds, please let me know how well going this route is still working for you.

Thanks in advance!
jccjmml7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know about H20, but my ATT Veer works great with H+ on Straight Talk's BYOP $45 plan. Alan Morford has been on ST for several months - I just got the SIM at the end of the year and have just been playing with it, not carrying it around.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Thanked By: jccjmml7
Old 01/05/2015, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's good news....does the ST service require an unlock or just insert SIM and go? The only thing that worries me is customer service, which is really just the initial setup (planning to port my existing number over).

I called H2O and had a difficult time just trying to have a conversation with the lady!
Old 01/05/2015, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

As long as you use the ATT SIM from ST's activation package (or just buy that one direct from their site) an ATT phone does not have to be unlocked. The packet sold at Wal-Mart contains both ATT and T-Mobile SIMS (two of each: full-size/micro and a nano). Also worked with a GoPhone (non-branded) Lumia locked to ATT.
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Old 01/05/2015, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
As long as you use the ATT SIM from ST's activation package (or just buy that one direct from their site) an ATT phone does not have to be unlocked. The packet sold at Wal-Mart contains both ATT and T-Mobile SIMS (two of each: full-size/micro and a nano). Also worked with a GoPhone (non-branded) Lumia locked to ATT.
I'm going to run by WalMart and check out that starter kit. I know that ST has been the most used prepay "provider" on webOS. I almost kept my Pre2 and signed up for Page Plus, but REALLY wanted a Veer since it was launched.

Thanks a bunch for the info, I am Christmas morning excited to get back to webOS!
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 01/05/2015, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

My backup plan if my pre2 dies is get the special t-mo Sim that allows 5gig data for $35 and add Skype for $3. Gotta have 224 on your veer to use Skype though.
Old 01/05/2015, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't remember a t-mobile plan with 5gb of data for $35.. My biggest gripe about them is their data speeds anywhere outside metro areas.

Old 01/05/2015, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't remember a t-mobile plan with 5gb of data for $35.. My biggest gripe about them is their data speeds anywhere outside metro areas.
I can't remember if the trick is a web deal only you have wait for it to come in the mail from tmo, or t it's a deal available on Walmart.com only.

But it's 100min, 5gb $35 unl.txt.

Unless it's been scrapped recently.

Yeah the tmo service is sketchy for non tmo handsets. S Talk is a much more consistent service with att.
Old 01/05/2015, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

I didn't see an option for Palm or HP phones on T-Mobile's website.
Old 01/05/2015, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
I didn't see an option for Palm or HP phones on T-Mobile's website.
Of course not. You'd need a time machine to see any recognition of a webOS device from a US carrier!

You would set the APN settings manually for any non tmo phone you are attempting to put on their network. You buy the prepaid Sim and insert it. Tmo does not care what brand your gsm phone is.

Yes, do the straight talk byop. It's a great choice for a veer!

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/05/2015 at 09:00 PM.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jccjmml7 likes this.
Old 01/05/2015, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
Of course not. You'd need a time machine to see any recognition of a webOS device from a US carrier!
So true....boy what we could do with a time machine.
Old 01/05/2015, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

You would set the APN settings manually for any non tmo phone you are attempting to put on their network. You buy the prepaid Sim and insert it. Tmo does not care what brand your gsm phone is.

Yes, do the straight talk byop. It's a great choice for a veer!
It would have to be unlocked though for the T-Mo plan.. (but I know you both know that)

I wondered if you were talking about Wal-Mart family mobile, but I thought it was unlimited talk and text.

Old 01/05/2015, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
They've lowered it to $30!

Here's the text from the bottom of the tmo prepaid plans page:

100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5GB at up to 4G speeds
Includes unlimited international texting from the U.S. to virtually anywhere included in your plan  at no extra charge.
This plan is only available for devices purchased from Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com

So you have to buy the tmo Sim from them then go online and activate it new.
Old 01/05/2015, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

You know, I have never fully understood sim cards. I am so used to a 3g CDMA phone, where you dial *228 or something to do OTA programming.

I will be porting my Virgin Mobile number over, so that will make it a little more interesting I am sure .

Thanks for your feedback! ST sounds like a safer bet than H2O.
Old 01/05/2015, 09:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
You know, I have never fully understood sim cards. I am so used to a 3g CDMA phone, where you dial *228 or something to do OTA programming.

I will be porting my Virgin Mobile number over, so that will make it a little more interesting I am sure .

Thanks for your feedback! ST sounds like a safer bet than H2O.
I still don't fully understand them! I had the T-Mobile SIM activated in-store a couple years ago, or I'd have had to struggle through it. I did manage to activate the ST SIM from the Wal-Mart package using the ST BYOD website... there are several options - one is specifically for porting in a number. The instructions are pretty clear. It gave me an error the first time, but when I tried again, it worked. I was using a hotspot in an iffy location, so it may have just been that.

Old 01/05/2015, 09:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
It would have to be unlocked though for the T-Mo plan.. (but I know you both know that)

I wondered if you were talking about Wal-Mart family mobile, but I thought it was unlimited talk and text.
It's that plan's cousin. One is no data and the other is just about no minutes. They are both listed at the bottom of the tmo prepaid page. But the price drop for the data heavy plan is new. Offsets the $3 Skype supplement!

If someone can port the new Google hangouts to webos we wouldn't need Skype either. Free calls are back on android. *sigh*
Old 01/05/2015, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
They've lowered it to $30!

Here's the text from the bottom of the tmo prepaid plans page:

100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5GB at up to 4G speeds
Includes unlimited international texting from the U.S. to virtually anywhere included in your plan  at no extra charge.
This plan is only available for devices purchased from Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com

So you have to buy the tmo Sim from them then go online and activate it new.
Ok, I found it.. I could never do that.. I use my phone for work and usually use at least 1000 minutes per month.

Old 01/05/2015, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
It's that plan's cousin. One is no data and the other is just about no minutes. They are both listed at the bottom of the tmo prepaid page. But the price drop for the data heavy plan is new. Offsets the $3 Skype supplement!

If someone can port the new Google hangouts to webos we wouldn't need Skype either. Free calls are back on android. *sigh*
Wal-Mart family mobile is $35/mo unlimited talk, text, and data, with the first 5gb at 3G speeds.. if you don't have a 4G phone, that's not bad I guess, if the network works for you.

Old 01/05/2015, 09:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Wal-Mart family mobile is $35/mo unlimited talk, text, and data, with the first 5gb at 3G speeds.. if you don't have a 4G phone, that's not bad I guess, if the network works for you.
I thought that plan required using their device as well. Or maybe not because it's 3g not 4?

But I'd want to test that. Is the 3g their h+? Are they calling it that now that they finally have real 4g on LTE?

Whatever. The s talk plan is probably the best option right now for webOS in the US. (the alternative being true unlimited 3g only on sprint with a franken -- or a very grandfathered att or vzn plan)

Yeah 100 mins is one call. But $3 unlimited calls on skype could work. Are you @2.2.4 on the veer? I'm not so haven't actually confirmed it on veer but free Skype to Skype works on my frankenpre2, tested it last week.
Old 01/05/2015, 09:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

OK, not to derail, but Skype does indeed work with webOS 2.2.4 on the Veer? I was on Verizon for so many years, and Verizon canceled the Skype mobile version right before I dropped them.

That would be huge, if I could use Skype on the Veer. I spend 90% of my time on blazing fast wifi connections and that would allow me to connect with my wife and kids on their Android devices.