Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nafetz
  • 3 Post By creepingmee
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    my Veer suffers the known black screen issue. In my case, when using my Veer the display stops working and freezes. I often can see the screen with the tap I have done latest, then nothing seems to happen any more.

When I press White + Sym+ P I can see afterwards in the screenshots of my fotogallery, that the tap was sucessful and the Veer was still working, only the screen doesn't seem to get any further information any more. I f I wait about a minute and press any hardware button or the gesture area the display comes to life again in most cases.

If I press the power button first off and then on again while the screen is frozen then I have a black screen with visible backlight afterwards and it's much more difficult to get the display back to life. I don't think that my proximity sensor has a problem because it passed all the tests. When I take a bright light in front of the sensor while the screen is black then I can see that the keyboard backlight turns off - so it seems to work.

I would like to check my screen cables as described in these topics:
    HP Veer problem with screen, when opening keyboard
    Screen black-out Hp Veer

But to me it appears that the only way to check the screen cable, is to detach the circuit board.
    Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals
    Because English is not my native language I would be very happy if someone could explain which one of the shown cables is the one that might have led to success for the other users who tried this.

Best regards,

Nafetz
    There is only 1 cable connecting the display to the mainboard. With long usage these can wear out from opening and closing the slider :-( I had this happen on 2 Veers which were used normally for 1,5-2 years each. I suspect the same happened to yours. If you're lucky you can get a replacement screen on eBay for a small amount, otherwise you'd have to replace your Veer. I doubt it's fixable :-(

To detach the screen:

1. Remove the plastic bezel around the screen.
    2. The display is held in place with metal clips on the side of it, bend these outwards a little or just make sure you can get them to release their hold on the display.
    3. You need to move the slider a bit before you can see where the cable is connected to the mainboard. You need to move the plastic lever up (so it makes a 90 degrees angle with the mainboard), you can now gently slide the cable out and take the display out.

Please be aware this is all very delicate and you need to do it with care. Putting it back can be done in reverse order. Best would be to somehow lock the position of the slider with a piece of thin cardboard so you can patiently put back the display cable.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/12/2014 at 01:51 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    Thank you very much!
    I found the little plastic lever, pulled the cable out and had a lot of work to get it back in.
    But now it seems to be much better!
    I bought the Veer on Friday knowing it was broken and the screen was completely back. After several tries I got the situation that I told yesterday which happened every 5 minutes or even shorter.
    Now I'm using the Veer for about two hours without problems

But maybe it's wise to look for spare parts in advance :-)
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Thank you very much!
    I found the little plastic lever, pulled the cable out and had a lot of work to get it back in.
    But now it seems to be much better!
    I bought the Veer on Friday knowing it was broken and the screen was completely back. After several tries I got the situation that I told yesterday which happened every 5 minutes or even shorter.
    Now I'm using the Veer for about two hours without problems

But maybe it's wise to look for spare parts in advance :-)
    Happy to hear I was able to help. It requires patience and it's a quite precise job ;-) A spare doesn't hurt for sure. That's what wears out on my Veers ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Hi all,

my Veer s display isn't working anymore. The phone is working well since over 4 years. i want to ask if someone could repair it, change it? i don't know where to ask. i have a working veer with working display i could send together so you only have to change it, if you have no display. how much would this cost? i don't have the right tools and i think it would be too hard for me build it together again. I would be glad hearing from you soon.

best regards
  6.    #6  
    Hi, if you don't find a better solution than me I would offer help.
    My three Veers are all bought from ebay as broken phones. The first one described above is still running. The second one with broken display didn't work after several tries of fixing. So I bought a third one with broken SIM slot and transplanted the display of this phone successful to the second one.
    So I'm a little used to repairing displays of Veers.
    But to be honest: Chances are that both devices get damaged when trying to swap the display. I'm no professional in repairing devices. It would be very uncomfortable for me to destroy the device of someone else. So I only would prefer to do it when there is no other better chance ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel1234 View Post
    Hi all,

my Veer s display isn't working anymore. The phone is working well since over 4 years. i want to ask if someone could repair it, change it? i don't know where to ask. i have a working veer with working display i could send together so you only have to change it, if you have no display. how much would this cost? i don't have the right tools and i think it would be too hard for me build it together again. I would be glad hearing from you soon.

best regards
    There's this...
    Device Repair Service in Germany
    Wow guys thank you very much both! I never heard from the german repair service i will send them a mail hoping they can repair veers because only this is not listed in their repair list. Nafetz maybe i will come back to you ...
    I, of course as many of you know repair and sell veers. I have sent veers all over the world. Let me know if you want my assistance.