webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > LuneOS on Veer?
LuneOS on Veer?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By chalx
  • 1 Post By 60RH

Old 09/08/2014, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

I expect this isn't going to happen, but I am fairly new to webOS and thought I'd ask...
jblakeharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2014, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblakeharris View Post
I expect this isn't going to happen, but I am fairly new to webOS and thought I'd ask...
We don't have a set of open source drivers for the hardware of the phones, so Even if someone wanted to build it, he couldn't then distribute it. So no I don't expect we will have luneos on an old webos phone, but newer hardware is a better target anyway.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2014, 03:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
We don't have a set of open source drivers for the hardware of the phones, so Even if someone wanted to build it, he couldn't then distribute it. So no I don't expect we will have luneos on an old webos phone, but newer hardware is a better target anyway.
I'm sure a very talented an very experienced Android kernel developer could get it working (or CyanogenMod porter) could get Android working on it which could be a base for LuneOS.

But the 512MB RAM and the 800Mhz CPU isn't likely be able to pull it off. The Touchpad with dualcore 1,2Ghz runs it fairly OK, but I doubt anything slower would do to be honest.

How much I personally would like it, it's unlikely to happen.

I'd prefer my next phone to be one with QWERTY keyboard as well... If only those nice BB10 devices had an unlocked bootloader
Old 09/09/2014, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Does LuneOS / Open webOS have the ability to interact with a hardware keyboard? I assume webOS keyboards conform to some kind of standard protocol. Just thinking of possibilities...

I don't know if the Pre 3 has enough power to run LuneOS (in theory only of course!), but I have seen some Android phones with keyboards. They are probably equally old...

Motorola Spice - Everything you need to know | Android Central
Motorola Droid Pro - Everything you need to know | Android Central
Motorola Pro - Everything you need to know | Android Central
Samsung Replenish initial review | Android Central
Sprint announces the Motorola Admiral, coming Oct. 23 for 99 | Android Central
Old 09/09/2014, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

The veer was designed to be the sidekick to a TP. So I'm wondering if it will still have the same cozy relationship with a luneOS TP.

The veer imho is still a viable phone especially if it is on an H+42 network. Doesn't need a new OS, just a final firmware update!
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ktessner likes this.
Old 09/09/2014, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
The veer was designed to be the sidekick to a TP. So I'm wondering if it will still have the same cozy relationship with a luneOS TP.

The veer imho is still a viable phone especially if it is on an H+42 network. Doesn't need a new OS, just a final firmware update!
We don't have TTS and it's unlikely due to it being proprietary and I understood a lot of info about A6 got lost when HP pulled the plug on webOS.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 09/09/2014, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, that would be cool although my veer is just for trips where I there's no CDMA.
So far TP in LuneOS doesn't support induction charging - not sure it'll ever will. I think this is the case with different CM roms. I hope we can get it eventualy in LuneOS and add some Exhibition mode apps out of that.

Last edited by 60RH; 09/09/2014 at 05:35 PM.
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2014, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

My TP charges just fine on the Touchstone while running LuneOS. I was surprised it worked, but it sure does work.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: 60RH
Old 09/09/2014, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

There was some early alpha Android builds for Veer.

How to install Tiny Droid on Veer
Old 09/09/2014, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
My TP charges just fine on the Touchstone while running LuneOS. I was surprised it worked, but it sure does work.
hmm...
Have to try it then
Old 09/09/2014, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Charging works, I can confirm that. But not sure about the rest of the A6 stuff Then again unlikely it would be developed, because there are no other devices with A6
Old 09/09/2014, 06:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Charging works, I can confirm that. But not sure about the rest of the A6 stuff Then again unlikely it would be developed, because there are no other devices with A6
No the a6 is definitely an Achilles heel for veer with regard to future dev. Which Sucks.

What's the potential for using only the hardware of such a device, but rebuilding the motherboard with existing android parts that have existing drivers and compatibilities?

As much as i love webOS and luna infrastructure, which is awesome for HOW it does things, i wonder if the mental energy would be better spent reshaping the way android APPEARS to do things, such that it emulates webOS as much as possible. Is there more chance of success, and more potential for a profitable piece of software, and more satisfied former webOS users, if Herrie and these other (hard working but not magic) individuals were designing a webOS themed launcher for android? Thoughts from those involved are particularly appreciated.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2014, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
because there are no other devices with A6
Hmm, so this means A6 chip was developed only for HP / Palm and it is not used in other devices - by other companies?
So - I would assume HP still owns that A6 chip and HP could provide some A6 documentation/tools if they want to share this? Has anyone asked HP about this ? And whom to ask at HP - any names? If someone knows names then please send in private mail to me.

Regards, Martin
MartinH@webos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2014, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Charging bolt is just too darn small and I guess I'm used to the boing sound and notification for charging on webOS
Old 09/09/2014, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
Charging bolt is just too darn small and I guess I'm used to the boing sound and notification for charging on webOS
Do we need to redo sounds as well as graphics? Could be fun!
Old 09/09/2014, 10:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
Yeah, it's definitely hard to see - especially if you enable the battery % in Tweaks.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2014, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, it's definitely hard to see - especially if you enable the battery % in Tweaks.
Exactly what I did on the first boot.
Had to tweak the OS the way I like it as much as it let me
And it's in the bottom right corner which is a bit further than the top right(the way I have my touch stone) where it should be if the OS supported rotation.

Last edited by 60RH; 09/09/2014 at 10:32 PM.
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote