Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By tedthebassist
  • 2 Post By 60RH
  • 1 Post By tedthebassist
  • 1 Post By benh
  1.    #1  
    Hello, All,

I was an avid PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$ $user$ $for$ $many$ $years$. $As$ $my$ $first$ $real$ $smartphone$, $it$ $saw$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $love$ ($my$ $previous$ $device$ $was$ $a$ $LG$ $Venus$). $I$ $installed$ $webOS$ $2$.$1$ $with$ $a$ $Meta$-$Doctor$ $and$ $created$ $a$ $Franken$ $Pr$&#$275$; $by$ $swapping$ $the$ $system$ $board$ $of$ $mine$ $with$ $that$ $of$ $a$ $broken$ $Sprint$ $Pr$&#$275$; $so$ $that$ $I$ $could$ $have$ $a$ $gesture$ $nub$ $and$ $orange$ $keyboard$ $while$ $still$ $being$ $on$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$. $However$, $working$ $in$ $a$ $theatre$'$s$ $shop$ $for$ $years$ $eventually$ $saw$ $the$ $end$ $of$ $my$ $little$ $device$.

My family surprised me with an iPhone 5 the following holiday, which used up my upgrade. While I can tolerate the iOS, I can't endorse it. My heart has always belonged to webOS. I was finally able to score an HP Veer (although a white one) for $35.00, unlocked, on eBay and I couldn't be more excited to be back. I've long stalked the Pre Central --er, WebOS Nation-- forums from afar and I'm ecstatic to see that users are still active.

So, here's my question, where should I start ladies and gentlemen? I've been eyeing updating to 2.2.4.

Sincerely,
    ~Ted

*Edit*
    Uberkernel/Govnah, Google Sync https fix, set logging to minimal, and installed a slew of patches, activated the virtual keyboard... I've missed this.
    Last edited by tedthebassist; 07/11/2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Just an update.
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    Rnp, barryb20, cbosdell and 3 others like this.
    nice to have you back! btw great price for a panda veer.... regarding your question about the update to 2.2.4 there is a thread around here about its benefits. in my case the veer works perfectly with 2.1.2 (for my needs of course). set logging to minimal as soon as you can and that is i think.
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
  3.    #3  
    Hi, guilledil,

Thanks for the tip about 2.2.4! What do you mean by "set logging to minimal"?

Sincerely,
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    Quote Originally Posted by tedthebassist View Post
    So, here's my question, where should I start ladies and gentlemen?
    Reading that you come from an iPhone, make sure to search the forum for issues with microsim adapters, stuck simcards and bent contacts. :/

After that enjoy your Veer. It's my daily driver and despite it's drawbacks I still think overall it's the best webOS phone ever released. (Well for me anyway.)

What do you mean by "set logging to minimal"?
    Open phone app, type ##logs# (##5647#) or #*logs#, 'change loggin levels', 'minimum logging' (or so, mine is set to german).

I'd also suggest to install uberkernel and govnah from preware. You don't have to overclock, but the uberkernel default profile has a much better memory management compared to palm default
    edit: 'doh! Uberkernel is only available for 2.1.1/2.1.2 versions if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by DocJones; 07/07/2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: 'doh! uberkernel not available for 2.2.4
    Hello, All,

I was an avid PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$ $user$ $for$ $many$ $years$. $As$ $my$ $first$ $real$ $smartphone$, $it$ $saw$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $love$ ($my$ $previous$ $device$ $was$ $a$ $LG$ $Venus$). $I$ $installed$ $webOS$ $2$.$1$ $with$ $a$ $Meta$-$Doctor$ $and$ $created$ $a$ $Franken$ $Pr$&#$275$; $by$ $swapping$ $the$ $system$ $board$ $of$ $mine$ $with$ $that$ $of$ $a$ $broken$ $Sprint$ $Pr$&#$275$; $so$ $that$ $I$ $could$ $have$ $a$ $gesture$ $nub$ $and$ $orange$ $keyboard$ $while$ $still$ $being$ $on$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$. $However$, $working$ $in$ $a$ $theatre$'$s$ $shop$ $for$ $years$ $eventually$ $saw$ $the$ $end$ $of$ $my$ $little$ $device$.

My family surprised me with an iPhone 5 the following holiday, which used up my upgrade. While I can tolerate the iOS, I can't endorse it. My heart has always belonged to webOS. I was finally able to score an HP Veer (although a white one) for $35.00, unlocked, on eBay and I couldn't be more excited to be back. I've long stalked the Pre Central --er, WebOS Nation-- forums from afar and I'm ecstatic to see that users are still active.

So, here's my question, where should I start ladies and gentlemen? I've been eyeing updating to 2.2.4.
    I left my veer at 2.1. No rush there. What is a priority is the expired certificate for the app cat and the https patch for Google sync. You have a lot of reading to do, but the veer is still a very competent phone if you have hspa+ service, and you should be very happy, possibly even wondering why you waited so long.

I personally prefer the frankenpre2, but its a trade off, i wish i could merge them! Welcome back
    If you've been lurking, then maybe you are aware of many of the issues and fixes and with your experience, ready to tackle them.

If you need a general primer or update, then I humbly suggest the links in my signature. For your projects, webOS-Internals still has valuable information in addition to the advice you are already getting on this forum.
    I've been using veer on my trip to GSM land for a month and now pre2 feels huge
    Welcome back tedthebassist!
  9.    #9  
    Hi, all,

Thanks for all the comments! I wasn't aware that Uberkernel and Govnah weren't supported above 2.1.2, so I'm very likely to stay on that. If I remember correctly, they made one heck of a difference on my PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$' $performance$. $May$ $I$ $hear$ $a$ $little$ $more$ ($or$ $be$ $directed$ $to$ $an$ $already$ $existing$ $thread$) $about$ $expired$ $certificates$ $for$ $the$ $App$ $Catalog$ $and$ $the$ $https$ $patch$ $for$ $Google$ $Sync$?

Sincerely,
    ~Ted
    If you use hotmail, you'll need to install the updated GlobalSign certificates too. There is a link in my signature for that update.
  11.    #12  
    WebOS Quick Install can't seem to detect my Veer (v. 2.1.2) when I connect it and select "Just Charge." I've enabled Developer mode, have Java 6.1, and installed the Novacom drivers. Any ideas?

Sincerely,
    ~Ted

*Edit*
    I restarted my Veer and my PC and it worked. As an ITs Technician, I really should have troubleshot that better first...
    Last edited by tedthebassist; 07/09/2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Fix'd it!
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    If you use hotmail, you'll need to install the updated GlobalSign certificates too. There is a link in my signature for that update.

Really? First i heard of it.

Here's something else i didn't know, and I'm on this forum every day! Ugh.

What else am i missing out on? I really wish there was a more reliable way to stay up to date.

Well OP, there's a tip, you really have to be proactive to stay ahead of the obsolescence.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Really? First i heard of it.

Here's something else i didn't know, and I'm on this forum every day! Ugh.

What else am i missing out on? I really wish there was a more reliable way to stay up to date.

Well OP, there's a tip, you really have to be proactive to stay ahead of the obsolescence.
    I think there is a 'things you need to do on a fresh device or after a doctor' thread somewhere, but I'm not sure where.
    I've been rockin the Veer since it came out. Tried a Galaxy but came back to Veer. I have 4 of them and the only problem I have is on really hot days, with it in my pocket, I get some pocket dials or the screen comes on and partially freezes. When this happens I just turn screen off and on again and it works fine. Other than a half dozen new apps that we can't get on WebOS the phone still rocks.
    Still looking for a cheap Pre 3 just to try but happy to use the Veer until then.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    I've been rockin the Veer since it came out. Tried a Galaxy but came back to Veer. I have 4 of them and the only problem I have is on really hot days, with it in my pocket, I get some pocket dials or the screen comes on and partially freezes. When this happens I just turn screen off and on again and it works fine. Other than a half dozen new apps that we can't get on WebOS the phone still rocks.
    Still looking for a cheap Pre 3 just to try but happy to use the Veer until then.
    I used to have the pocket/screen issue. I solved by making sure the screen faced away from my leg when I put it in my pocket. I think you're right, the heat (and sweat) do something to the screen.

I have a Pre3 (wife has it now) and migrated to it a couple of times but each time I come back to my Veer I'm much happier.

Ben
    tracks914 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    I used to have the pocket/screen issue. I solved by making sure the screen faced away from my leg when I put it in my pocket. I think you're right, the heat (and sweat) do something to the screen.

I have a Pre3 (wife has it now) and migrated to it a couple of times but each time I come back to my Veer I'm much happier.

Ben
    I always put the screen to my leg to keep from breaking it but you are right, if I put it away from my leg it doesn't have the screen issue anywhere nearly as much.