Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so i have been reading on alot of threads that the solution to alot of the problems being had is upgrading to version 2.2.4... how do i do that?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdburns View Post
    so i have been reading on alot of threads that the solution to alot of the problems being had is upgrading to version 2.2.4... how do i do that?

thanks
    That is a very wide question with a very specific set of answers.

What device are you currently using?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    That is a very wide question with a very specific set of answers.

What device are you currently using?
    HP Veer... am I in the right forum?
    HP Veer... am I in the right forum?
    Yes indeed.

AT&T Veer, or O2/Movistar Veer?

Official doctors are only 2.1.2 and 2.1.1
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions

You'll need to create a metadoctor to roll yourself a 2.2.4 ROM.

Read this thread carefully:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-vee...int.html?pp=40
  5.    #5  
    Yes indeed.

AT&T Veer, or O2/Movistar Veer?

Official doctors are only 2.1.2 and 2.1.1
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

You'll need to create a metadoctor to roll yourself a 2.2.4 ROM.

Read this thread carefully:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-vee...int.html?pp=40
    I have an at&t veer but i'm using it with tmobile... i dont' understand anything after that question but i will try to read the links you posted.
    I have an at&t veer but i'm using it with tmobile... i dont' understand anything after that question but i will try to read the links you posted.
    The latest Official HP/Palm webOS version you can use is then 2.1.2, linked to on the webOS Internals Doctors page.

If you want to use webOS 2.2.4 on your HP Veer, you need to create a metadoctor, or a custom webOS ROM/system image for use on your Veer.

Since not all of the components were open sourced/licensed, it is illegal for other members to modify and distribute these images.

However, it is perfectly legal for you to make a metadoctor for your own personal use. The second link I sent you describes what all is required to make your own 2.2.4 metadoctor for your HP Veer.

If you're not overly familiar with computers, it could be a daunting task.
  7.    #7  
    The latest Official HP/Palm webOS version you can use is then 2.1.2, linked to on the webOS Internals Doctors page.

If you want to use webOS 2.2.4 on your HP Veer, you need to create a metadoctor, or a custom webOS ROM/system image for use on your Veer.

Since not all of the components were open sourced/licensed, it is illegal for other members to modify and distribute these images.

However, it is perfectly legal for you to make a metadoctor for your own personal use. The second link I sent you describes what all is required to make your own 2.2.4 metadoctor for your HP Veer.

If you're not overly familiar with computers, it could be a daunting task.
    yeah, that is way over my head. i have no idea what the links you psted are talking about.

i'm just frustrated with this phone because it doesn't seem to be able to do anything. my husband has the same plan i do and he can do all sorts of things on his phone and i cant even send a picture to someone. i've been reading threads trying ot fix some of my issues and i thought upgrading it would work but i won't be able to it.

Here is a list of my main issues (which are really basic things), if you have any suggestions let me know:

1. can't send pics (even my ten year old flip phone could do this)
    2. my email is always synching
    3. i cant see pictures on facebook app
    4. i cant post pictures on facebook app
    5. wont let me open up facebook website (i thought instead of app i would just go to webpage)
    6. cant find a gps app that works
    7. i also cant recieve pictures if someone sends me one

so far these are the basic things ive been trying to do on this phone and im having issues with.

also ive contacted tmobile and they have told me that its the phone not my service that my plan and sim card are both working correctly.
    Do you have T-Mobile US or in another country? On which plan are you or prepaid. Send/receive pics as in MMS? That's a settings problem that can be fixed, woul just need to know your plan or prepaid. For 2.2.4 send me a PM and might be able to help you out :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    1) APN settings are wrong, nothing to do with the phone.
    2) You can change the sync frequency.
    3) Likely Facebook SSL issue.
    4) Likely Facebook SSL issue.
    5) Known Veer bug. Not sure I ever had it though.
    6) GPS isn't enabled by default.
    7) APN settings are wrong, nothing to do with the phone.

To Fix Issues:
    1,7: Call T-Mobile support and get them to give you their APN settings for Internet and MMS connections. Tell them you have a smartphone. You'll need to follow the instructions in this link to get to the settings screen where you can manually enter the APN settings:
    Internet APN Settings Pre 3
    This is what happens when you use a device off-network, you always need to input the carrier settings.

2: Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Setting up email accounts
    This link shows you how to change advanced email settings, including the sync interval

3,4: Disable Facebook Secure Browsing
    How to Enable / Disable Secure Browsing (https) on Facebook
    This link will guide you through the process of disabling Facebook's Secure Browsing feature

5: I have no solution. Never ran into it personally.

6: Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Location Services
    This link guides you through enabling Location Services to get your GPS working.

Note that if your APN settings are wrong, the A-GPS feature will not work and the GPS WILL take a long time to get a lock on your position, and will likely fail if you aren't in view of clear open sky. GPS is a hilariously weak signal and it can be blocked by your body, so no trying to get a lock indoors, okay?

Furthermore, since it is the first time the GPS has been used in a long time, it'll have to download the Almanac from the satellites before it can get a lock. Expect to give it a minute or more at least to get itself sorted.

Let me know how it goes.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Do you have T-Mobile US or in another country? On which plan are you or prepaid. Send/receive pics as in MMS? That's a settings problem that can be fixed, woul just need to know your plan or prepaid. For 2.2.4 send me a PM and might be able to help you out :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    its tmobile in US and it is a prepaid plan... i'll try to pm you
  11.    #11  
    1) APN settings are wrong, nothing to do with the phone.
    2) You can change the sync frequency.
    3) Likely Facebook SSL issue.
    4) Likely Facebook SSL issue.
    5) Known Veer bug. Not sure I ever had it though.
    6) GPS isn't enabled by default.
    7) APN settings are wrong, nothing to do with the phone.

To Fix Issues:
    1,7: Call T-Mobile support and get them to give you their APN settings for Internet and MMS connections. Tell them you have a smartphone. You'll need to follow the instructions in this link to get to the settings screen where you can manually enter the APN settings:
    Internet APN Settings Pre 3
    This is what happens when you use a device off-network, you always need to input the carrier settings.

2: Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Setting up email accounts
    This link shows you how to change advanced email settings, including the sync interval

3,4: Disable Facebook Secure Browsing
    How to Enable / Disable Secure Browsing (https) on Facebook
    This link will guide you through the process of disabling Facebook's Secure Browsing feature

5: I have no solution. Never ran into it personally.

6: Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Location Services
    This link guides you through enabling Location Services to get your GPS working.

Note that if your APN settings are wrong, the A-GPS feature will not work and the GPS WILL take a long time to get a lock on your position, and will likely fail if you aren't in view of clear open sky. GPS is a hilariously weak signal and it can be blocked by your body, so no trying to get a lock indoors, okay?

Furthermore, since it is the first time the GPS has been used in a long time, it'll have to download the Almanac from the satellites before it can get a lock. Expect to give it a minute or more at least to get itself sorted.

Let me know how it goes.
    I read about the apn settings but couldnt figure out how to change them. I'll check out the links you posted and see if they work.

the facebook one ive tried already and i do not have that security option on facebook settings, not sure why i dont.

also, i do not have a gps app yet because i cant find one in the catalog. i have this bgf maps app that i thought was a gps but its just like google maps.

it may take me awhile to try everything so dont think i gave up if i dont reply for awhile, thanks for the help!
    I read about the apn settings but couldnt figure out how to change them. I'll check out the links you posted and see if they work.

the facebook one ive tried already and i do not have that security option on facebook settings, not sure why i dont.

also, i do not have a gps app yet because i cant find one in the catalog. i have this bgf maps app that i thought was a gps but its just like google maps.

it may take me awhile to try everything so dont think i gave up if i dont reply for awhile, thanks for the help!
    Internet APN & MMS APN settings are in the Phone app. You can adjust them there. Settings for T-Mobile can be found here: T-Mobile - US APN settings - xda-developers
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  13.    #13  
    Internet APN & MMS APN settings are in the Phone app. You can adjust them there. Settings for T-Mobile can be found here: T-Mobile - US APN settings - xda-developers
    1,7.So my APN settings are now correct and i can send photos but i still cant recieve them,

2.The email link does not have the same settings i do.

3,4.Like i mentioned above my facebook options are not the same as these instructions, i attached a pic of my settings.

6. i dont have a gps app yet, if someone knows a good one they can reccomend because i cant find any in the catalog.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1,7.So my APN settings are now correct and i can send photos but i still cant recieve them,

3,4.Like i mentioned above my facebook options are not the same as these instructions, i attached a pic of my settings.

6. i dont have a gps app yet, if someone knows a good one they can reccomend because i cant find any in the catalog.

thanks
    By GPS app, what are you looking for Maps, Running logger, without more information it is hard to recommend something for your needs?

thanks
    1. I never tried to receive MMS myself, my carrier always sends me a web link with the photo, not directly on the device for some reason.

3. I think other people reported that as well in the past. You might want to try another browser on your PC or remove the Facebook (cookie(s)).

6. You don't really need a GPS app, when you start and app that needs GPS it will ask you to enable it. You can enable GPS manually from the Location Services app as well.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    By GPS app, what are you looking for Maps, Running logger, without more information it is hard to recommend something for your needs?
    just like something if i put an address in it gives me the directions and says them as im going, like "turn right in 500 ft" or whatever, something like that.
  17.    #17  
    1. I never tried to receive MMS myself, my carrier always sends me a web link with the photo, not directly on the device for some reason.

3. I think other people reported that as well in the past. You might want to try another browser on your PC or remove the Facebook (cookie(s)).

6. You don't really need a GPS app, when you start and app that needs GPS it will ask you to enable it. You can enable GPS manually from the Location Services app as well.
    1. i dont get a link, i just dont get anything.

3. not sure what you mean by try another browser or remove facebook cookies (i dont really know anything about computers)

6. don't really know what you mean by this. i mean gps as in like directions.

thanks
    1,7: If they are correct, you'll receive them fine as well as send them fine. The MMS APN server is used for incoming & outgoing MMS. If it works one way, it has to work the other. Have you tried rebooting the device?

2: What settings do you have in your Email Account settings? I don't have a webOS device at present, so I can't step you through easily.

3,4: I see that the HTTPS option is missing for myself as well. Searching around, it appears Facebook removed the option some months ago and isn't putting it back.

6: You're talking about a turn by turn navigation app, correct? Something like a Garmin that you use in your car? Nokia HERE Maps website may work for you. Give it a shot.
  19.    #19  
    1,7: If they are correct, you'll receive them fine as well as send them fine. The MMS APN server is used for incoming & outgoing MMS. If it works one way, it has to work the other. Have you tried rebooting the device?

2: What settings do you have in your Email Account settings? I don't have a webOS device at present, so I can't step you through easily.

3,4: I see that the HTTPS option is missing for myself as well. Searching around, it appears Facebook removed the option some months ago and isn't putting it back.

6: You're talking about a turn by turn navigation app, correct? Something like a Garmin that you use in your car? Nokia HERE Maps website may work for you. Give it a shot.
    update:

1,7. i can send pics but still cant recieve.
    2. The only settings i have for sync are '7 days' and 'as items arrive'
    3,4. randomy i started to be able to see pics on facebook app but it has stopped again but i am able to post pics to facebook app now.
    5. going to try to do upgrade.
    6. going to keep trying here website (everytime ive tried it so far it doesnt load correctly

i think that my connection to the internet is not very good and alot of my problems are stemming from this, i have noticed a setting by my internet options called VPN, is this something i should activiate or change?
    I'm just going to chip in with the simple stuff. Maybe you know this already, but you keep writing that you don't understand things and aren't techy. Sorry if it sounds patronising.

Your phone and it's operating system are no longer manufactured or particularly supported by Hewlett Packard. There is a marketplace thread here if you wish to sell it and buy something more up to date (that your local phone shop may be more interested in helping you with). If you wish to continue with this phone and it seems you do, you will have to get a bit techy - but you don't have to be a computer genius. You are in the right place and have already made some progress.

I'd guess that you have a functioning app catalogue, so you must have already updated the security certificate last July. Easy!

The other site that will be of use is Main Page - WebOS Internals . If you don't already know, you can find out:
    A) How to put your phone in developer mode
    B) How to run webOS Quick Install on your computer
    C) How to use B to install Preware on your phone. Preware is a second app catalogue of 'homemade' apps made by the clever people answering your questions. There are also small 'patches' you can install to change/improve how webOS works.

When your phone gets very 'sick' you can use the webOS Doctor. It will completely reinstall webOS. You need to select the correct one for your webOS version, model of phone (i.e. Veer) & carrier. Using this is generally a last resort fix. The upgrade to 2.2.4 you want, as mentioned above, was never officially released for the Veer. Again, as above, to upgrade, you will need to go through a process of creating a 'meta' or custom doctor file by assembling parts of other doctors. The license of the software, means that although it can be freely downloaded, no one can mess with & redistribute it. So you have to do the work yourself. I once had to doctor my phone. I'm sure the instructions work well, but I'd be nervous about meta-doctoring - fortunately, my devices are all 2.2.4.

It may be that there are sufficient patches in Preware and on this forum to fix most of your issues without an upgrade. I can't offer an opinion on the best course of action.

Here are my answers to the easy questions:

Your email is set to display the last 7 days of emails from that particular account. It is constantly syncing because it displays new emails 'as they arrive'. Unless you absolutely have to view every email as it arrives, try setting this to 15 or 30mins or whatever suits...

In the Preware catalogue you will find a googlemaps app made by 72ka. This will do navigation if you have an internet connection. It will also interface with an app called 'Navit' - you can find a location with Google maps, then send it to Navit. The advantage of Navit is that you can download maps to your phone and navigate without an internet connection. The interface is poor and non-intuitive, but the navigation works well. I often search with gmaps at home (on wifi), then send to Navit before I leave. There is a 'Navit maps' app - to download the maps you need and Navit itself can also be added to 'just type' to search and start the app (internet connection needed for that bit). 72ka, the googlemaps developer, has taken on the Navit for webOS project, so the interface will hopefully improve.

GPS is the satellite receiver in your phone. Either the official Google or Bing maps app should be included on your phone and will use it's data to locate - I'm not sure if they still work, but well, see above: Unofficial google maps is better anyway. Streetview!

SSL is Secure Sockets Layer. It encrypts data sent between you and a website - you can tell it's in use when the web address is "https://..." rather than "http://...". Many websites have increased security after recent concerns and an official upgrade for webOS to use this isn't going to happen, so members of the community offer fixes where they can.

You already have made progress with MMS and Facebook. If you take the time to carefully read and apply the instructions, you may find you are quite techy after all. I hope I've supplied a simple explanation to help make sense of the smart advice you are already getting.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/23/2014 at 01:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast