Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By horzel
  1.    #1  
    I just bought a new AT&T Veer unlocked. I live in Europe (Austria) and am just learning how to get my Veer up and running for the first time. But, I must say I am a little confused. So I hope some of you can answer a few questions I have... thanks!

    1) My Veer is unlocked so I put in my Austrian SIM and turned it on. It's wants me to setup a HP Profile but it fails to do so (even when I put in the APN settings). I figured maybe HP Servers are no more, so I tired the code in the dial pad to put it in 'developer mode'. I believe I would now need to use a tool called 'Impostah' to create a profile. Is this correct? Is this really my only option and an HP Profile can no longer be created the official way?

    2) Is updating to WebOS 2.2.4 using the doctor worthwhile/needed or should I just leave it on 2.2.1? Also, I noticed here there are two versions, one for AT&T and one for EU - my Veer is originally AT&T but is unlocked and I'm in the EU so I guess I should use the EU version?

    3) I'm a bit confused by on the status of the HP servers and App Catalogue - are they still running? Once my veer is running can I still get apps? Are homebrew apps the only option and available via a different source?

    Apologies for all the questions! I'm love the look of this little veer and am really keen to start using it

    Thanks in advance for any help with the above. If there is anything else I missed and should know please do let me know.

    Mike
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrzywacz View Post
    I just bought a new AT&T Veer unlocked. I live in Europe (Austria) and am just learning how to get my Veer up and running for the first time. But, I must say I am a little confused. So I hope some of you can answer a few questions I have... thanks!

    1) My Veer is unlocked so I put in my Austrian SIM and turned it on. It's wants me to setup a HP Profile but it fails to do so (even when I put in the APN settings). I figured maybe HP Servers are no more, so I tired the code in the dial pad to put it in 'developer mode'. I believe I would now need to use a tool called 'Impostah' to create a profile. Is this correct? Is this really my only option and an HP Profile can no longer be created the official way?
    My Veer is not connected to a carrier, however, the palm servers are still active and fully functional, and I can create new profiles (tested today), so unless you do not have a data plan or it is not configured, then maybe your Austrian SIM is not configured correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by mgrzywacz View Post
    2) Is updating to WebOS 2.2.4 using the doctor worthwhile/needed or should I just leave it on 2.2.1? Also, I noticed here there are two versions, one for AT&T and one for EU - my Veer is originally AT&T but is unlocked and I'm in the EU so I guess I should use the EU version?
    As you are an AT&T device only they AT&T doctor will work, there are ways to meta-doctor the EU to work on an AT&T device, but this might be more effort.

    Also the official Doctor from Palm is webOS 2.1.2 for AT&T and webOS 2.1.1 for EU, although they both should have the same carrier database.

    The webOS 2.2.3/4 upgrades to me are worth it, but to others it was not it is more a choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by mgrzywacz View Post
    3) I'm a bit confused by on the status of the HP servers and App Catalogue - are

    they still running? Once my veer is running can I still get apps? Are homebrew apps the only option and available via a different source?

    Apologies for all the questions! I'm love the look of this little veer and am really keen to start using it

    Thanks in advance for any help with the above. If there is anything else I missed and should know please do let me know.

    Mike
    The App catalog (once the certificate is updated), and the App Catalog App is updated, works just fine on my Veer (so I assume it would on yours, YMMV)
  3. #3  
    I think that the 2.2.4 Update is really only worth it if you have a touchpad to go along with it, or you absofruitly need integrated Skype
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  4.    #4  
    Many thanks for all the info John, much appreciated. I think I might try a different sim from another provider to get past the activation and then put my sim in - maybe this is a way round. I'm glad to hear the servers and app catalogue are still running

    Thanks Boovish for your thoughts on updating - I think I might follow your advice and not update for now just to keep things simple.
  5. #5  
    Welcome to webOS!

    You just got one of the best little phones ever made. Enjoy it while you can!

    Tips:

    Read a lot on this forum. It is the last great resource in the US but a couple other forums exist, i think German and Chinese.

    Find the steps (here) to update the certificate so you can communicate with the hp server and cat. It is easy and worth it.

    Don't worry about the 2.2.4. It's not critical at all.

    Install WOSQI on your computer so you can install Preware on your phone. Then you have access to the catalog of home brew apps. 95% of what I've installed came from there, not the hp cat.

    If you have already put in developer mode, your phone has a default profile of " Dr. Skipped first use ". You will want to over ride that. Using impostah to do that is a great idea. You can definitely make new profiles still.

    Forum hero Herrie is one of our remaining active Veer experts. Read threads here and look for some of his input about veer specific issues.

    The few people who still check in here are awesome and knowledgeable. But all the info you seek is here so make your self at home. It does help to use Google as your search rather than this site's search bar though.

    Be prepared for people to ask you about your world's tiniest smartphone! It's a great conversation starter, Ha!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrzywacz View Post
    Many thanks for all the info John, much appreciated. I think I might try a different sim from another provider to get past the activation and then put my sim in - maybe this is a way round. I'm glad to hear the servers and app catalogue are still running

    Thanks Boovish for your thoughts on updating - I think I might follow your advice and not update for now just to keep things simple.
    Well, you can bypass activation.
    I just did that on a veer that I'm planing to use on my upcoming trip overseas.
    Following this guide:
    Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

    Before I used the left over transplant for my frankenpre but my original pre- start having issues with the touchscreen and I wanted to play with veer
    I bought it used and it was registered to somebody else. So I reset it and since I don't have a working sim and just want to get it all ready and patched up for when I use it I had to follow the steps there.
    Although it says th elast step will only work for CDMA it works just fine for GSM.
    Just register using Impostah , activate your webOS profile than reset it and after the reboot you'll be able to connect to wifi(you have to connect to wif acter the activation step)
  7.    #7  
    Thank you so much for the extra info TJs11thPre and 60RH! I'm already loving this community!!

    I know what you mean about the size of the Veer TJs11thPre! I haven't even started using it and people are already interested in it! It's such a cute and fantastic looking phone. Such a shame these awesome devices and webOS was abandoned. I'm coming from an old iPhone, wanted a hardware keyboard and couldn't resist the look of the Veer - it's only days and I'm not using it fully yet but I already prefer the Veer! Haha!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrzywacz View Post
    Thank you so much for the extra info TJs11thPre and 60RH! I'm already loving this community!!

    I know what you mean about the size of the Veer TJs11thPre! I haven't even started using it and people are already interested in it! It's such a cute and fantastic looking phone. Such a shame these awesome devices and webOS was abandoned. I'm coming from an old iPhone, wanted a hardware keyboard and couldn't resist the look of the Veer - it's only days and I'm not using it fully yet but I already prefer the Veer! Haha!
    I can hear your enthusiasm and can tell you're already hooked. The phone is a delight. If i could rerelease it as the "anti-slab" phone i would and bet it would sell like crazy now that 4-5" slabs are so common and boring.

    I've said this before about the river rock style:

  9.    #9  
    lol ..I like your metaphor TJs11thPre - so true, bricks are everywhere out there!

    I'm still loving the veer, but am yet to get it to connect to 3G here in Austria on the Bob network... wondering if anyone can help give me a pointer...

    I've input the APN setting in manual mode in the settings area from the dial pad (it tells me they are invalid but I click the 'use anyway' button). The setting for the Bob network are in the pdf below. Unfortunately it still doesn't show a 3G symbol at the top of the screen. The setting seem to disappear and 'manual mode' is off each time I go to look so it's like it's not saving it anyway?

    http://konfigurator.bob.at/otauserbo...sanleitung.pdf

    I've seen this thread here that talks about editing a carrier network database file in webOS on the device:

    Modifying WebOS carrier network settings

    Is this maybe my answer? I'm a total noob with this stuff so don't want to unnecessarily venture down these routes without good reason to.

    I hope I can figure out the reason for no 3G/Edge/Data on my veer as it's pretty important for me to have it when out and about.

    Thanks in advance for any advice
  10.    #10  
    Ah it's ok, I got it working by editing the carrierdb.json file - just thought I'd post this in case it's helpful to others
  11. #11  
    Good that you got it working. 2.1.2 is more picky for some reason. It doesn't always want to store the APN settings properly and you need to edit the carrierdb.json which is quite a pain. 2.2.4 work better but has some other issues...

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  12.    #12  
    Thanks Herrie, I'm trying to avoid updating to 2.2.4 due to the issues others have reported with call issues etc.

    Another thing I should add in regards to my 3G issues is that I had to enable data roaming - I guess something to do with the fact my veer is a US AT&T Veer and I'm using a European sim?
  13. #13  
    The phone locks the country based on the first sim entered. So when there was an AT&T sim in it before sometime (or another carrier from another country), you would have to enable data roamimg for it to work in your country.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  14. #14  
    Sorry Herrie, but that does not make sense to me. Using my phone with a Dutch/Hungarian/German/Rumanian/Serbian prepaid SIM card works without enabling Data Roaming, as long as I have the SIM for that country in there. I have not experienced this country lock, concerning the SIM card.

    (Palm Profile is a different story)
    Gwidion likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. What made you like webOS to begin with?
    By boovish in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04/20/2013, 06:14 PM
  2. Please help a total WebOS noob with his Veer
    By hotnikkelz in forum HP Veer
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01/12/2012, 06:02 PM
  3. veer noob
    By sububby in forum HP Veer
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10/17/2011, 09:19 PM
  4. A noob to WebOS
    By cyberdalek in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08/26/2011, 12:17 AM
  5. A little help for a WebOS Noob
    By tomlamb in forum HP Veer
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06/09/2011, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions