1.    #1  
    How hard would it be to create an app that checks a static URL (only if there is wifi conn) every 5 minutes and if this simple URL has the text 'alert' in it, it would fork a ringtone notification ? and keep doing it every 5 mins until that URL didn't return alert ? This is something I need since a text alerts only once.
    Thanks
    Well, there's a few ways that this can probably be done ..

Setup an activity with the ActivityManager service to trigger at 5 minute intervals, and only if Wifi is available, and have it trigger a service call or application launch that will check that URL, and play the sound

or, because I'm not sure if activityManager can trigger at intervals like that, set the Alarm service to trigger at 5 minute intervals, to launch the app, have the app check connectionManager for Wifi status, then check the website, then play the sound.

or, you could just setup an app that does all of it, with a setInterval(1000 * 60 * 5) to run it every 5 minutes

If you can trigger it via activityManager, it will be the cheapest on battery usage, since the device won't bother waking up if it's in a low power state and the wifi isn't connected. If you do it all via the app, it's easiest to turn on and off.

Not very many devs have much experience with activityManager, but it is extremely powerful if you learn to make use of it. It might even be possible to do it entirely with activityManager.

A word of warning if you try with the Alarm service (and this may also apply to activityManager, if it can run on intervals), Alarm can be very finicky about time intervals less than 5 minutes. I've definitely seen it infinitely loop the alarm if the interval is set too short, and I think I've also seen it never trigger in some situations when it's set too short.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by H Bosch View Post
    How hard would it be to create an app that checks a static URL (only if there is wifi conn) every 5 minutes and if this simple URL has the text 'alert' in it, it would fork a ringtone notification ? and keep doing it every 5 mins until that URL didn't return alert ? This is something I need since a text alerts only once.
    Thanks
    I have a patch installed on my Pre3 that repeats text message notifications, if that's what you're looking for. It's the Advance System Prefs-Messaging Prefs. You can set it to repeat 3, 5, 10, 15, 30 times or infinitely.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.