Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By laingman
  • 1 Post By laingman
  1.    #1  
    I've been sticking by my Pixi+ for quite a while now; without the doubt, the absolute best phone I have ever had the pleasure of using. I love it to death, but in recent months it has begun to really show its age, and though I hate to admit it, I know the end of its useful life is on the horizon. In the meantime, Govnah has given it a nice perk-me up.

I've been looking at a few different BlackBerry models for replacement, but they just seem too pricey for what they offer in terms of features and specs. I hadn't even thought about the Veer until I stumbled upon a mislabeled eBay listing for one. On a lark, I looked up further pricing for the model and saw they are well within my price range. I dearly love webOS and really would prefer to stay a part of it, but I have a couple questions before I start seriously considering investing any more money into a painfully dead platform.

First, one of my main issues with my Pixi+ is the trouble it has smoothly loading and navigating most any webpage that isn't largely text based: Google Image search's, news sites and forums have it choking pretty badly. Will the upgraded (slightly, I recognize) specs of the Veer do anything to alleviate this?

I know the Veer runs webOS 2.1 if I'm not mistaken; trouble is, I'm having a fair bit of difficulty distinguishing what changes were made between this version, and my Pixi+ running 1.4.5 that sets them apart. Are there any new features? Any 2.x - only apps? Under the hood changes?

I'm a fairly light smartphone user; I do wish the app selection wasn't so miserable, but for the most part my device is used mainly for texting and talking, with Facebook and web browsing being the majority of the workload. If the Veer can offer a noticeably improved experience, then I have no problem forking out the money for one. I'm just worried that instead of being my planned "jump" to a more powerful phone, the Veer might be more of a "hop" to largely the same thing.
    "Stay in school. Lie to your teachers, but stay in school." - Billy Corgan
    Start here Review: AT&T HP Veer | webOS Nation for a Veer review

then go here webOS 2.0 review for webOS 2.0 overview and then here for a webOS 2.1 overview https://developer.palm.com/index.php...26view=article

Suffice it to say that the performance increase between the Pixi and the Veer is MUCH MUCH MUCH improved. Now, understanding that you're going from the Pixi to a slider-phone, why not look at the Pre3 as an option? It will feel much larger than the Pixi but the Veer feels even smaller compared to the Pixi despite it's thickness increase. The Pre3 still fits nicely in the hand and the pocket and it's 1.4GHz processor does very well for web-browsing (specifically Google image searches). Either the Veer or the Pre3 and heck, even the Pre2 are very nice upgrades to the Pixi in terms of specs. The Pixi is very light so whichever phone you go to is going to feel heavier but they're not bad at all.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    the Veer will be very familiar to you. The screen size is the same as the Pixi. When the slider is open, the phone is the same size as the Pixi.

As Alan said, it is much faster. practically no lag on any of the apps, with the exception of texts, which can take a few moments to open in 2.1. It's not a big deal.

You are familiar with the ecosystem so I don't have to warn that there isn't much development going on. I have been using the Veer for 2 years and it is a solid, well built phone. You didn't mention your network. It doesn't run on the CDMA networks.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Start here Review: AT&T HP Veer | webOS Nation for a Veer review

then go here webOS 2.0 review for webOS 2.0 overview and then here for a webOS 2.1 overview https://developer.palm.com/index.php...26view=article

Suffice it to say that the performance increase between the Pixi and the Veer is MUCH MUCH MUCH improved. Now, understanding that you're going from the Pixi to a slider-phone, why not look at the Pre3 as an option? It will feel much larger than the Pixi but the Veer feels even smaller compared to the Pixi despite it's thickness increase. The Pre3 still fits nicely in the hand and the pocket and it's 1.4GHz processor does very well for web-browsing (specifically Google image searches). Either the Veer or the Pre3 and heck, even the Pre2 are very nice upgrades to the Pixi in terms of specs. The Pixi is very light so whichever phone you go to is going to feel heavier but they're not bad at all.
    Good to hear the performance is much improved. As for the size, my philosophy with phones is the smaller the better; the Pre was always a bit too large for my tastes, and the Pre 3 doesn't help that issue a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    the Veer will be very familiar to you. The screen size is the same as the Pixi. When the slider is open, the phone is the same size as the Pixi.

As Alan said, it is much faster. practically no lag on any of the apps, with the exception of texts, which can take a few moments to open in 2.1. It's not a big deal.

You are familiar with the ecosystem so I don't have to warn that there isn't much development going on. I have been using the Veer for 2 years and it is a solid, well built phone. You didn't mention your network. It doesn't run on the CDMA networks.
    I got my Pixi+ in July of 2010, when the future was looking quite bright for webOS. I'm all too aware of the near-terminal state of the ecosystem, having witnessed every moment of HP throwing it to the curb and letting it rot away.

My Pixi+ currently has service with a Straight Talk SIM, I don't anticipate too much of an issue transferring the service. *knock on wood*

One last question, if ya'll would be so kind; I've always found the Pixi keyboard to be much more comfortable and natural to use than the Pre line; the key presses are softer and have longer travel and consequently have great physical feedback, whereas the Pre always felt kind of cheap and clunky. Is the Veer keyboard, being a slider, more akin to the Pre, or does it try to stay closer to its roots in the Pixi?
    "Stay in school. Lie to your teachers, but stay in school." - Billy Corgan
    The Veer keyboard is very nice. The keys are raised slightly more than the Pre line. You'll like it. If straight talk works through ATT you'll be set.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    The Veer keyboard is surprisingly easy to type on for being so small.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/27/2014 at 06:34 PM.
    Time to add veer to your dictionary. Pretty good laugh tho
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Looks like you caught me before I fixed it. Sad thing is that I did undo the autocorrect, but there is a bug in Forums where it doesn't detect the change when you undo a correction, so even though it is right on your screen, the wrong text gets sent to the server. Gotta figure out why! If you type some more it usually is okay, but not always it seems.

Oh, and I added it to my dictionary after that post.
    One of the most pleasant surprises for me when going from a Pre+ and Pre2 to the Veer was how improved is the feel of the keyboard. The presses seem more precise, defined, more certain, and the consistency is improved. I won't say it's perfect in that there is slight variation in the pressure needed to type each character, but compared to the Pre+ and Pre2, where the sensitivity variation could be perhaps 50% between keys, and some key presses would be either ignored or result in double-typed characters, it's night and day.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Looks like you caught me before I fixed it. Sad thing is that I did undo the autocorrect, but there is a bug in Forums where it doesn't detect the change when you undo a correction, so even though it is right on your screen, the wrong text gets sent to the server. Gotta figure out why! If you type some more it usually is okay, but not always it seems.

Oh, and I added it to my dictionary after that post.
    I wonder where they got this dictionary from to be correcting veer when it's a real word. And how come a phone that has wife (wifi) don't know that word. Hmmm
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAbstracted View Post

My Pixi+ currently has service with a Straight Talk SIM, I don't anticipate too much of an issue transferring the service. *knock on wood*
    My wife uses the Veer on Straight talk and it works well. If you have been using a Pixi all this time, you are going to be amazed by the Veer.
    pixi to veer is one of the most logical progressions in webOS land.

but make sure you put it on a network with H+ service to take advantage of the highest possible data speeds. with that done, you should love a Veer just as much if not more than your pixi.

remember the limitations though, no camera flash, no battery swapping, proprietary charging cable you must have to charge (or touchstones)
    I forgot to mention to install Govnah and crank it up! the Veer runs very well overclocked.