Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wideeyed85
  • 1 Post By wideeyed85
  1.    #1  
    Thinking of getting my wife a veer, just have some questions on its usability and durability, she's used webOS devices in the past before, outside of my collection, she had a pixi, which she somehow managed to kill. She is a typical non techie average consumer, the usual flashiness of electronics don't appeal to her, which is why she has stuck with her blackberry for a while, even though its falling apart. She doesn't want a full touch device, not to mention it'd have to be replaced in short order,she drops her phones often, case or no case. I know the build quality of the veer is much better than my sprint pre, but I know with my pre and pre3, when she's used them, she opens them hard and slams them shut, and will do so with the veer anytime she gets bored.

So, I'm wondering if long term:

is the slider still tight and Oreo free after prolonged/hard use

any noticeable cracks/damage/screen issues, I know its covered in soft touch material it'd be hard to tell.

random device resets if slammed shut/repeatedly. i know it has a "non removable battery" how does that affect usability if/when the phone locks up.

how does the magnetic USB/ charging cable fare over time, if anything I still have my touchstone to make it easier, since everything new to her ends up being stupid.

would it be better to meta it 2.2.4 or leave it at what it is out of the box as far as bugs/battery life

Thanks for your time guys

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Palm treo 700w wm5 (sprint), Palm treo 800w wm6.1(sprint), Palm treo pro wm 6.5.3 (sprint), Palm pre webOS 2.1(sprint), Palm pixi webOS 1.4.5 (sprint), Htc arrive wp nodo (sprint), Nokia lumia 900 wp 7.8 (ATT), Hp touchpad w/ LunaCE 4.9.10, Hp pre3 2.2.4 (ATT-unlocked)
    Although my Veer does not get used as a cell phone...

As far as the design/build the Veer is a great device very stable and the cables/ear plug magnet work well when needed, no oreo effect that I can find...

That being said, use a Touchstone to charge at least it has a full Touchstone back and is held nicely to charge (leaving the magnet things away), use Bluetooth for playing/music private calls...

webOS 2.2.4 for Skype integration, yes you loose stereo output from physical plug, but works with Bluetooth audio, also there is a fix for the resets (for some carriers issues), never had issues with resets but my Veer is not connected to any Carrier...

Last but not least, the even though the battery was stated that is was non-removable Rod has proved in his take apart, it is removable and replaceable pick up a few spares if you want to have extra's...

Besides that I have the PixiPlus, PrePlus, Pre2, and Pre3 (all Verizon), if the Veer was able to be a Verizon device I would use that.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply, we have att so it'd be used as phone right out of the box, Skype integration isn't a big deal, unless one of us is out of town, but she has my wifi touchpad for that if needed, I know you can remove the battery, I've looked into spares, but its more the ability to readily swap out a battery if needed, just trying to weigh the options

Palm treo 700w wm5 (sprint), Palm treo 800w wm6.1(sprint), Palm treo pro wm 6.5.3 (sprint), Palm pre webOS 2.1(sprint), Palm pixi webOS 1.4.5 (sprint), Htc arrive wp nodo (sprint), Nokia lumia 900 wp 7.8 (ATT), Hp touchpad w/ LunaCE 4.9.10, Hp pre3 2.2.4 (ATT-unlocked)
    i've found having the menu patch to toggle on/off the data connection and the brightness menu patch make a huge difference to the battery. My usage of my Veer is fairly light on a daily basis, i'm not sure how that compares to your wife, but I find I typically have between 50% - 75% charge left thanks mainly to those two patches. Admittedly, it is a pain having to switch on/off the data, especially if the patch doesn't respond, but it does make a big difference to your battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by wideeyed85 View Post
    1: is the slider still tight and Oreo free after prolonged/hard use

2: any noticeable cracks/damage/screen issues, I know its covered in soft touch material it'd be hard to tell.

3: random device resets if slammed shut/repeatedly. i know it has a "non removable battery" how does that affect usability if/when the phone locks up.

4. how does the magnetic USB/ charging cable fare over time, if anything I still have my touchstone to make it easier, since everything new to her ends up being stupid.

5: would it be better to meta it 2.2.4 or leave it at what it is out of the box as far as bugs/battery life
    Used the Veer 2 Years on daily basis:
    1: Slider is solid. No Oreo
    2. No cracks/damages/screen issues
    3. No random resets, but I rebooted the Veer on a daily basis to free memory with an app. Never had a problem to reset.
    UPDATE: Not true: Had once the problem of the "?" after putting on touchstone. Switching on and of and putting on touchstone, suddenly it charged again.
    4. Does not charge anymore with magnetic charger. No headphone with it. But I use bluetooth and Touchstone
    5. Never tried
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the input guys, she's hard on phones so hearing its been good long term is nice to hear, as far as usage goes, she's probably your average smartphone user, uses it for medium duty texting, and constantly on facebook, she doesn't use the app, she generally goes to the website, she never foes into the app catalog, be it on any device she's had, generally I'm the one that does to see what's there and download I might find useful for her, only for her to never use it. I did order her one last night, so hopefully it works out, hell, if she doesn't like it, i have a new webOS toy to play with

I've been trying to talk my lady into trying out my Veer for a while now, but she's dubious about it's size. She's beaten a Pre- and a Pre2 all to hell now, and I just want her to have a phone that works.. but she wants a larger keyboard .. and there's NOTHING in Android (AT&T) land with a keyboard.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, right there too, only she doesn't care about the size, she just doesnt want anything big, or completely touch, which she was willing to try until she realized there wasn't really anything she liked, or was willing to learn to use, which is fine, to each there own, but now the issue is that the cost of the phone is actually tangible compared to the "lack" of cost on a carrier subsidy, since I ordered her one bnib this morning, we'll see what happens, hopefully the shorter "throw" of the slider will save it future come, I just hope she likes it is all

Grabber5.0 likes this.
    1. Had a problem with my slider. There was a time when the screen would go black when I opened the Veer's slider. But the problem eventually disappeared on its own.

2. No screen problems.

3. I don't remember experiencing random resets, but the stock OS is a bit laggy.

4. No charging issues

5. In my case, doctoring to 2.2.4 helped improve speed and performance. It also fixed the problem with inability to fetch Yahoo! Mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Forgot to mention, I do find that there is sometimes an echo effect when you're on the phone with someone. Not at my end , but at their end. If you open the slider that seems to solve the issue. I guess the mic maybe picks up the sound coming out of the headphone speaker? It is mentioned here in the forums somewhere. But like I said, opening the slider works for me.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks I'll have to let her know, but before she gets the phone I'll definitely have my hands all over it, it is a new webOS device, so of course it'll be patched, poked prodded and over clocked, even just installing uberkernel helps, but if I have to meta 2.2.4 I'll have to do that too, thanks for the input

The mic is located near the keyboard. With it open it is unobstructed. With the slider closed it is muffled and has the echo.
  13.    #13  
    So my wife's bnib veer finally came in last night, I knew it was small bit holy geez is it tiny, makes my pre 3 and 920 absolutely massive in hand after handling the veer for a bit, much less the touchpad, wow.

First impressions:

Keyboard though visually cramped is very easy to use and tap away on, to me, very comparable to the original pre, wife has had no issues using it thus far

Much like my pre3 it requires double taps on most things after wake up, wife won't like that much, one of those kinda grin and bear it kind of things I suppose

Its actually locked up on me a couple times which was both expected and unexpected, expected during loading of the profile and trying to pull down info from an almost 3yr old dormant profile, unexpected that upon reboot it got stuck in a Luna boot loop, which it came out of on its own, it also got stuck on the solid hp boot logo for a good 45 min. before I restarted it and got very warm to the touch

The root certificate and app catalog refuse to update, changed dates, deleted app catalog, any number of things, still won't update, I attempted to pull the info off my pre3 for the new app catalog and root cert, still to no avail, now it just asks to restore the old app catalog, so I have no idea of that actually helped or impeded the root cert issue, will probably try a doctor tonight, hopefully that might help

Right out of the box, for a webOS device it actually booted rather quickly, maybe 30-45 sec., well, until I loaded it up with patches, exasperated with trying to solve the root cert. issue, now its a good 1:30- 2 min boot time assuming it doesn't, freeze or boot loop on start up, which is still seemingly satisfactory for a webOS device

So I'm going to search the forums a bit more see what I can do, nothing worse than selling someone on something and then it not working as described

Grabber5.0 likes this.