• 1 Post By c_legaspi
  • 2 Post By purplepansy
  • 3 Post By mjensen71
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By OrlandoAlex
  • 1 Post By tracks914
  • 1 Post By purplepansy
  1.    #1  
    After giving a Samsung Ace 2 with Android a try for about 6 weeks, ( http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...xy-ace-ii.html )
    I went back to my Veer a couple of days ago.
    Here is my take.
    Veer is small, I still love it. Keyboard is awesome, I still love it.
    Veer is fast, much faster than the Android on the Ace.(1ghz single core)
    All apps load faster on Veer (and on Veer I mean WebOS).
    Veer doesn't need an app to shut down apps.
    Veer Mail app is better.
    Veer doesn't feel like I am carrying a tablet in my pocket.
    Yes the screen is small and hard to surf on but it the price to pay for size.
    Veer has the Palm flashing notification light and when on the table or charger doesn't have to be flicked on to see if there are notifications.

Too bad there wasn't an official upgrade to 2.24? I just might do the unofficial one now.
    A flash on the Veer camera would have been nice.
    For size I think I should look for a Pre 3 in trade for my Galaxy Ace.

But I'm ROCKIN my Veer AGAIN!
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Too bad there wasn't an official upgrade to 2.24? I just might do the unofficial one now.
    Iīve flashed my Veer to unofficial 2.2.4. It runīs ok, but itīs not vital. To get a Pre3 might be a good idea. I love mine and itīs my daily driver.

The Veer has itīs appearance when we go out at the weekend, e.g. to the theatre or something like that. For daily use itīs a little bit too small for me, but itīs always astonishing others, who canīt believe, that this little thing is a complete smartphone .
    tracks914 and TJs11thPre like this.
    me too. bouncing back and forth between my bb q10 and veer. still love the veer, just wish it was lte on tmobile
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    After giving a Samsung Ace 2 with Android a try for about 6 weeks, ( http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...xy-ace-ii.html )
    Here is my take.
    Veer Mail app is better.
    Veer has the Palm flashing notification light and when on the table or charger doesn't have to be flicked on to see if there are notifications.

When my family (all Android Cyborgs) tell me how much better their phones are than my Pre- and how WebOS can't do this, and WebOS can't do that I remind them that my phone is the first iteration of the Pre not the fourth (Pre-, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3). Were I not on a Spring Family plan I would have myself a Pre 3!
    Last edited by purplepansy; 01/12/2014 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Emoticon didn't display
    TJs11thPre and Grabber5.0 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    When my family (all Android Cyborgs) tell me how much better their phones are than my Pre- and how WebOS can't do this, and WebOS can't do that I remind them that my phone is the first iteration of the Pre not the fourth (Pre-, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3). Were I not on a Spring Family plan I would have myself a Pre 3!
    Eh, buy one anyway. I did. Feed the addiction. You don't need to get service on it.. But there are as you go prepaid options for that too.
    Love hearing that you've come back to your Veer. It reinforces what I've been thinking, that I'm really not missing out on much by not joining the "android, iOS revolution".
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    if you meant to say Sprint family plan, you should be using a converted Pre2!
    ashi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cipher View Post
    Iīve flashed my Veer to unofficial 2.2.4. It runīs ok, but itīs not vital.
    I've flashed my wifes Veer to the unofficial 2.2.4 two months ago. But now the Veer is rebooting almost daily. Does your Veer also reboots spontaneously since 2.2.4?
    Quote Originally Posted by gespy View Post
    I've flashed my wifes Veer to the unofficial 2.2.4 two months ago. But now the Veer is rebooting almost daily. Does your Veer also reboots spontaneously since 2.2.4?
    This is due to a bug in the modem firmware. There is a patch somewhere in the 2.2.3/2.2.4 Veer topic that MIGHT solve it!
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    This is due to a bug in the modem firmware. There is a patch somewhere in the 2.2.3/2.2.4 Veer topic that MIGHT solve it!
    Hi Herrie,

Thank you for your reply, but all I could find was the patch against rebooting during a call:

WebOS 2.2.3 is already there for Veer

I installed thant one, but it did not help against the spontaneously reboots.

Did not find a patch for a modem bug. Do you know how the patch is called or where I can find him?

Alvast bedankt,
    Groeten uit Amsterdam
    No it's that one (during call). Spontaneus reboots I haven't seen with 2.2.3/2.2.4 and I've seen at least 10 different Veers with it. I suspect some hardware issue maybe? You could try to re-doctor? P.s. Also from A'dam ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I think Veer had compatibility problems with different carriers. I used to have connected to my main carrier, and it really had weird behaviours (unable to place call, unable to receive calls, random restarts, random shutdowns, etc.) Then I inserted a SIM from another carrier, and now I don't have problems, it will restart every once a week, but I think that could be for another reason.
    So I believe the problem is around compatibility with the network of the carrier.
    The network where I had most of the problems was from Huawei, the other carrier uses Ericsson.
    Quote Originally Posted by gespy View Post
    No, my Veer runīs like a charm. No sudden reboots. Iīm using the european version, my carrier is Telefonica/O2.
    Here is my take.
    Veer Mail app is better.

I, too, am back on the Veer, still quite excited as I've only had it for two days. I was using a Nokia Lumia 521 as my daily driver. Here's my take, to mirror the original post...

Windows Phone, for being made by a major operating system manufacturer, is shockingly unpolished. It is not ready for prime time. So much is missing from it, which they could chalk up to a "streamlined, simple, novice-friendly" OS, but personally I think they aimed too low if that's the case. Most frustrating was the way it handled storage... the phone has an SD card slot, but access is severely limited, to the point that apps can't access that storage and you can't access things downloaded by the apps. The problem is so severe that one app developer went to the length of building a WiFi-based Web server into his app just so you could access your files by connecting to the phone through your Web browser, to get around the storage restrictions. That's just absurd.

webOS phones, all lacking external storage, are so much easier to use for file access. You can add and remove photos, music, documents, videos with ease.

Windows Phone's notifications were also a point of frustration, as they were too difficult to acknowledge/work with. They were displayed in live tiles instead, which is a nice aesthetically pleasant paradigm, but the OS really needs to embrace a notification scheme like what webOS and now Android are using.

There were plenty of reasons to like the phone, and the build quality was quite good. I actually feel sorry for Nokia because it seems like they backed the wrong horse, or at least a horse lacking in the motivation to win the race. For being a Microsoft product, you would think they had the manpower to accelerate the development of the OS, but it really seems like it not only isn't keeping pace with Android, it's losing ground, and I'm just talking OS development. App counts, user base, I don't care as much about that. When the apps Windows Phone does have crash left and right... *that* I do care about.

The webOS experience, like Tracks914 said, is better. Apps load faster than on the Lumia, notifications are easier to use, it actually has the little notification light bar at the bottom so you don't have to turn the screen on to check if you have any messages, it has a physical keyboard which is just faster to type on, no way around it. I really tried to do the slab phone thing, and got accustomed to the on-screen keyboard, but can't deny there is a speed problem. It's made up for by a pleasantly intuitive auto-complete feature in Windows Phone, but auto-complete isn't good with proper nouns. I do miss the suite of voice commands the Lumia had, for texting and Web searches, but at least the Veer's got voice dial, which works well.

I especially enjoy the Veer's size. I own a Pre3 but stopped using it in part because it's just so darn bulky. I don't know if any portrait slider was ever made that was bigger than the Pre3. It's got a nice screen but too much heft behind it to be comfortable in a pocket. That was part of the Lumia's problem -- it had a 4-inch screen but always felt a bit too much, even though it was lighter than the Pre3. The sharper corners of the Lumia were unpleasant, too, unlike the natural feel of the river stone Palm design. One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is that Palm really got it right with the quality of the audio on its phones. The Lumia didn't -- and I don't know if it's hardware, software, or both, but I did some side-by-side testing and webOS phones just have much clearer, better-defined sound.

I'm happy to be back with the world's smallest smartphone, even though it's 3 years old now. It still feels more advanced than Windows Phone, and still is more fun to use than the Android phone I had.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    tracks914 likes this.
  15.    #15  
    I think if more tablet...err I mean big phone users went back to the Veer for just a week, they would have a hard time putting it away. With a few more apps that the newer phones have I think it would still be a relevant phone in the marketplace today.
    It has all the hardware you need today, just needs some more newer software.
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    I think if more tablet...err I mean big phone users went back to the Veer for just a week, they would have a hard time putting it away. With a few more apps that the newer phones have I think it would still be a relevant phone in the marketplace today.
    Funny coincidence that I just read a story in the N.Y. Times today about the trend toward larger phones, now entering as you facetiously referenced the tablet space. An opinion writer in the paper defended the shift, saying it's a natural evolution of the portable computer space, where people who want lighter tablets and more useful smartphones are drawing the lines between the two so close together that we're hitting a nexus point where tablets and phones are the same thing, relegating serious computing to the realm it belongs, that being laptops and desktops.

It was an interesting perspective, but it was written by a woman, and no knocking women as a whole of course, because I know plenty loathe carrying purses, but when the social stigma basically rules out men carrying purses so they can get away with 6 or 7-inch telephones, there is a gender divide on the issue. I suppose if I were large enough that I wore XXL clothes that would inherently have larger pockets, a 6-inch phone might be pocketable, but that's not a practical standard. In my opinion, a phone that significantly deforms a pocket when inserted, especially when seated, is not of a pocketable size.

That said, I'm not toting around a 7-inch tablet, either, so I might be more inclined to merge phone and tablet if I were, because essentially having a paperback book and a phone with you wherever you go could get a bit bothersome.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    One would first have to convince them that the veer is really a smart phone, much less try it for a week.
  18.    #18  
    My Veer isn't the smartest smartphone on the market, but it is smart enough for me. After using the Galaxy for a month, there were a few things I liked, Skype, front facing camera & rear flash, but the trade off for carrying a big phone in my pocket wasn't worth it.
    As for the gender thing, it's easy for a woman to carry a large phone in her purse, not so much for a man, but many men think that the Veer is too small to type on...men that have never tried it that is.
    The galaxy was easier to surf on while sitting in the airport but if I don't have my touchpad, I can still surf on the Veer. It isn't the best surfing experience but it gets the job done.
    Now if someone would write or convert some apps for it like UPC code reading (that works), Snapchat, Skype (for calling not video),
    Not sure if any of these are there for the Pre3???
    Magnetic Flash was looked at but not sure if it ever worked.
    Still looking for a cheap Pre3 to try out. :-P
    Last edited by tracks914; 02/28/2014 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Eh, buy one anyway. I did. Feed the addiction. You don't need to get service on it.. But there are as you go prepaid options for that too.
    OH, I never thought about that. On my way to Ebay.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    if you meant to say Sprint family plan, you should be using a converted Pre2!
    Hard to find an unlocked CDMA version lately.