1.    #1  
    EDIT: app cat restored. but niw i have data but no internet. can someone please help?
    unlocked pre2 and unlocked veer behave exactly the same.

ell i just have a knack for breaking things.

i was trying to update the app cat cert. i wanted to test if wifi fed Pandora had better continuity over BT with 2.1.2 that's on this vs. 2.2.4 with my Pre2.

so i bypassed, impostah logged into my profile, then got app cat access.

but the cat needs an update. but it won't download its update because it needs that very update to do so.

soo i tried to download it from Preware because i read in a thread it was there. But that was a TP thread. Somehow while trying this, i deleted my App Cat application itself. Well how do i restore that, short of a doctoring?

and what's the current preferred dr. version?

i'm going to eat and deal with this in a few hours. Suggestions are appreciated! (for the catalog, not for lunch)
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/26/2013 at 03:08 PM.
  2.    #2  
    progress.

installed all python pieces to unlock on my XP machine, and unlocked successfully after redoctoring to 2.1.2. i dont know what was hanging it up, but it now at least recognizes the t-mo sim.

now i have to figure out how to get the app cat cert updated while its inactive, wifi only, and in devmode. too much obsolete info to comb through. suggestions are welcome!

now do i sign into profile with impostah to get app cat? or do i have to update the cert first? hmmm...
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/21/2013 at 07:35 PM.
    You'll have to sign in to a profile using impostah before you can get to the app catalog to update the cert. That is only because you bypassed activation so are not signed in already. Signing in does not require the new cert. Then just follow HP's institutions here: Root certificate update instructions

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/21/2013 at 09:06 PM.
  4.    #4  
    im in a profile, which shows the phone imei at the site, which shows the email in device info. i signed in w success thru impostah and the app cat opens. the update app will begin but fails. accounts still shows dr. skipped first use, but ive already reset the profile, turned off devmode, rebooted and signed into mine.

sim is in but inactive.

time is somewhere in 2011. im stumped
    Maybe you turned it back too far? I always used an early July 2013 date. I can't believe that it wouldn't be working anymore.

Catalogue update? I just put my time to manual and put it back to 22nd of June and then just install the update; seems to work fine.

Not sure if that's the official way but it works after that.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Long3 View Post
    Catalogue update? I just put my time to manual and put it back to 22nd of June and then just install the update; seems to work fine.

Not sure if that's the official way but it works after that.
    that worked once before. its not working now.

anyone know if i can install apps with impostah? or side load the app somehow? ugh this is so frustrating.

why hasn't anyone put the App Cat Update application in Preware? that would be ideal, no?
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/22/2013 at 08:10 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Maybe you turned it back too far? I always used an early July 2013 date. I can't believe that it wouldn't be working anymore.

*DING DING DING DING!!* THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SUGGESTING THIS. I was going over and over what else could i check that i may have done wrong.

i set the date to July 1, 2013 and tried the whole process again.

IT WORKED. App cat update installed. Reset date to today, apps are installing.

crazy. i guess any ol' date before the cut off is not good enough. i had whatever date it was set at, which was June 2011, probably when the battery died on it before activation.

SO, for any future searchers:

1. WOSQI to install Preware
    2. Preware to install Impostah
    3. Impostah > Activation to sign into Palm Profile
    4. Network Time off, date to JUL 1 2013. (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING THIS EXACTLY)
    5. Download and install App Cat Update
    6. Recorrect time

I also used Impostah to delete the Dr. Skipped Use Account. i don't know if that is also required, but it's one of the things i did.

Ok, next step, attempt to put this unlocked device on T-Mo and test their H+ coverage a year since my last testing with the Pre3. But I can at least start doing wifi testing of Pandora service and BT audio with 2.1.2. These are the things I need to compare between the Veer and FrankenPre2.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ADVICE I RECEIVED HERE AND VIA PM!!

my fellow webOS users are truly the greatest resource and the most valuable part of owning a webOS device these days.

merrry christmas!
    Glad to hear it worked. June 2011 may be before that cert was issued, which is also invalid. That's the only other reason I can think of it failing.
  10.    #10  
    i am still not able to get this phone thing worked out.

i bought a prepaid tmo service. i activated at the store, made a call. i had a 3G symbol and thought it was fine.

i really thought i had brought up a webpage, but it may have been in cache, because since i have not been able to get internet over 3G or edge.

the symbols keep showing up, it's detecting and switching as i travel, from E to 3G. but i have no internet access.

all the account and profile and backup stuff seems to be working fine or registered correctly. no dr. skipped left.

i've redoctored and gone thru it all twice. it shows t-mo, 3G right now, but no data. mms works, pic mail both ways.

brand new sim.

i cant figure out how to do a simple connectivity test with the sim. the sim tools app does nothing. it says no communication available in a generic paragraph.

apns are set to epc.tmobile.com no hyphen. wap.voicestream didnt help. data roaming on or off didnt help. manual or auto didn't help.

suggestions are welcome from gsm unlocked put onto t-mo. this is a new veer 2.1.2 with app cat updated and working.

app cat works fine over wifi. 3G only, the app cat opens but all pictures are blank.

can i test my sim or my data for errors?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    it shows t-mo, 3G right now, but no data. mms works, pic mail both ways.
    If you can send/receive mms you have a (kind of) working data connection. You can't send mms without a data link.
  12.    #12  
    trying to activate my Veer on t-mo, i have everything working but no internet.

app cat works but no pictures of the apps in the cat.

picture mail, gchat, work over data.

but no websites.

i put together a Pre2 unlocked GSM, doctored it with oem dr., put in sim and activated. all activation is fine. same conditions as veer. apps install, but no internet.

i called T-Mo service and they said webOS is unsupported so call the MFG. haha call HP.

ok so what do i do now?? what am i missing??
  13.    #13  
    suggestions anyone?
    Do you have a non-webOS phone you can test the internet connection with using that T-Mobile SIM? Sounds like a network issue to me.

That being said, have you tried loggin in to your palm profile (or creating a new one) after visiting the doctor? As in: using the phone like it was supposed to, without any homebrew and/or developer tweaks?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Do you have a non-webOS phone you can test the internet connection with using that T-Mobile SIM? Sounds like a network issue to me.

That being said, have you tried loggin in to your palm profile (or creating a new one) after visiting the doctor? As in: using the phone like it was supposed to, without any homebrew and/or developer tweaks?
    both phones have been freshly doctored with their respective oem dr. the att veer and unlocked gsm Pre2 both have drs on the webos internals list.

they each log into the profile thru wifi. they each correctly navigate the app cat update now that im using July 1 as the date. they each work fine over wifi.

they each sho 3G and E symbols. on the pre2 w 2.0.1 i can toggle 2G or 3G.

i have tried internet apn wap.voicestream and epc.tmobile.

no i dont have an att sim to try activating there, and i dont have a tmo phone to try the sim.

they wont do a field test like cdma does so i cant see if theyre on the right mhz for NA. #*debug# does not work.
  16.    #16  
    i give up. can't get t-mo data on two different phones. i went an' bought a net10 sim instead. works fine in either phone.
    Very strange!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Very strange!
    it really is, which is why it's so annoying. i need to either:

- test the sim in a known working phone. because i suspect it's a bad sim.
    - buy another t-mobile sim (the walmart exclusive 5gig for $30 plan that worked last year) and hope it goes better the second time around. but i'm not ready to risk more money on t-mo at the moment. i wish the store rep told me i could have got what i wanted at walmart to begin with.

i am not impressed with the speed of video download, with this Net10 sim I got. prelim usage seems to show that the CDMA 3G, with it's EVDO buffer settings enhanced, seems to work smoother. i'm not seeing a fast download stream as i'd expect from H+. but it's not a hotspot, it's a freetether. i'm sure there's a difference.

plus, there's more than one APN for att mvno's, so who knows their variance. i know "att.mvno" didn't work at all though. i'm using "tfdata".
    set date to july 1 2013 & delete the app catalog in software manager ...perform full reboot & it will put the app catalog on again ...look in app catalog for update which will put on the new security certs ...remember to put the date back afterwards ...done

Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    EDIT: app cat restored. but niw i have data but no internet. can someone please help?
    unlocked pre2 and unlocked veer behave exactly the same.

ell i just have a knack for breaking things.

i was trying to update the app cat cert. i wanted to test if wifi fed Pandora had better continuity over BT with 2.1.2 that's on this vs. 2.2.4 with my Pre2.

so i bypassed, impostah logged into my profile, then got app cat access.

but the cat needs an update. but it won't download its update because it needs that very update to do so.

soo i tried to download it from Preware because i read in a thread it was there. But that was a TP thread. Somehow while trying this, i deleted my App Cat application itself. Well how do i restore that, short of a doctoring?

and what's the current preferred dr. version?

i'm going to eat and deal with this in a few hours. Suggestions are appreciated! (for the catalog, not for lunch)