Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Honestly everyone,

Is the Veer Screen too small to be a good daily driver? I have never seen one in person (and will not, I don't think) and will buy it sight unseen if I get it.

My needs are simple, FB, twitter, email, SMS, streaming music, no games. I'm a big WebOS fan from before looking to drop Android. I'm loving that I can get a new Veer cheap and all the accessories are pennies too. Just worried the screen will be too small.

Thoughts?
    If the screen is too small or just right comes down to personal preference and your eyesight, I'd say.

I have both a Veer and a Pre3 (and sold a Pre2 after getting the Veer). The Veer quickly became my daily driver once I got it, mainly because I prefer how small it is. It does everything I need my phone to do: calls, texts & mails, playing music, rss & forums & web reading. The latter works well if the sites you use offer a mobile version and your eyesight is not too bad. If you only have access to a desktop version of your prefered sites, it is not comfortable to use. I don't use fb, so don't know how well or bad it is to use on the small screen.

When I go on a short trip but don't want to carry the touchpad with me, I take the Pre3 because it is a bit more versatile than the Veer. Also I can just take a spare battery with me instead ot the charger. You can't swap batteries (easily) in a Veer, unfortunately.

If you play a lot of music over non-bluetooth headphones, keep in mind that the Veer uses that weird headphone adapter that makes the Veer a really odd shape to handle. This is really the only big downside of the Veer for me. I wish it was 0.5mm bigger on any side and included a headphone jack.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jefbeard911 View Post
    Honestly everyone,

Is the Veer Screen too small to be a good daily driver? I have never seen one in person (and will not, I don't think) and will buy it sight unseen if I get it.

My needs are simple, FB, twitter, email, SMS, streaming music, no games. I'm a big WebOS fan from before looking to drop Android. I'm loving that I can get a new Veer cheap and all the accessories are pennies too. Just worried the screen will be too small.

Thoughts?
    The Veer screen is the same as the Pixi screen. Have you seen one of those?

It's small if you plan to watch youtube, or if you do a LOT of web reading online you'll be scrolling a little more often to see the whole page. The Veer's original plan was, anything you wanted to see "full screen", you could "tap to share" with your TouchPad and have it on the big screen instantly.

For quick access to the web, for all of the built in apps in the phone, the screen size isn't that big a deal.

The big plus of a Veer is the H+ capability. The trade for that is no battery quick-changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    If the screen is too small or just right comes down to personal preference and your eyesight, I'd say.

I have both a Veer and a Pre3 (and sold a Pre2 after getting the Veer). The Veer quickly became my daily driver once I got it, mainly because I prefer how small it is. It does everything I need my phone to do: calls, texts & mails, playing music, rss & forums & web reading. The latter works well if the sites you use offer a mobile version and your eyesight is not too bad. If you only have access to a desktop version of your prefered sites, it is not comfortable to use. I don't use fb, so don't know how well or bad it is to use on the small screen.

When I go on a short trip but don't want to carry the touchpad with me, I take the Pre3 because it is a bit more versatile than the Veer. Also I can just take a spare battery with me instead ot the charger. You can't swap batteries (easily) in a Veer, unfortunately.

If you play a lot of music over non-bluetooth headphones, keep in mind that the Veer uses that weird headphone adapter that makes the Veer a really odd shape to handle. This is really the only big downside of the Veer for me. I wish it was 0.5mm bigger on any side and included a headphone jack.
    If you bought a pair of LG HBS-700 (not 730) stereo BT headphones, you'd NEVER CARE AGAIN about that little adapter.

I have 2 pairs. I looooooove them. Best. headphones. everrrrrr. lol
    Honestly everyone,

Is the Veer Screen too small to be a good daily driver?
    Honestly, yes.

I had a Pre/Pre 2 for years. The Veer was too tiny. Made the Phone dialer screen too cramped and browsing was a chore. The Pre 2 browsing was bearable, but somehow the loss of those extra 80 lines (17%) of pixels going to the Veer was just enough to make it downright annoying.

Opinions vary, of course.
    My wife thinks the screen is too small but I love the size of it. True, the phone dialer is a little cramped. I have long thin fingers so for me it's okay but I could see how someone with bigger fingers might find it tougher. With what you're describing using it for (very similar to me) I think you'll find it just fine. Besides, at under a hundred bucks, what have you got to lose? By the way, I have gotten a ridiculous number of people tell me they love my Veer. Can't understand how HP didn't manage to turn this thing into a big hit.
    xandros9 likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    The Veer screen is the same as the Pixi screen. Have you seen one of those?

It's small if you plan to watch youtube, or if you do a LOT of web reading online you'll be scrolling a little more often to see the whole page. The Veer's original plan was, anything you wanted to see "full screen", you could "tap to share" with your TouchPad and have it on the big screen instantly.

For quick access to the web, for all of the built in apps in the phone, the screen size isn't that big a deal.

The big plus of a Veer is the H+ capability. The trade for that is no battery quick-changing.
    No, I haven't seen a pixie.. Sorry. I'm a bit late to the WebOS party. I had a TouchPad for a short time and really liked it. Tired of Android crap experience.. Leaning towards a pre2 as they're cheap now but the Veer also intrigues me. From the video reviews I see, it seems too small for a decent all around experience... But still not sure yet. I'd like to like it.. We'll see..
    Honestly everyone,

Thoughts?
    No, the 4.5" and bigger are to large. And the Palm Pixi Screen is decent. Let me put a picture next to some of my phones.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    WP_20131116_001.jpg

I don't know why it is side ways
    xandros9, ananimus and scjjtt like this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    WP_20131116_001.jpg

I don't know why it is side ways
    Thanks! But I can tell you, once you've had a mega sized phone (i have a 5" Android) you get spoiled. Although its kinda big in your pocket, it also becomes a great internet device too. Thats a problem for me. I have a tablet for that so Im also kinda forcing myself to go back to 'a phone for a phones sake" and leave the browsing for a tablet.

anyway, thanks for the pics
    The screen is not too small for me, and the phone is incredibly comfortable. Phnx twitter app is super. FB app was way ahead of its time back in the day, but no updates for a long time of course. My feed comes through with no photos ("attachment unavailable"), but everything else works fine. Hope you decide to try the Veer.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I was recently thinking of buying an Iphone for a minimal upgrade fee but after playing with my daughters phone I realized how much I love the size of my Veer. I have it in my pocket all the time. To surf the net it is a bit of a challenge but I have sat in airports and surfed for up to an hour without too much trouble. But I do carry my TouchPad with me for that when I travel. My phone is mostly used for texting (I have enlarged the font a bit) telephone, email, calendar, music and smartrunner gps. I do use other apps like utube and it's still ok, but these I use the most. I haven't tried a Pre3 but I'm sure if the price was right I'd still like it. Pre- and Pre2 are still good size phones but the keyboard on the Veer is still better than those.
    I have been using the Veer for 2 years and still find it to be very functional. I use my phone as a phone, email and text, plus an occasional game or web browse as needed. I have the benefit of a touch screen in my car that the Veer syncs beautifully with, so it's size is a benefit to me. Fits easily in my pocket and the keyboard is surprisingly good.

I would say the only complaint I have is the charger. The magnetic connection works great, but if you need to borrow a charger because you forgot yours, forget about it.
    I too find the Veer works best when paired with a tablet. I have an ipad and sometimes I switch to it if a website gives me problems or if I need to type a longer email, watch video etc., doesn't happen often but the two together make a great team. Wish I had a touchpad instead of the ipad but I missed out on the firesale.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
    I too find the Veer works best when paired with a tablet. I have an ipad and sometimes I switch to it if a website gives me problems or if I need to type a longer email, watch video etc., doesn't happen often but the two together make a great team. Wish I had a touchpad instead of the ipad but I missed out on the firesale.
    Ebay.. $150 new..
    And mentioned it in the other thread, but the Veer also has that fiddly magnetic adapter for headphones and USB. Easy to lose and hard to replace. And as tiny as the Veer is, it's a bit on the thick side (proportionately) so I thought it felt a little weird in the pocket.

Actually, I'm surprised they didn't make a Pixi 3 instead of the Veer as I think about it.

At any rate, I still recommend Pre 2 based on what you say. My Pre 2 was probably the most dependable of all my webOS phones and is well balanced in terms of hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    And mentioned it in the other thread, but the Veer also has that fiddly magnetic adapter for headphones and USB. Easy to lose and hard to replace. And as tiny as the Veer is, it's a bit on the thick side (proportionately) so I thought it felt a little weird in the pocket.

Actually, I'm surprised they didn't make a Pixi 3 instead of the Veer as I think about it.

At any rate, I still recommend Pre 2 based on what you say. My Pre 2 was probably the most dependable of all my webOS phones and is well balanced in terms of hardware.
    I think they called it the Veer, because of the addition of the slide out keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I think they called it the Veer, because of the addition of the slide out keyboard
    Indeed. I meant I think another thin, more Pixi-like style (though sturdier) would've been cool.
    Honestly everyone,

Thoughts?
    Yes. Which is why it's perfect. A device that does everything I want in a phone, in a form factor I love, with sim flexibility/anonymity and alternative OS with great hackability, and it's just threshold enough to keep the whole thing in perspective. This a phone, not my life. I am really liking the Veer.
    tracks914 and jefbeard911 like this.
    Thanks! But I can tell you, once you've had a mega sized phone (i have a 5" Android) you get spoiled. Although its kinda big in your pocket, it also becomes a great internet device too. Thats a problem for me. I have a tablet for that so Im also kinda forcing myself to go back to 'a phone for a phones sake" and leave the browsing for a tablet.

anyway, thanks for the pics
    I can't really second that...

I'm currently using a Veer as main driver (for over an year now) and currently carry a Galaxy Nexus together with that. For browsing and some other stuff the GN is great (and it has some apps that are not existing for webOS or simply broken)... but as soon as it comes to E-Mail, SMS, or anything else that includes writing text or app-switching I switch back to the Veer.

Actually for web browsing the screen on the Veer is no issue for me either. I don't get a lot of benefit from the bigger screen on the GN. A little... but not that much. The issue is more that the browser on the Veer is ageing fast and on the GN there is firefox which works much better (and also syncs to my desktop, which is really great).

Bottom line is: Even when directly confronted with a 4.65" screen, the small Veer screen would still be sufficient for me. Issue is more that some apps are missing / broken / not so good anymore... other apps are still just great. I especially love the e-mail app.

Of course that is my personal preference, only...
    scjjtt likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast