Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree20Likes
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Someone had told me in a PM that the same SIM is receiving mms on the Pre+ that wouldn't in a Veer, using it's automatic apn settings. They also indicated the mms displays in a text thread separate from it's existing sms thread.

They speculated a change in how later webOS 2.x handled something differently with mms.

But I'm calling for further analysis, because I am suspecting there's a way to observe how the Pre+ is successful in handling it, then applying it to the H+ enabled phones.

This is an interesting nut I'd like to see cracked!
    Is the Pre+ on 2.x? I thought anything older than the Pre2 was stuck on 1.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post
    Is the Pre+ on 2.x? I thought anything older than the Pre2 was stuck on 1.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With the metadoctor, nothing is stuck on 1.4.5. The Pre+ runs very well on 2.1.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    With the metadoctor, nothing is stuck on 1.4.5. The Pre+ runs very well on 2.1.
    Oh, of course.

I should try putting my T-Mobile SIM in my Pixi and see if I can receive MMS...
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I do recall when I tested, I could only ever get MMS to work using the automatic APN settings. None of the manual settings would work for me.
    jlamb0 likes this.
    So, MMS is working on all other phones, but there is a bug in the mms-service that causes it to crash as it is writing the message data into the database for the messaging app. I finally have (well, just there about) the new laptop that I got setup to do builds (I moved from MacOS to Linux -- makes like easier for this). I have a attempt I am going to do for a patch to stop this crash (it is binary, and thankfully the component that I can work on is in the open webOS github). I'd like to just re-write the mms-service; but baby steps.

Hoping to have an update in 2 weeks.

In the meantime, you can see the photos in /media/internal/.attachments/mms/ (the mms-service will attempt to download 4 times, so it will download -> crash -> download -> crash -> etc, so you'll see blocks of 4 folders for each MMS downloaded, if you look at timestamps, and only 1 folder for sent messages). This is if you have the correct default or manual settings.

This carrierdb is the one that I am using with the latest settings: https://github.com/dkirker/webos-pat...b_tmobile.json
    See https://github.com/dkirker/webos-pat...bile-carrierdb
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Grabber5.0 and TJs11thPre like this.
    Ok did some testing today for the cause. Bought a day pass (my sim is on the $3/month minimal plan just to keep it active) and tested MMS on a 1.4.5 Pixi+ (can send and receive), a 2.1.0 Pre+ (can send but not receive), and a 2.2.4 Veer (can send but not receive). So it seems the problem affects all devices on 2.x. I was able to send with both automatic settings and the fast.t-mobile.com settings I got from my N4 on Ubuntu Touch, which can both send and receive FWIW.
    jlamb0 and TJs11thPre like this.
    Sounds like you're getting somewhere!

There must be a way to rip code from the 1.x device, similar to the Bluetooth fix for 2.24. IF it works on ONE webOS device, what is stopping its migration to the others?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    webOS got a major architecture change from 1.4.5 to 2.0, so I very much doubt any components could be used. I suspect the same problem dkirker is looking at on the Pre3 is affecting 2.1 and 2.1.2.
    More than likely. I'd like to very soon just flat out re-write it. I can't see that being hard at all.

I know the exact cause. (Technical stuff coming up!) The mms-service is expecting a specific header from T-Mobile. T-Mobile no longer sends that header, so it is null in the code. The code then uses that value to try to create a MojString object. That violates the contract with the MojString class, so it throws an exception, which causes it all to crash. So... My hack is going to be a modified library specifically for mms-service that doesn't throw that exception. However, I don't know what other dragons are lurking beyond. Hoping to play this weekend.
    Did you know:

Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Sounds like you're getting somewhere!

There must be a way to rip code from the 1.x device, similar to the Bluetooth fix for 2.24. IF it works on ONE webOS device, what is stopping its migration to the others?
    Bluetooth fix? I must have missed this... What was it?
    Did you know:

Can a default value be inserted to replace the missing information and avoid the null assignment that's causing the fubar? Any value that allows Completion of the transmission is sufficient.
    Can a default value be inserted to replace the missing information and avoid the null assignment that's causing the fubar? Any value that allows Completion of the transmission is sufficient.
    The missing value is in the MMS packet from T-Mobile. He's trying to catch it in the first place possible and prevent the crash.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad Go using Forums
    Yeah, the default value is just some ID string. My hope is to instead of create an exception to just use an empty string. Hoping to compile that tonight.
    Did you know:

jlamb0 and TJs11thPre like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Bluetooth fix? I must have missed this... What was it?
    It's pretty old thread here somewhere, but i think someone took the BT info from an older doctor to create the 224 meta doctor for the Pre3. I don't remember if this was John Steffes' doing or Matt's or someone else at the moment.

Anyone remember this?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Yeah, the default value is just some ID string. My hope is to instead of create an exception to just use an empty string. Hoping to compile that tonight.
    Empty is a great alternative if it works! I'm crossing my fingers... =)
    I'm fighting with building the library, but I have been working on it! More updates soon.
    Did you know:

I'm a bit fuzzy on what you're compiling. Did you decompile the library? We don't have the source code for it from HP right?
    We do have the source code. It is libmojocore, which exists in the db8 source code.
    Did you know:

Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Your post is the most recent one I can find that says it's possible to get MMS working on a Pixi+ on T-Mobile. I'm curious as to what setting you are using. I'm using the following settings, but MMS and group messages won't download.

In DataConnectionSettings
    APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Username: none
    Password:

In CarrierNetworkSettings
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 260
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50
    MMS port: 8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 600
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234