Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Yep, mine still acts the same. Can send / receive mms, and can only send video or pictures. No luck with recieving group text or pictures.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    I'm working on setting up a build environment so that I can build a new web browser, and I plan to also build a fix of one of the libraries that ends up crashing the mms service during receive. You will find pictures that were downloaded in /media/internal/.attachments/mms/. However, the service crashes before adding the proper information into the messaging database. (That is what I intend to fix.) It will be a "hack". At some point, I may re-write the mms service.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    KURT B and TJs11thPre like this.
    Thank you, you have my support. I have a spare pre3 I can use as a test mule if you need it.
    anyone make progress on this? i just doctored veer to 224, and with its default settings, it's sending pic mail but not receiving.

i read another forum thread suggesting a fix for a Note 3, in making sure that "IPV4/6" is a selected setting. CAN WE MODIFY THIS IN WEBOS? i don't see it as a menu option in the phone app preferences.

i'm beginning to think we cannot receive picture mail through t-mo because we do not have the ability to use this IPV6 service, whatever it is. Anyone know about this technology?

(incidentally, i'm sending/receiving SMS and sending MMS pic mail (sending only, not receiving) using the default settings from initial setup after activation bypass. these are some old HANDSPRING settings to wap.voicestream using Handspring and hs_null as usernames. i don't remember this working with 2.12 but it is with 2.24)
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 02/01/2016 at 01:38 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Well here i am in this thread again. I've spent the last 6 hours researching if there's a fix for this and i can't find anything.

When i started tonight, i was sending pic msgs, using the same settings i last posted. In my efforts to receive, ive borked the send function.

So there's officially no one receiving picture mail via tmo on a webOS phone? No one. None. Wow.

Idk if I'm going to make it with this Veer. This week I'm dogsitting and tonight i didn't have any Camera flashlight making it much riskier to pick up **** with just a plastic bag on your hand! I never thought I'd miss that flashlight so much!
    Same boat here but...
    I put an AT&T GO sim card into my spare Pre3 and SMS & MMS worked perfect with pictures both ways.
    Called T-Mo and told them AT&T MMS picture sending works, so they opened a service ticket and would get back to me on this problem. If I get a resolution I will post it here.

KB.

Update: They asked me to bring in my pre3 and the sim card to a T-Mo store and shoe them how it works.
    They also will test out the T-mo card on other phones. Hope to get things resolved tomorrow. More to come...
    Last edited by KURT B; 08/12/2016 at 06:43 PM.
    That's excellent, Kurt. Give them a chance to manipulate settings and see if they can come up with a set up that will work for these phones. I sincerely hope you get a tech who doesn't give up easily.

I have my Veer sending pictures successfully, just not receiving. I've read that the APNs have slightly different characteristics. The epc.tmobile supposedly compresses pictures. The fast.t-mobile is supposedly LTE only. But who knows if this is consistent or if things changed over time, or were redefined with their "refarm". Or, how much was simply abandoned when they jumped from H+ to LTE. The H+ is a tricky variable.

Meanwhile, the FrankenPre2 i dropped in the washing machine LIVES!!! This is just another reason why i love this phone so much! I can't believe it's functioning. I left it in a bag of rice overnight. Then put a new battery in.

The screen has a ghost-like shadow shaped like an inkblot test, but can only seen from an angle. Straight on, the screen is perfect. At first would not wake on Touchstone, but is now. So far I've had one mysterious power down. But it's working perfectly otherwise. What a tough phone! I'm carrying both for a few days just to stay connected.

But I'd love to have a fully functioning Veer. If you can be persistent and patient enough with T-Mo, maybe you can finally be the person who resolves this MMS nonsense. Because there's PLENTY of threads describing this problem. And not one solution. I'm sure it's a matter of finding the right settings, including which servers and which file size limit.

I'm currently using manual settings, and the wap.voicestream apn, and sending pictures successfully to Android, apple, and webOS. Just not receiving. All tested today.
    I can't remember why you are using t-mobile.. Does it work better in your area than ATT MVNOs or is it price?
    T-Mo is cheaper, plus I am on a family plan with 3 other "apple" phones. I got the AT&T sim car when on vacation. It was the only carrier that I could get a connection with in the area. Tried it out in the Pre3 and everything worked, no surprise there. Hope to learn more today.

KB

Did not make it to the T-Mo store...yet.
    When I do I'll post it, trying to get there this week.

KB
    Last edited by KURT B; 08/16/2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Same here. Friends bought an unlimited t-mo family plan and don't have enough family. They gave me a spare SIM just to give the Veer some life. Service is OK in Atlanta metro. I'm testing at 5mbps on fast.com.
    Sorry TJ, have not made it to the Tmo store yet, killer busy with work and home projects.
    I will post when it happens.

Kurt.
    No luck at the T Mo store, replaced the sim card and still the same. The tech changed some settings and now I cannot send or receive picture MMS. They said old phones brought over to another carrier will work for a short time but then stop. It seems to be with there network, and not supporting some other carriers phones. He did say Apple works fine between them and AT&T. I will put in a call back to tech support to see if someone might have a better understanding of phones from other carriers.

Kurt.
    I know the exact problem. If you open up the folder /media/internal/.attachments/mms/ you will see a bunch of folders for received MMS messages. At some point in the last 1.5 years you should see that there are batches of date stamps that are similar, in groups of 4. This is where the message was attempted to download. Something like this:

Code:
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 23 12:41 1471981291
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 23 12:41 1471981297
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 23 12:41 1471981301
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 23 12:41 1471981305
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 26 17:12 1472256754
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 26 17:12 1472256759
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 26 17:12 1472256764
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 26 17:12 1472256773
    The problem is that mms-service on the phone crashes when handling the response containing the message from T-Mobile, so the received message is never updated in the messaging app. A "patch" isn't really easy. I have a thought of a binary patch. The only real solution would be to re-write the mms-service. Which, I kinda want to do, but I have a few projects with higher priority... :/
    Did you know:

jlamb0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I know the exact problem. If you open up the folder /media/internal/.attachments/mms/ you will see a bunch of folders for received MMS messages. At some point in the last 1.5 years you should see that there are batches of date stamps that are similar, in groups of 4. This is where the message was attempted to download. Something like this:

Code:
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 23 12:41 1471981291
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 23 12:41 1471981297
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 23 12:41 1471981301
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 23 12:41 1471981305
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 26 17:12 1472256754
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 26 17:12 1472256759
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 26 17:12 1472256764
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Aug 26 17:12 1472256773
    The problem is that mms-service on the phone crashes when handling the response containing the message from T-Mobile, so the received message is never updated in the messaging app. A "patch" isn't really easy. I have a thought of a binary patch. The only real solution would be to re-write the mms-service. Which, I kinda want to do, but I have a few projects with higher priority... :/
    When i looked in that folder, i thought i saw only the outgoing mms pictures, not incoming. Have you confirmed an externally originating photo appeared in that folder?

The suspicion i got was the file's size information was in conflict between t-mo and other carriers devices. That this was why they added an image compression function to the newer, but not LTE, mms address. Something about the compression/decomp being a function of their messaging app, which without it we're getting screwed.

This is only speculation based on hours of reading comments of other poor folks trying and failing to get this resolved.

This is a major hangup preventing me from moving to the Veer permanently. That and no LED flashlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    When i looked in that folder, i thought i saw only the outgoing mms pictures, not incoming. Have you confirmed an externally originating photo appeared in that folder?

The suspicion i got was the file's size information was in conflict between t-mo and other carriers devices. That this was why they added an image compression function to the newer, but not LTE, mms address. Something about the compression/decomp being a function of their messaging app, which without it we're getting screwed.

This is only speculation based on hours of reading comments of other poor folks trying and failing to get this resolved.

This is a major hangup preventing me from moving to the Veer permanently. That and no LED flashlight.
    The directory listing snippet I included there are incoming messages. Two in fact. I've been having to manually check that folder...

There is the problem that if you manually edit the carrierdb and set the max message size too large that T-Mobile will accept and forward that image without resizing it and the other carrier may not accept it. I was able to text images in full res to Sprint customers, but my parents on Verizon weren't getting larger photos. I realized the problem was between T-Mobile and the other carrier (specifically the other carrier... I mean, come on... MMS is supposed to account for this) because they received the smaller images.

I need to verify it, but I have been using this carrierdb. https://github.com/dkirker/webos-pat...b_tmobile.json I think that I have not made any changes (I think I reverted a change I was playing with on my device -- back to what is on Github). I have the referenced certs in here https://github.com/dkirker/webos-pat...arrierdb/certs however they need to be updated.
    Did you know:

Well i hope you find a resolution for this! No one has. You're like Neil Armstrong, walking on the moon, baby!

I'm on the verge of retiring my Pre2 and will carry the Veer and a GS4. I'd love to get this MMS mystery solved.

Keep at it man!
    Waking this up to spread a rumor I suppose...
    ... but I've heard that the Pre+ does receive MMS on T Mobile. I'm waiting and hoping for more info on this but I'd anyone else has aPre+ to experiment with...

If that's true, there must be a way to steal code from that phone to make a patch for Veers and Pre3s, no?

Experts, opinions please??
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    So is everyone on t-mobile just not receiving picture mail and group mails??? No fix for this???

I can't rely on using a Veer on t-mo as daily driver if I'm uncertain about getting all msgs sent to me.
    Pretty much. :-/ It's why I had to move back to my android phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Waking this up to spread a rumor I suppose...
    ... but I've heard that the Pre+ does receive MMS on T Mobile. I'm waiting and hoping for more info on this but I'd anyone else has aPre+ to experiment with...

If that's true, there must be a way to steal code from that phone to make a patch for Veers and Pre3s, no?

Experts, opinions please??
    I know it used to work, but I haven't tested it on my Pre+ in years. It is currently in Washington, DC, so I can't check.
    Someone had told me in a PM that the same SIM is receiving mms on the Pre+ that wouldn't in a Veer, using it's automatic apn settings. They also indicated the mms displays in a text thread separate from it's existing sms thread.

They speculated a change in how later webOS 2.x handled something differently with mms.

But I'm calling for further analysis, because I am suspecting there's a way to observe how the Pre+ is successful in handling it, then applying it to the H+ enabled phones.

This is an interesting nut I'd like to see cracked!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast