Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Alibamboo
  1.    #1  
    Since I broke my last Veer and I still in love with this device, I bought a new one at ebay, but I didn't realize that it is a Veer with an AT&T Branding.

Is there any chance to change the veer to a European OS-version, so that I can e.g. select my mother tongue German as language?

A simple explanation would be really nice!
    - still loving webOS -
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibamboo View Post
    Since I broke my last Veer and I still in love with this device, I bought a new one at ebay, but I didn't realize that it is a Veer with an AT&T Branding.

Is there any chance to change the veer to a European OS-version, so that I can e.g. select my mother tongue German as language?

A simple explanation would be really nice!
    When you first turned on the Veer did it run you through first use? You should have been able to select your language right away. Palm Support : HP Veer for AT&T - Change the language on your HP webOS device I'm not smart on whether a US AT&T Veer will work for your European cell carrier though. This article is a bit dated Unlock your Veer to work on any GSM network | webOS Nation. If you want to redoctor instead of doing a secure erase like the hpwebos.com suggests you could always doctor and that will give you the language options at first use as well and might not be a bad idea anyway since it sounds like the ebay seller didn't wipe the device. WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    When you first turned on the Veer did it run you through first use? You should have been able to select your language right away. Palm Support : HP Veer for AT&T - Change the language on your HP webOS device I'm not smart on whether a US AT&T Veer will work for your European cell carrier though. This article is a bit dated Unlock your Veer to work on any GSM network | webOS Nation. If you want to redoctor instead of doing a secure erase like the hpwebos.com suggests you could always doctor and that will give you the language options at first use as well and might not be a bad idea anyway since it sounds like the ebay seller didn't wipe the device. WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Rod Whitby (in Australia) did buy himself a German Veer due to the fact that Australian networks did not support the AT&T 3G bands his first Veer used. So i assume the reverse may be true, and German or Austrian networks would also not support American 3G frequencies.

He ended up swapping out the AZERTY keyboard for QWERTY from the original...

...wait... i think i already told you this story a week ago
  4.    #4  
    First of all: Thanks a lot!

The Veer works with my Germany carrier without any problems.

I'll follow through the links as soon as possible and keep you informed.
    - still loving webOS -
    First of all: Thanks a lot!

The Veer works with my Germany carrier without any problems.

I'll follow through the links as soon as possible and keep you informed.
    There are various ways.

2.1.1 (European Veer): Has German, Spanish, Italian, French, English and maybe another language.
    2.1.2 (AT&T): Has English and Spanish only!
    2.2.3/2.2.4 (Unofficial available elsewhere, contact me by PM for info) has German, Spanish, Italian, French, English etc.

You cannot flash 2.1.1 Official doctor to the AT&T Veer. You would need to create a Meta Doctor in order to do so. The unofficial 2.2.4 comes in 2 variants: 1 for AT&T and 1 for EU version bus has all languages inside
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Rod Whitby (in Australia) did buy himself a German Veer due to the fact that Australian networks did not support the AT&T 3G bands his first Veer used. So i assume the reverse may be true, and German or Austrian networks would also not support American 3G frequencies.

He ended up swapping out the AZERTY keyboard for QWERTY from the original...

...wait... i think i already told you this story a week ago
    US & EU Veer work on same bands AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Only$ $difference$ $is$ $that$ $EU$ $support$ $900$ $for$ $3G$ $and$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$ $supports$ $850$ $for$ $3G$. $You$ $can$ $cross$-$flash$ $the$ $modem$ $firmware$'$s$ $though$. $I$ $didn$'$t$ $test$ $which$ $bands$ $are$ $supported$ $on$ $the$ $2$.$2$.$4$ $version$ $though$ $to$ $be$ $honest$. $We$ $have$ $3G$ $here$ $at$ $1900$ $and$ $2100$ $in$ $NL$.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    US & EU Veer work on same bands AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Only$ $difference$ $is$ $that$ $EU$ $support$ $900$ $for$ $3G$ $and$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$ $supports$ $850$ $for$ $3G$. $You$ $can$ $cross$-$flash$ $the$ $modem$ $firmware$'$s$ $though$. $I$ $didn$'$t$ $test$ $which$ $bands$ $are$ $supported$ $on$ $the$ $2$.$2$.$4$ $version$ $though$ $to$ $be$ $honest$. $We$ $have$ $3G$ $here$ $at$ $1900$ $and$ $2100$ $in$ $NL$.
    Thanks for the explanation
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You cannot flash 2.1.1 Official doctor to the AT&T Veer. You would need to create a Meta Doctor in order to do so. The unofficial 2.2.4 comes in 2 variants: 1 for AT&T and 1 for EU version bus has all languages inside
    Alibamboo, I recently "stood on the shoulders of giants" and made a simple step by step tutorial on how to use the meta-doctor to do exactly what Herrie is telling you that you can do. Simplified, Updated, no extras MetaDoctor creation The script you need is meta-att-veer-impersonate-wr-2.1.1. So in step 26 you would type ./scripts/meta-att-veer-impersonate-wr-2.1.1 Also see this thread for pretty much the same information American AT&T Veer in white needs a doctor for the german version From that thread and this one, it sounds like you might as well grab 2.2.3/2.2.4 instead though. Your choice. Good luck. (Thanks, Herrie for the great explanations).
  9.    #9  
    I finally managed to change my veer to German, thanks to all the helpful guys here.

Is there an easy way to change the keyboard setting as well?
    - still loving webOS -
    Alan Morford likes this.
    I finally managed to change my veer to German, thanks to all the helpful guys here.

Sorry, just realised you asked a question here. Did you figure out what you needed for the keyboard? If not, what "setting" are you referring to?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    You cant use the 900 MHz band with a ATT Veer imo. The modem firmware is also on another partition, which isnt touched by the doctor. But for at least two years this should be unimportent in Germany. Probably LTE is going to this freq band. So no need / use for it with a Veer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Du musste den keyboard Token überschreiben mit y1 (glaube force overwrite=yes). Unterstützt der Meta Doctor schon Veer 2.2.4? Ansonsten such mal nach Veer europäisieren. Da hat einer die xml und trenchcoat beschrieben. Aber Vorsicht, man kann ein Veer definitiv zerstören!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Sorry, just realised you asked a question here. Did you figure out what you needed for the keyboard? If not, what "setting" are you referring to?
    I would like a German keyboard setting. I know, that it won't match the layout (e.g 'z' and 'y' will be interchanged), but I'm so used to the Veer, that I don't look at the keyboard at all.
    - still loving webOS -
    It looks like it's very possible and would require you to use the meta-doctor again. You would use the same method you did before but joined with the instructions here How to permanently change the qwertz/azerty/qwerty keyboard mapping
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE